Gambler+ build from the UK - RC Groups
Jun 17, 2004, 04:29 PM

Gambler+ build from the UK

Hi all,

I've started building my Gambler+ and I've got the pod and boom together and I'm quite impressed with my first attempt at glassing and using the CF tape!
I've also got the wing done but I didn't do as neat a job as I should have done. I didn't pin eveything to the board properly so it's not exactly precise.
I've got slight gaps between the D tube (forward of the spar) sections at the poly joints. I glued them nice and level so there are no twists between the wing sections but there's probably 1mm gap at the very leading edge between the joints, behind the spar is fine. I'm going to have to make sure I leave a bit of CF tape to use on the leading edge dowels over the joints. Other than that, I'm very pleased with my work so far! I'll post some pics soon.
Allan, or anybody else, is there anything specific I need to look out for when applying the ribbon to the main spar and underside of the trailing edge? I want to make sure I'm getting the maximum strength possible from it due to my not too perfect balsa handywork. Also, is there anything lightweight and suitable to fill little gaps or is it not really a worry?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2004, 04:44 PM
Just another thing I'd thought I'd mention.. I have a 2/3 AAA 300mah nimh pack which weighs 27 grams, is this suitable or is it a little too large for the Gambler?
Jun 17, 2004, 06:09 PM
AustinTatious
Can you fill the gaps with Balsa?
Jun 17, 2004, 06:33 PM
I suppose I could cut thin slivers and fill the gaps, there's a fair bit or thick CA in there anyway. I've been pretty liberal with the thin and thick CA throughout the build of the wing, hope that doesn't add too much of a weight penalty
Jun 17, 2004, 07:36 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Your pack sounds ideal.

On the CF, the instructions in the package are good to follow. Make sure you use a HOT iron to get good stick, and when you use the CA, rub the wet CF with wax paper to be sure the CA soaks in well and the ribbon sticks to the spar. That should do it!
Jun 17, 2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks Allan, I'll get a bit more done tomorrow!
By the way, I finally got hold of some blue and yellow 'Profilm lite'
(Oracover lite) I emailed JPerkins distributors and they sent
me the details of a stockist in the UK. I was surprised how much
more expensive this stuff is compared to something like
Solarfilm.. just under 10 ($17)per 2m roll!

Allan, in the instructions, it states you can add the CF tape to the boom with
glass and also a full weight covering, I intend to do this as I already have some white Solarfilm, is there much of a weight penalty if you're adding all three stages or is there not much in it?
Jun 17, 2004, 10:50 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
It's only necessary to use all three if you're planning on some heavy bumps. I've lawn-darted the pods with only glass and covering, or CF and covering. I just mention doing all 3 for those beginners who plan on some 'hard knocks'. My personal preference is just Glass and regular weight covering.
Jun 17, 2004, 11:18 PM
Well, I'll go for all three, not tried my hand at DLG yet! ;-)
Jun 17, 2004, 11:50 PM
Best filler in my opinion. Use baking soda as a filler and drop in some thin CA. Only downside is that the filler sometimes expands. Real strong though.

JT
Jun 18, 2004, 12:36 AM
Can I put in some microballoons and trickle CA on or can that only be used with epoxy?
Jun 18, 2004, 08:08 AM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Never tried it, but baloons in 5-minute epoxy would be fine and fairly light.
Jun 18, 2004, 10:11 AM
thought I'd just post a pic of my building shabbyness... will it be ok or do you think I should fill it with something?...
Jun 18, 2004, 01:17 PM
Slope beginner
Thermite, how bout some lightweight spackling compound. I have used it before on models that I badgered in the building process. Practically no weight gain.
Jun 18, 2004, 01:40 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
Go with epxy and microballoons, its and important joint.

Mike
Jun 18, 2004, 02:38 PM
I think I'll go with that Mike, thanks. 50/50 1/2 hour epoxy (all I've got) and balloons coming up!...