May 24, 2015, 03:26 PM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP
New Product

RCTimer ZeusCam A-G4

Good Day Everyone!!!
I had the chance to test a new Gimbal from RCTimer, Called the ZeusCam A-G4

This is a great Plug-N-Play Gimbal as long as you mount the Gimbal directly center under the craft!
So for the good points, all in one gimbal with the newest AlexMos Gimbal 32 bit controller, it is a licened serial number unit, so you can take advantage to the latest updates and Beta firmware and all of the bells and whistles in the GUI by Basecamp! It has thumb screws and bracket to hold the GoPro3, Since the GoPro 4 is a little thicker, it will accept a GoPro 4!
Has a Pitch and Yaw control ports for connecting to your RX unit so you will need 2 open PWM channels to take advantage of the Yaw and Pitch!!
Now it has been setup to control the pitch and yaw, but if you are using knobs to control it, center position on your knob means it will hold position.. by turning the knob plus or minus the gimbal will move in that direction, then you must return it to middle position to stop and hold that position, the more you turn the knob the faster it will move!!NOW IMO that is a pain so you can connect to a computer and change it from Speed mode to Angle mode. Angle mode means where ever you turn your knob to it will hold that position!!! To configure, it is in the RC tab of the GUI, just check mark Angle!!

Now in the video I tried to mount the Gimbal to the forward part of the craft (TBS and F450), if you do this you need to re-tune the gains to compensate for prop down wash, not so much on a TBS Discovery... IMO all gimbals work way better when the Gimbal is center under craft, this is why all professional Octo and Hex Gimbals are dead center under craft!!!
The first part of the video I had a slight jello, should have put on a ND filter so the GoPro would stop down the shutter a little, the last video shot over my house the gimbal was moved dead center of the craft, but down low enough the props did not come in to view!!

Now the down side, there is no video cabling thru all of the axis... so you will have to run a video cable, I used very soft flexiable silicone cable, I could go 360 degrees at least 1 and half times in any direction before the cable would wrap itself, to the point where it would stop!! Now reality is, not to many if any use the 360 degree capability, since we use the gimbal for FPV viewing and flying... So spinning that around could get you lost in to which way the craft is pointing... Now on my TBS Discovery I installed 2 VTX's, one on channel 1, the other on channel 5, then I used 2 monitors, one for the FPV pilot Camera and the other to view the GoPro Gimbal!!
Also, wish they would have put the roll pin connection, since you can configure that to accept PPM, S-BUS or even Spectrum RX units.... then you can use a single connection and be able to use ALL the bells and whistles of the board!!!!!

The power of the AlexMos board is... I re-configured it so I could select Follow Yaw locking it to forward flight or select Compass direction lock, by using the Yaw input pins.
So I configured a 2 position switch, position 1 Follow Yaw, then Position 2 Compass direction lock!! As you will see the compass direction lock can be a very good tool if it is windy since the craft will dance around and yaw to try to keep it in position, which in turn will cause your camera to slowly move left and right a little, with compass direction lock, no matter what the craft is doing the camera will stay looking in that direction!! BUT if you use the camera for FPV flying you can become disorientated in which way the craft is truly flying!!

The gimbal is very well made, has a LED on the Pitch motor, Green power good, Red battery low. If you have never had a AlexMos board, it has battery warning setup... just like a FC you can set the voltage to start audio warning and also turn off the motors when the battery gets too low! Go to http://www.basecamelectronics.com and read the manual to see all of what it can do!! and the software.. you will not be able to see in the GUI all of the bells and whistles until you connect a serial licensed board!

Here is the link to the product.
http://www.rctimer.com/product-1344.html

RCTimer ZeusCam A-G4 TBS Discovery E800 F450 E300 (4 min 33 sec)
Last edited by D Dale; May 24, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2015, 02:42 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
I'm looking to replace my Fei-Tech gimbal at some point this year.

Nice write up but what makes this gimbal special? Price is decent.

