Aug 15, 2015, 08:16 AM
RE: Choices - P3, Chroma, Q500

I went through this too. Ended up with both Q500 and a Chroma. My decisions were based on hard look at all the factors.

first off, and i keep saying this - been in photography for 30 years. Video or still - steady counts. Think of the movie "Blair Witch Project". It is an old, old, old adage in photography that a crappy camera on a tripod will produce more *useable* images than a good camera held in shaky hands.

Notice I said USEABLE, not "better". Let me repeat that "useable", NOT "better".

Yes, the camera on the P3 is better, but the gimbal is worse and the bird itself is not as steady. So I went with the Yuneec product.

The other issue is, you will have some accidents, and spare parts are very, very, very important. I found, first had, that both Yuneec and HH were way better than DJI for both pricing and just plain old availablity in spare parts. It is just that simple.

One more thing, for what it is worth - I was real interested in the Solo, but the GoPro gimbal is STILL on backorder. IMO, makes that bird useless - at least to me. According to some European sites, the GoPro gimbal for the Q500 was supposed to come out this weekend (Monday?) , and while i am not holding my breath waiting for it, if and when it does come it, IMO, that will be the game changer. When we can all mount GoPros (even the 4K GoPro) or even SJI400s n these birds, I think that will be a game changer

As far as range goes, yes, the range is limited on the Q50 0 and Chroma, but here in Canada - if you are obeying the law - you are NOT supposed to let your bird out of visual line of sight. However, even if I had permission to do so, with the horrible exchange up here in Canada and our 13% sales taxes, to replace either a 1080p Chroma or a Q500 gobbles up the better part of two thousand dollars.

With all due respect, laws or not, there is no way in I am letting a $2,000 invested OUT of my line of sight. It just ain't gonna happen. So when I see all these guys trying how far our they can send thier birds out of line of sight, with respect, you are nuts. You are gonna hit something, someone that the camera cannot see, and you are either gonna lose your quad or cause damage or worse.

When I was a private pilot many years ago, flying a small two seater Piper, you are constantly, constantly, constantly looking around visually, all directions. Even IFR, you are looking out visually at all times, constantly checking around you. This long range stuff just scares the hell out of me, and I don't care how many flames I get back for saying that.

In the mean time, as others pointed out, there is not clear winner IMO. But in terms of "oh, the Chroma takes crappy stills", well, depends on what you do with it. See below.
Last edited by joneil; Aug 15, 2015 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2015, 08:37 AM
Imagine how good it could be with a better sensor. Imagine how much more useful.

I wonder what version CGO2+ is it?
Aug 15, 2015, 08:40 AM
My $200 point and shoot still takes better photos. Excuse me more useful - of course even "useful" is subjective. While math isn't .
Aug 15, 2015, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek View Post
Is there any way you can take your Chroma out into the country as far away from buildings, powerlines, machines as possible and do a good test then? Even Horizon's test to 600 feet seems on a short side when some users are able to get a fair bit more than that in certain locations. I know most people get less but most people fly in more RF congested areas.
I do want to find out what is really going on, hopefully I will have access to a spectrum analyzer this weekend, or for future flights. Then I can hopefully figure out what is really going on, if it is just lots of interference or something else. As for getting out into the middle of nowhere, the terrain tends to be pretty tough where I live, lots of hills, mountains, valleys, etc.
Aug 15, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjack View Post
My $200 point and shoot still takes better photos. Excuse me more useful - of course even "useful" is subjective. While math isn't .
If you do not mind me asking, how did you mount it and how did you control the camera? Serisouly, I have looked up a few "point a shoot" gimbal (not cheap) and I have asked 3 or 4 times on various forums on this board, has anyone used a point and shoot gimbal on thier quad? Not a single resonse or reply.

so I am very serious, how did you get that shot off your Chroma, because I agree, get not even a 200 dollar point and shoot, but heck, a hundred dollar point and shoot, and go.

for the record too, I have seen $200 point and shoots out perform $500 GoPros too. so seriously tell me your setup, and I'll be putting it in place today even
Aug 15, 2015, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I do want to find out what is really going on, hopefully I will have access to a spectrum analyzer this weekend, or for future flights. Then I can hopefully figure out what is really going on, if it is just lots of interference or something else. As for getting out into the middle of nowhere, the terrain tends to be pretty tough where I live, lots of hills, mountains, valleys, etc.
The issue I had in my area at one time, now gone, was somebody had some kind of power booster, in my neighbourhood, on their computer router to boost wifi. The signal was so strong, their wifi network was stronger inside my house than my own router, even when I was just 15 feet away from my router. No exaggeration at all about this. Because of this I had trouble connecting to my own wifi, no matter what channel I used.

The issue, pointed out me by a couple of ham operators, depending in what some of these guys are doing, the boosted signal could be "bleeding" into other frequencies, other channels, etc, etc. In this particular circumstance I don't think they were using an off the shelf wifi extender like you buy in the store, but something else. Some of these signals go pretty far too. Not hard to imagine something like this possible in your area. Good luck with the spectrum analyizer, love to see what you might come up with.
Aug 15, 2015, 10:21 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneil View Post
With all due respect, laws or not, there is no way in I am letting a $2,000 invested OUT of my line of sight. It just ain't gonna happen. So when I see all these guys trying how far our they can send thier birds out of line of sight, with respect, you are nuts. You are gonna hit something, someone that the camera cannot see, and you are either gonna lose your quad or cause damage or worse.
The frequency of bad drone stories on the news is approaching one per day. We really need to get the word out there, that flying where you cannot see is really dangerous. All of this fun we're having is going to be shut down, and I'm actually starting to agree that we need some regulations, maybe even licensing. I didn't think human beings with the intelligence to fly one of these things could be capable of such stupidity, but apparently we are.

