Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 25, 2015, 01:18 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Contest

2015 SKSS Blue Hen ALES Challenge

Silent Knight Soaring Society (SKSS)
Blue Hen ALES Challenge
September 19th & 20th, 2015

Come join us September 19th and 20th for the second annual Blue Hen ALES Challenge in Newark, Delaware! The contest will be held at the beautiful and immaculately-maintained SKSS flying field in Delaware's White Clay Creek State Park, located less than ten minutes from the center of Newark. Last year's contest was a lot of fun, and we're hoping that this year will be even better.

Novice pilots: Novice pilots are welcome and can fly for free! (A Novice pilot is someone who has competed in no more than one previous electric soaring contest.) If you've never competed, bring an electric sailplane and have some fun! If you don't have an altitude limiter, we'll have a spare or two for you to borrow.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded each day for 1st through 5th place, as well as for "Best Foamie" and "Grand Champion".

Flying: Flight groups will be man-on-man (non-seeded). Launch height and flight time will be at the CD's discretion each day. Unless conditions are extremely bad, we will launch to 150 meters and fly 10 minute rounds. Landing tapes are 5 meters long.

Food: Lunch will be provided both days, and we will have a barbeque on Saturday evening. A small donation will be requested for each meal.

Camping: Camping will be allowed for a small fee. No open fires or alcohol are permitted in the park. The field has a port-a-potty, but there are no other facilities or hook-ups. (But if you have a really long extension cord, you can charge batteries from the clubhouse.)

Parking: The state park imposes a daily parking fee, which we will collect at registration. Parking is per vehicle, not per visitor, so you can save money by carpooling.

Location: Field lat/long for your GPS is (39.728124,-75.732973).

Lodging: As a college town, Newark has a lot of motels. There is no football game or homecoming scheduled for the contest weekend, so rooms should be available.

Other amenities: Newark suffers from an embarrassment of restaurants and bars. The Deer Park Tavern, Home Grown Cafe, Iron Hill Brewery, and Klondike Kate's are just a few of the delightful establishments awaiting your patronage. And if the two miles to Newark's Main Street is too far for you to drive, McGlynn's pub is only a mile from the field.

Fee summary:
Contest: $35 for two days, $20 for one day; novices fly free
Camping: $20 per tent or RV for the entire weekend
Parking: $8/day for each out-of-state vehicle, $6 for in-state
Lunch: a small donation is requested for each
Last edited by leipold; May 25, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2015, 02:31 PM
AMA 7224
I'm in. One of the best contests going gize, sign up for this one!!
Latest blog entry: Mo' Toys
May 25, 2015, 03:53 PM
Sounds great - I've been looking for my introduction to ALES, and the venue couldn't be better. Oh, and the club ain't bad, either...
May 25, 2015, 07:56 PM
I had a good time last year. A great place to fly and the hosts are great guys. The food was top notch.

Dave R.
May 26, 2015, 06:29 AM
Thermal Hunter
Signed up and Ready !
May 26, 2015, 08:03 PM
ET
I'm there.

Last year I kicked a little butt with my tiny 2 meter motorized Spirit clone. Looking to do better this year so watch out!

Eric
Last edited by eteet; May 26, 2015 at 09:21 PM.
Aug 12, 2015, 03:47 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!

Five weeks to go...

...and I thought I'd bump this thread.

-- Walt
Aug 13, 2015, 10:51 PM

Sunday Only

I have a crab feast on Saturday, otherwise I would be there. Sunday for sure.

Anatol
Aug 23, 2015, 08:13 PM
Just registered, ready to go.
Bill
Sep 04, 2015, 06:32 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!

Two weeks to go...

...and another bump.

The trophies are here! They're stylish, elegant, and practical! One (or more) of these beauties can be yours -- register now!

-- Walt
Sep 08, 2015, 12:53 PM
Thermal Hunter

Saturday night Barbee ???

So Walt,

You guys having the Saturday night Barbee like
last year at the Blue Hen

It was so GOOD !

- Jim
Sep 08, 2015, 10:56 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel
So Walt,

You guys having the Saturday night Barbee like
last year at the Blue Hen

It was so GOOD !

- Jim
Charlie (the BarbMeister) says we are barbecuing. And he should know!

-- Walt
Sep 10, 2015, 11:13 AM
I'm going to try and go on Saturday if the weather is good. Has the altitude limit been decided yet?
Sep 10, 2015, 02:13 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
I'm going to try and go on Saturday if the weather is good. Has the altitude limit been decided yet?
We'd love to have you come and fly! The long-range forecast is looking good for Saturday the 19th.

The altitude limit will be 150 meters. We're trying to make it more of a thermalling contest and less of a landing contest.

-- Walt
Sep 11, 2015, 06:02 AM
Hey Walt, Can I be sure that the bottom gate will be open Friday before noon? I am bringing my trailer and it is so much easier to get in the first gate. Getting out is not a problem.
Thanks, Kerry

This event ought to be equivalent to PoleCat; great venue, great food, plenty of parking and good fun.