Lanxiang Phantom F-4S slat modification / optimization Tipp how to - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Promaetheus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 25, 2015, 04:20 AM
Mini-HowTo

Lanxiang Phantom F-4S slat modification / optimization Tipp how to

The slat system on the phantom F-4S from Shenzhen Lanxiang alias LX-Models is nice, but the concept and realization is very poor and almost not working. The rod-system is wobbly and not precise, this can lead to unstable flight conditions.

I decided to remove the original rods of the system and replace it by a 3.7g servo for each slat. Therefore i constructed servo mounts and servo rods.

After doing this almost no weight difference and very precise steering of all 4 slats without any slackness:

Vorflügel Optimierung / Verbesserung - Slat modification / optimization - Lanxiang Phantom F-4S V1.2 (1 min 42 sec)

Here you can download the dxf files to mill the parts or sew it by yourself with a jigsaw below. Enjoy.
Last edited by Promaetheus; May 28, 2016 at 03:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2015, 09:58 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Can you do this with a 7 channel radio?
May 26, 2015, 12:04 AM
I have a 8 channel receiver. But if you combine the brakes with any other function it is possible with a 7-channel. I fly from grass track so i even would not need the brakes.
Dec 06, 2015, 01:17 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promaetheus
The slat system on the phantom F-4S from Shenzhen Lanxiang alias LX-Models is nice, but the concept and realization is very poor and almost not working. The rod-system is wobbly and not precise, this can lead to unstable flight conditions.

I decided to remove the original rods of the system and replace it by a 4g servo for each slat.

After doing this almost no weight difference and very precise steering of all 4 slats without any slackness:

https://youtu.be/Qo4TvKGXjJs

Here you can download the dxf file to mill the parts or sew it by yourself with a jigsaw below. Enjoy.
Great job. Do you have two servos per wing or just one?
Dec 06, 2015, 01:25 PM
Two servos per wing. 4g servo each slat. That is enough strength.
Dec 07, 2015, 12:50 PM
Quote:

I decided to remove the original rods of the system and replace it by a 4g servo for each slat.

https://youtu.be/Qo4TvKGXjJs

Here you can download the dxf file to mill the parts or sew it by yourself with a jigsaw below. Enjoy.
Nicely done. I just received my F4 and I have been thinking about what to do with the slats. My wingman flying buddy has one and he did the mods per RC Informer. His plane has been stable with the slats extended but he often lands it with no flaps or slats extended. It slows down and lands just fine that way. What has your experience been with the effectiveness of the slats?

Do you have the slats coupled to the flap servo?
Dec 08, 2015, 04:22 AM
RC-Informer mods may be OK, but did not work properly for my slats. There was turbulences, caused of not synchroniously working slats. My mod is working very well, every slat is real precise. The servos are on a separate receiver channel, so i can use or setup them on their own.
Dec 09, 2015, 12:57 AM
Quote:
RC-Informer mods may be OK, but did not work properly for my slats. There was turbulences, caused of not synchroniously working slats. My mod is working very well, every slat is real precise. The servos are on a separate receiver channel, so i can use or setup them on their own.
Agreed, I can see that your mod with adding the separate servos for the slats is much better.

Do you see a significant difference in slow flight stability with the slats extended? They look cool but are they really effective?

Thanks again -
Dec 09, 2015, 02:36 AM
Yes, there is a big difference in slow flight stability and ability. And a very big reason for me is the take-off from the grass track, which is definitely NOT possible with proper set flaps AND slats.

There is a very good and detailed thread about the LX Phantom here in RC-Groups: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2017990
Dec 11, 2015, 02:10 PM

dxf file

I couldn't open the file. Since you have already done the work could you just give me the dimensions between the three holes.
Thanks.
Dec 12, 2015, 11:11 AM

outer slats servo placement

Please comment on installing the servo in the out wing panel. The wing isn't as thick and it looks like this could be a problem.
Thanks again
Dec 12, 2015, 12:26 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude
Please comment on installing the servo in the out wing panel. The wing isn't as thick and it looks like this could be a problem.
Thanks again
He is using a 4g servo.... the small mini kind. Alternatively you can but thin wing servos.
Dec 13, 2015, 02:43 PM
There is no problem to apply 4g Servos to the outer wing. The file is a dxf-file for milling. The hole-distances are the same than the original ones. The plastic is 7mm longer, the distance to this additional hole is 5mm.
Dec 13, 2015, 02:53 PM
[Q2UOTE=Promaetheus;33436104]There is no problem to apply 4g Servos to the outer wing. The file is a dxf-file for milling. The hole-distances are the same than the original ones. The plastic is 7mm longer, the distance to this additional hole is 5mm.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your info.
Dec 13, 2015, 04:07 PM
You´re welcome! Post some pics and videos if you are done with the project!

Quick Reply