A drone almost killed a helicopter this week. This needs to stop. Somebody is going to die. And, if you're familiar with American politics at all, you know that when somebody dies, it's all over, nobody is listening to your arguments any more.
Aug 15, 2015, 10:25 AM
Quote:
If you do not mind me asking, how did you mount it and how did you control the camera? Serisouly, I have looked up a few "point a shoot" gimbal (not cheap) and I have asked 3 or 4 times on various forums on this board, has anyone used a point and shoot gimbal on thier quad? Not a single resonse or reply.

so I am very serious, how did you get that shot off your Chroma, because I agree, get not even a 200 dollar point and shoot, but heck, a hundred dollar point and shoot, and go.

for the record too, I have seen $200 point and shoots out perform $500 GoPros too. so seriously tell me your setup, and I'll be putting it in place today even
Sorry for the confusion. I do appreciate your posts and knowledge being a professional photographer. I'm frustrated that the 12 MP point and shoot that I carry myself to take photos with takes far better stills than the 16 MP CGO2+. The Chroma is marketed strongly as a supplement to your photography tools aimed at taking photos of yourself and family and in the photos I have taken in that vein are particularly bad. The best Chroma photos I have seen are the ones posted by FreeChip many pages ago where I could zoom in and read the brand of boat on a lake. If my photos were that good I'd be far happier. Im willing to accept I got a bad apple or my firmware is old or lacking.

Can anyone tell what version they have? iPhoto shows it in the camera information window.

I don't see myself buying a several hundred dollar gimbal for a GoPro (although I might) but I probably will fashion a vibration isolated mount since I can control a GoPro remotely over wifi.
Aug 15, 2015, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthmn View Post
I don't get how it won't connect to your phone even? You didn't touch the camera did you?
Never touched the Chroma
Aug 15, 2015, 10:40 AM
Quote:

BTW, there are numerous universal gimbals on which you could install any (many) point and shoots. The Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 can be controlled by a smartphone.

Hmmm. I might have to go this way if I can find a universal gimbal that I can tilt with the ST10+. Then I can have zoom as well.
Aug 15, 2015, 11:47 AM
Quote:
RE: Choices - P3, Chroma, Q500

I totally agree. I see so many of these users trying to out max distance the next guy. So many seem to be relatively young, too. Don't understand where they get the money. I've got a decent amount of disposable income at my age but still wouldn't send these rigs out beyond line of sight.

I too am deciding about P3, Chroma or Q500. Am flying a Blade 350QX3 AP now. And will probably wait until the FAA makes up its mind on the sUAV regs. Just in case they destroy the hobby .

Bill
Aug 15, 2015, 11:57 AM
So it's looking like my cgo2 will not start a WiFi connection. The green light above the camera should be a solid green light and mine will not stop flashing. It seems that it was a complete fluke that this happened at the same time I did the antenna mod.
Aug 15, 2015, 12:07 PM
I found the firmware update page at Yuneec. Use at your own risk.

http://yuneec-forum.com/link-forums/latest-firmware.44/

2.801 is the latest.

There is some suggestion on Yuneec's forum of working on a blurry fix (unspecified).
Aug 15, 2015, 12:12 PM
Can somone check their chroma for me? Just turn it on and see if the green light on the cgo2 goes solid or stays blinking
Aug 15, 2015, 12:16 PM
Quote:

As far as range goes, yes, the range is limited on the Q50 0 and Chroma, but here in Canada - if you are obeying the law - you are NOT supposed to let your bird out of visual line of sight. However, even if I had permission to do so, with the horrible exchange up here in Canada and our 13% sales taxes, to replace either a 1080p Chroma or a Q500 gobbles up the better part of two thousand dollars.

I'm with you on the legal and safety concerns. Wanting better range isn't just about being able to fly far away though. I have no interest in flying so far that I can't see my quad. For me it's about having the signal be reliable and uninterrupted within the relatively short LOS range I do fly. With the Chroma/Q500 the video link can be choppy even at 50m. The farther out we go the less reliable the signal becomes because it's weak to begin with. With the Phantom 3 it's really solid no matter how far I would ever have the need to fly. My eyesight to quad link fails long before the video link does.

With the Chroma, the choppy laggy video link makes some things I want to do very difficult and risky. Like doing a 100m close proximity pass over a sunflower field.

As for recorded video quality, I took two very similar videos of the same location at roughly the same time of morning on the Chroma and the P3A. When I have time I'll post a side by side video of them for comparison.

I do still really like the Chroma but for AP alone the P3 has more than an edge. But with DJI you are completely f###ed when something inevitably goes wrong. With Horizon Hobby you are in very good hands. I have my 10 minute old chroma up for sale but I'm trying to convince myself to keep it because it's just so damn nice to fly/transport/look at/set up/use. If you connect an iPad or iPhone 6 to the video feed you get a MUCH better image than what the built in display offers. Also, buying the best SD card I could find improved my initial problem of the video link being so choppy it was useless when recording was active. This turned out to be the supplied sd card not being up to the task. And the Sandisk ultra I bought on Amazon turned out to be fake. When I tried a store bought Sandisk ultra things got much better.

Quick Reply