Dec 07, 2016, 12:29 PM
MM3P,P3P,P4P+,M2P,Solo,X-380
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenman222 View Post
So let me get this straight. You are not using the 3 wire cable that has the pitch signal, 5 volts and ground?
You are correct, I guess. there are two cables. One is the power supply, it's a two conductor cable that has a JST plug on one end, and a locking plug on the other. THAT's the cable I'm using. This makes the gimbal strictly a 2D self-leveling gimbal with no manual controls. the other cable, the three pin, that allows you to adjust the tilt while the quad is in the air, has not been connected yet, because I don't have one long enough. I still have to make one up.

So, anyway, while watching some video from a flight, I noticed that when I go into a banking turn, the gimbal tilts against the roll (as it should) but takes forever to recover from that tilt, while the quad is now flat and level again, making the video tilted in the opposite direction.

Having written this, I don't think that adjusting the gain at the base station has anything to do with my problem, does it?
Last edited by mikelberry; Dec 07, 2016 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2016, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry View Post
You are correct, I guess. there are two cables. One is the power supply, it's a two conductor cable that has a JST plug on one end, and a locking plug on the other. THAT's the cable I'm using. This makes the gimbal strictly a 2D self-leveling gimbal with no manual controls. the other cable, the three pin, that allows you to adjust the tilt while the quad is in the air, has not been connected yet, because I don't have one long enough. I still have to make one up.

So, anyway, while watching some video from a flight, I noticed that when I go into a banking turn, the gimbal tilts against the roll (as it should) but takes forever to recover from that tilt, while the quad is now flat and level again, making the video tilted in the opposite direction.

Having written this, I don't think that adjusting the gain at the base station has anything to do with my problem, does it?
The xk gimbal comes with its own 3 wire (black,red,white) cable to connect from the gimbal card to the xk380 bottom three wire socket. You need this connected for pitch drive and I'm not really sure what the 5v does in the gimbal. Let me know if plugging in this cable and changing your gimbal gains in the ground station to 0 helps you. I believe it will.
Dec 08, 2016, 12:42 PM
Flyin High
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelberry View Post

If you have no signal or maybe even power going to the gimbal and the gimbal is just hanging there, you will need to balance it to an exact level or it will tilt. It probably will tilt anyway because it needs power to balance the motor magnets. If there is no power to the motors they will set themselves wherever the magnets catch the closest disc, and these gimbals are in no way built where the magnet/disc is level horizontally. If you have no power or signal and have an FPV cable attached to the camera, the air passing by that cable will also affect the tilt. Even the camera lens being off center can catch air and move the gimbal one way or the other. Just my opinion.
Dec 08, 2016, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Mayhem View Post
If you have no signal or maybe even power going to the gimbal and the gimbal is just hanging there, you will need to balance it to an exact level or it will tilt. It probably will tilt anyway because it needs power to balance the motor magnets. If there is no power to the motors they will set themselves wherever the magnets catch the closest disc, and these gimbals are in no way built where the magnet/disc is level horizontally. If you have no power or signal and have an FPV cable attached to the camera, the air passing by that cable will also affect the tilt. Even the camera lens being off center can catch air and move the gimbal one way or the other. Just my opinion.
He has connected his 12 volt and ground wire, but has not connected the 5v , signal, and ground wire. The 12 v will give him his gimbal stabilization voltages. I'm not really sure what the 5v does. It's not even used in a g2d gimbal. His gimbal is the xk gimbal and hIs horizon is slow to recover during quad yaw. Which I believe can be made better through changing the gimbal gains to 0 in the ground station. You will never get rid of all the lag, all gimbals have problems with this.
Dec 08, 2016, 11:25 PM
Flyin High
Quote:
He has connected his 12 volt and ground wire, but has not connected the 5v , signal, and ground wire. The 12 v will give him his gimbal stabilization voltages. I'm not really sure what the 5v does. It's not even used in a g2d gimbal. His gimbal is the xk gimbal and hIs horizon is slow to recover during quad yaw. Which I believe can be made better through changing the gimbal gains to 0 in the ground station. You will never get rid of all the lag, all gimbals have problems with this.
I get the slow recovery on both of mine no matter where I set the gain or how well they are balanced. These xk gimbals are poor with weak motors. I found a somewhat suitable replacement motor but have not had the time to machine down the mounting side to fit the pot. I have searched everywhere for a direct replacement with no luck and xk is ZERO help. So as far as the slow roll recovery goes... we are all out of luck if we want smooth operation. When I get around to mounting the new roll motor I will post back how it worked. Who knows? A diff motor might do the trick or it might make it worse or stay the same. Either way I have no choice in getting 1 of them back in the air.
Dec 09, 2016, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Mayhem View Post
I get the slow recovery on both of mine no matter where I set the gain or how well they are balanced. These xk gimbals are poor with weak motors. I found a somewhat suitable replacement motor but have not had the time to machine down the mounting side to fit the pot. I have searched everywhere for a direct replacement with no luck and xk is ZERO help. So as far as the slow roll recovery goes... we are all out of luck if we want smooth operation. When I get around to mounting the new roll motor I will post back how it worked. Who knows? A diff motor might do the trick or it might make it worse or stay the same. Either way I have no choice in getting 1 of them back in the air.
The G-2d gimbal has the same problem. I have watched videos on other gimbals as well. Look at the horizon during yaw on you tube videos. I hide mine a little during editing. SO do others.
Dec 09, 2016, 06:22 AM
Hello Guys, Can anyone give me a link to where i can buy the XK380 FPV KIT on the net in the E.U. OR China.

