Thread Tools
Sep 12, 2015, 04:54 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
leipold's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
Hey Walt, Can I be sure that the bottom gate will be open Friday before noon? I am bringing my trailer and it is so much easier to get in the first gate. Getting out is not a problem.
Thanks, Kerry
I'll be at the field well before noon. Unlocking that gate is first on my list of things to do when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
This event ought to be equivalent to PoleCat; great venue, great food, plenty of parking and good fun.
Gosh.

-- Walt
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2015, 09:31 AM
Registered User
Looking forward to the weekend. Hopefully I can get out of some work commitments and make both days!!!
Sep 15, 2015, 03:42 PM
Registered User
Walt, any thoughts on the "last round will not start after x:XX PM" for sat & sun?
KC
Sep 15, 2015, 05:16 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
leipold's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
Walt, any thoughts on the "last round will not start after x:XX PM" for sat & sun?
KC
Good question -- I should have addressed that in the first post.

On Sunday, we will not start a round after 3:00 PM. Unless we get a whole bunch of last-minute registrations, we'll only have three flight groups, so the absolute worst-case end of flying will be at 3:45.

I hadn't thought about the same thing for Saturday; we generally fly until around 4:30 or so, then hang out waiting for the BBQ. If anybody has to leave early on Saturday, just let me know and we'll try to end a little earlier.

-- Walt
Sep 15, 2015, 06:41 PM
AMA 7224
Leadchucker's Avatar
Just a thought here,check your CAMs and see which version you have. The older ones set to 50,100 and 200 metres, the newer ones to 100,150 and 200 metres.
Latest blog entry: 1938 Rambler build
Sep 15, 2015, 07:58 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
leipold's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker
Just a thought here, check your CAMs and see which version you have. The older ones set to 50, 100 and 200 metres, the newer ones to 100, 150 and 200 metres.
Oh, good catch, Warren! If anybody is stuck with one of the older CAM units, we might have to change the contest altitude limit.

So, does anybody have one of those? I'll ask again at the pilots' meeting.

-- Walt
Sep 16, 2015, 05:10 AM
Model Flight Addict
fhpe77's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker
Just a thought here,check your CAMs and see which version you have. The older ones set to 50,100 and 200 metres, the newer ones to 100,150 and 200 metres.
FYI, the way to tell which one you have is to look at the side opposite to the label. There will be a sticker there that states either:

"v4.0"

This is the 50-100-200 one.

or

"v4.0a - 100-150-200"

At least that is what is printed on my assortment of CAMS. I will reach out to Randy to see if there is an easy way to flash the firmware from v4.0 to v4.0a with a Castle Link or some other USB adapter so us folks with the older units can update them.

-Ray
Sep 16, 2015, 09:57 AM
soarkraut
Soarkraut's Avatar

AMA ALES rules


If this is to be an AMA sanctioned event.......not sure if it is.
A heads up for those of us that are flying the newer radios........

You may want to read the AMA rules for ALES........specially this bit :

5. Any device for the transmission of
information from the model aircraft to the pilot
or timer/helper which would assist the pilot in
finding, locating or centering on thermal or slope
lift is prohibited.

Stirring the pot...............Pete
Sep 16, 2015, 10:34 AM
De Chelonian Mobile!
leipold's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarkraut
If this is to be an AMA sanctioned event.......not sure if it is.
A heads up for those of us that are flying the newer radios........

You may want to read the AMA rules for ALES........specially this bit :

5. Any device for the transmission of
information from the model aircraft to the pilot
or timer/helper which would assist the pilot in
finding, locating or centering on thermal or slope
lift is prohibited.

Stirring the pot...............Pete
Thanks for being a troublemaker, Pete. We expect no less.

This is a sanctioned event, and we'll be following the proposed AMA ALES rules. Altitude telemetry and vario are prohibited.

-- Walt
Sep 16, 2015, 10:47 AM
Registered User
And it means they are not allowed in the plane! Not in the plane and we'll assume you are honest and will not use the information.
KC
Sep 16, 2015, 12:09 PM
Model Flight Addict
fhpe77's Avatar
Okay, Randy got back to me and stated that the CAMs are not field flashable. They would need to be sent back to him for the update. I asked if there is a cost associated with this update and I am waiting for his response. I will try to provide more details once I get them.

-Ray
Sep 16, 2015, 12:11 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
leipold's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
And it means they are not allowed in the plane! Not in the plane and we'll assume you are honest and will not use the information.
KC
We're not goingt to be quite that picky. You can leave your vario in the plane -- just delete the altitude value from the telemetry screen on your transmitter, or put a piece of tape over that part of the screen, or promise not to look at it.

Thanks again for stirring the pot, Pete...

-- Walt
Sep 16, 2015, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by leipold
We're not goingt to be quite that picky. You can leave your vario in the plane -- just delete the altitude value from the telemetry screen on your transmitter, or put a piece of tape over that part of the screen, or promise not to look at it.

Thanks again for stirring the pot, Pete...

-- Walt
Well problem being is if you use the Altis it's also a telemetry module. I use the Altis so I would unplug the cable from the port a/b which would disable the telemetry transmission. I would happily keep my canopy open for inspection but I don't want people to see what else I hide in there, gerbils and such
Sep 16, 2015, 02:49 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
leipold's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
I would happily keep my canopy open for inspection but I don't want people to see what else I hide in there, gerbils and such
Just when I think this hobby can't get any weirder...
Sep 16, 2015, 07:08 PM
Registered User

More BS....Just having fun


What about Zooms on launch....How are you going to deal with that....

I think we should have Zoom Police, we are watching you

Seriously....I'm just kidding, please come to the contest and have a great time. The field is great, the food is great, and weather for the weekend looks fantastic!

John


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contest 2016 SKSS Blue Hen ALES Challenge leipold Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 37 Sep 20, 2016 11:02 AM