Spar
May 26, 2015, 02:52 PM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1717
I'm looking to replace my Fei-Tech gimbal at some point this year.

Nice write up but what makes this gimbal special? Price is decent.

Spar
For me is the AlexMos controller!! they constantly making the software and hardware better!!

I have had other gimbals without it... you are so limited to what I want to do!!
As stated the only draw back of this one is, you only have 2 control ports... But I got it to do what I want, with very little effort!

Thank you for the kind words!!!
May 27, 2015, 01:05 AM
Free fall is not free
Are you able to connect this gimbal with the AM iOS or android apps?
May 27, 2015, 01:13 AM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Are you able to connect this gimbal with the AM iOS or android apps?
I was gonna open it up and see if there is serial connection for connecting a BlueTooth!!
But no there is no BlueTooth built in!
Jun 05, 2015, 12:24 PM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP

Screen shot of setup

A few have asked about setup...
Of course you mite have to tweak a little to suit your setup... I find mounting the camera forward of center of craft can change how it reacts!
These are settings being center and forward about 2 inches on a DJI F450 with a E300 system
Jun 05, 2015, 11:49 PM
Sweet setup Dale and thanks again for all your help! Here's my setup. I have a Tarot 650 and installed longer arms and slightly swept the front arms back to reduce turbulence to the gimbal.
Last edited by SkyProductions; Jun 05, 2015 at 11:54 PM.
Jun 06, 2015, 12:06 AM
Hey Dale. Did you ever get a message on the GUI' "Accelerometer is not calibrated"?
Jun 06, 2015, 01:15 AM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyProductions
Hey Dale. Did you ever get a message on the GUI' "Accelerometer is not calibrated"?

Yes you get that when you update the firmware... It is easy it's just a 6 axis calibration... just do the camera IMU!!
That is a nice looking machine you got going there!!!
having your arms extended you should not have to have the gimbal that far out in front... the more center to the craft the better it works, less time spent tuning it!
Jun 06, 2015, 01:53 AM
Got it! Keep the gimbal as close to the center as I can. Did the Camera IMU calibration and that message went away. The only error message I'm constantly getting is "Motor is missing steps". Do you know what that means?
Jun 06, 2015, 02:01 AM
I just found this message somebody posted about motors missing steps...

It is indication of nothing else than that the motor has skipped steps. That happens easily if you disturb the gimbal by hand etc. or if follow or joystick speed or acceleration is too high. If the gimbal is working ok, no need to worry about it.
Jun 06, 2015, 10:10 AM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyProductions
I just found this message somebody posted about motors missing steps...

It is indication of nothing else than that the motor has skipped steps. That happens easily if you disturb the gimbal by hand etc. or if follow or joystick speed or acceleration is too high. If the gimbal is working ok, no need to worry about it.
Yep... missing steps I get on all my alexmos controllers... I think their boards have surpassed the quality of what motors can handle
Jun 11, 2015, 03:34 AM
Just bought zeuscam that came with the new av input. Use DHL express, got it in 2 days but it came faulty. What a bummer. I just send rctimer an email and see what they will do. WIll keep you guys updated.

see here:
Faulty rctimer Zeuscam a-G4 (1 min 24 sec)
Jun 11, 2015, 10:31 AM
Zero Cash Money
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaber1118
Just bought zeuscam that came with the new av input. Use DHL express, got it in 2 days but it came faulty. What a bummer. I just send rctimer an email and see what they will do. WIll keep you guys updated.

see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gM_xPESwSA
Is that a video wire running thru there... did you do that?
Mine did not come with it...
It looks like your video wire is too tight that is why the pitch is trying to tilt down and the wire is pulling it back up!!
Jun 11, 2015, 04:21 PM
Hey, I was about to order the DYS Maricia, but would you recommend to buy the zeuscam?

I just had a dys smart 3 but that wasn't stabilising enough, and loads of jitter.

Quick Reply