I don't use ebay or palASS Sorry, Papal any more, to many run in's with them. I can't see it on banggood or Gearbest !!!!

Many Thanks. Rolex.
Dec 09, 2016, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
Hello Guys, Can anyone give me a link to where i can buy the XK380 FPV KIT on the net in the E.U. OR China.

I don't use ebay or palASS Sorry, Papal any more, to many run in's with them. I can't see it on banggood or Gearbest !!!!

Many Thanks. Rolex.
http://xt-xinte.com/?mo3g=goods&id=24149 try this
Dec 09, 2016, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Has anyone explored alternative battery solutions? I'm looking at six Samsung INR18650-30Q for a total of $30, to be soldered together in a 3S2P pack. They have 3Ah capacity and 15A continuous discharge, which of course turns into 6Ah and 30A in a 2P configuration.

Unofficial testing by the vaping community has proven they can withstand continuous 20A draw (40A in 2P) without trouble.

This would be significantly cheaper than a stock XK 5.4Ah battery ($48 on Gearbest), have around 10% more capacity, and even be a touch lighter (around 48gr per cell = 288gr versus 320gr for the stock battery). The downside is, of course, that it needs to be soldered up and mounted at least partially outside the casing (or require a frame swap).

I have one diy pack of those tested, 10min till 10.6v, stock lipo around 16 min.

Bateria (0 min 39 sec)

The quadcopter seems smoother, if you want i can do another test with full video and another voltage and equipment (only drone or fpv, gimbal..) the only thing i have always plugged is the minimosd
Dec 10, 2016, 05:17 AM
Still looking gps module for my xk 😥
Dec 10, 2016, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalikikopa View Post
Changing the fc to APM is not really a simple procedure. You need to consider many things. There is a lot of work to get the APM to fly well.check out the cheerson thread on that. The apm throttle is different so the spring loaded throttle mkjes it a bit strange when using the stock controller. You will lose the Auto take off and landing feature so if that is important then not so good.im sure there is more but those were the big ones.
That being said. It is an entirely different quad when done. I started messing around with a mini Apm for a bit. Had to desolder everything from my fried control board and add the APM power supply. I was able to use both the compass and the GPS from the x380.
I dealt with some issues with APM because it is at its end of life cycle but performance is way different. The quad would pretty much hold its altitude in forward flight at a 45 degree angle. It is FAST! It does not fly like the original quad, so it you like the way it flies now probably best not to change it.

About the APM being outdated. I eventually gave up on the APM and installed a pixhawk. Doesn't fit too well in the shell. But it is worth it over the APM. I now have a pixracer that I will install in my spare x380 she. I finally finish some projects that I need to do first.
do you ever change the original gps module xk x380 with the other gps module? Cause is not easy to found original gps module.
Dec 10, 2016, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genta46 View Post
The xk500 module is the same.
You can put any m8n or bn-880, don't know if you need to config them first.
Dec 10, 2016, 10:31 AM
Quote:
do you ever change the original gps module xk x380 with the other gps module? Cause is not easy to found original gps module.
I have a pixhawk with bn-880, integrated compass in the gps, the pix also have compass, two redundant compass and works fine.

The problem is the controller, had to mod the conection on one gimbal to reverse it, the headless channel is the flight mod channel (only two modes) and i'm going to try the gimbal tilt function because is not an analog input and is not a plug and play thing.
Dec 10, 2016, 01:27 PM
Quote:
get on this website and ask for gps. There are a couple of venders on this site.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9112...81390721356701
Dec 11, 2016, 09:55 PM
Quote:
get on this website and ask for gps. There are a couple of venders on this site.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9112...81390721356701
yeah i've answer at xk x380 owner group in facebook. But no one answer if they had the gps module.

Quick Reply