Jun 17, 2004, 02:18 PM
Thread OP

First post, first plane (Weasel Pro) & first flight (kinda)

My girlfriend bought me a Weasel Pro for Christmas, and on Monday I finally finished building it. I had a lot of help and encouragement from a friend who is into RC planes and gliders, but I suspect his assistance wasnít entirely altruistic. I think heís looking forward to knocking my plane out of the sky, or at least try to, as soon as I learn how to fly.

Iíd like to post some pictures, but am not sure how to upload them with this post. If thatís doable, please let me know how so I can show off my first building attempt.

Edit: Thanks for help uploading my pictures. I hope this works

The plane seems to fly well, but its maiden voyage on Monday was still quite rocky (literally). My friend and I tried to take it out for a test flight on a nice mellow and grassy hill in Morro Bay, CA. Unfortunately inland high pressure kept the wind off of our hill. After trying several other spots, my friend took me to a cliff by the ocean that had a little more wind. If I werenít so excited about finally flying, Iím not sure I would have been talked into tossing my lovely plane off that cliff. On my first toss, I was actually able to do a complete loop, and return it to the top of the cliff. What a rush! I used up that first rush of adrenalin climbing up and down the cliff just a few minutes later.

The usually very consistent wind here on the California central coast has been non-existent since Monday. Iím looking forward to it picking up, so I can fly in a relatively safe spot, and learn the ropes. I live in Nipomo, CA and would love some suggestions on a reasonably safe place for me to lean to fly nearby. If youíre not sure where Nipomo is, itís in between Santa Maria and Pismo Beach on the California coast. I have gotten one suggestion so far, the Oceano Dunes, and am looking forward to checking that area out.

Hopefully the wind will be up for the WeaselFest this weekend! Iíd love to come see the pros fly, but Iím going to the Live Oak music fest with my girlfriend. I do owe her, after all she did buy me the plane J

Glint
Last edited by Glint; Jun 17, 2004 at 03:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2004, 02:31 PM
Your girlfriend probably has no idea what she has gotten you into

Welcome to the sloping fraternity, you will have a blast!

I'm sure the local guys will get in touch soon. Check in on this forum often, it's a great place. Great guys, good info too.

Best of luck,

ericm
Jun 17, 2004, 02:34 PM
oops, forgot about the pics. Click on "Go Advanced" below, then click on "manage attachments". Make sure your pics are under 100K in size. We wanna see your pics, so go for it...

ericm
Jun 17, 2004, 02:34 PM
Slope Seeker
Glint,

To bad you can't make it to the Weasel Fest. That would probably been the best time and place to get all the best Weasel experts at one location to help you out with the Weasel at a relatively safe flying site. Surfimp is a pro at dialing in a Weasel for optimal performance.

I would be interested to hear about different flying site you discover along the central coast. I usually visit SLO a couple of times a year (CalPoly Grad) and look forward to flying my Weasel during my next visit. I have read several posts about flying at Cuesta Ridge. Sounds like a good place to investigate.

Scrambleon
Jun 17, 2004, 02:48 PM
Welcome to slope addiction !.
I used to go to Vandenberg AFB for assignment.
There is a slope site at the beach campsite off highway 1 just outside VAFB on the way to Buellton. I forgot the name of the beach. Never flown there but I have met someone who flew there. The campsite is approx 14 miles off 1.
I miss Jacko BBQ in Nipomo !
Jun 17, 2004, 02:52 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
well strap on your hiking boots because its gonna happen often... lol

hopefully your buddy is ok with planes or your very competant because i know i would have a hard time settin up a weasel with no help... their fairly touch for the cg and the throws need to be setup pretty well for it to fly right... so you cant make it out to weaselfest EITHER day.... were gonna be there sat and sunday....

goodluck

JOe
Jun 17, 2004, 02:58 PM
R U killing the kittens?
Just wait until you start hearing this song in your head all day.....:

"Slope Slope Slope, all day long....
Slope Slope Slope, while I sing this song.....
Gonna fly this slope, gonna make it mine.....
Gonna fly this slope till it's quittin time......
hmmmm....hm.m......hm.....hm.m.m...m...m.hmmmmmmmm mmmm"

or is it just me???
Jun 17, 2004, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your responses and help posting my pictures.

Scrambleon & ZagiCrazy, Live Oak is near Lake Cachuma, which isnít far from WeaselFest. My RC friend is also going to Live Oak, so we may bring our planes and try and sneak away for a few hours. My plane isnít quite dialed in yet, and could really use some help from Surfimp and the other vets. Hmm, I may be able to make it early afternoon on Sunday.

Thinking really hard about this weekend,
Glint
Jun 17, 2004, 03:09 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
haha... DOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

lol

JOe
Jun 17, 2004, 03:20 PM
It could happen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm
Your girlfriend probably has no idea what she has gotten you into
Agree with Eric...just keep reminding her that SHE is the one who got you started! You're in now...no turning back...not that you want to!
Jun 18, 2004, 08:43 AM
Thread OP
It looks like Iíll be able to make it to WeaselFest on Sunday afternoon. As a raw beginner I donít expect to do much flying, but Iím really looking forward to some expert tweaking.

I hope to see some of you there. Now that you know what my plane looks like, youíll know who the lost looking newbie is.

Praying for wind,
Glint (Eric, if you recognize my plane and want to say hi)
Jun 18, 2004, 09:05 AM
characters welcome!
Criminy. Marry the girl. Soon.

...and welcome to RCGroups!

mw
Jun 18, 2004, 10:03 AM
Glint, shoot me an email and I can give you the 411 on the slopes in the Pismo, SLO, Morro Bay area.

-andy
wwww.pbss.org
Jun 18, 2004, 10:28 AM
PlaneCrazy
Just follow the instructions to the tee, if you didnt mark the CG before you built it, its about 4 1/4" back from the leading edge along the fuselage side, dont use your finger, round off a couple of dowels or pencils, also make sure you dont have any more than about 1/4" up and 1/4" down for your elevator control, also if your radio has expo, I would dial in at least neg 25%. also if you take Marks advice get a pre-nup stating that you get all the airplanes

dont be shy, all the Guys/gals like helping others get started.

Welcome and have a Blast.
Jun 18, 2004, 10:45 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
WELCOME TO THE AXIS!

You're taken your first steps into a larger world...

Since it sounds like you are coming to the WeaselFest after all, we'll get your plane flying straight, no worries. And don't forget, there's a BBQ afterwards at Richter's house. Party Time!!

Steve

Quick Reply