HMB-235 from MultiRC - RC Groups
May 24, 2015, 01:30 PM
How high will it go?
Discussion

HMB-235 from MultiRC

I got one of these after listening to the owners talk on the crashcast. They sounded a lot like me so I figure give it a shot. What I got is a very well manufacture FPV racing frame with a lifetime guarantee on the main part made from HDPE.

HMB stands for "hold my beer" and watch this, because of how tough it is. Description from their web-site:
The HMB-235 was designed to be a tough, extremely durable FPV mini quad that protects your electronics. The frame was community named "HMB-235", otherwise known as "Hold My Beverage", and at it's release at SEFF 2015, it surely lived up to that name. Everyone from the absolute beginner to experienced multirotor and helicopter pilots flew, crashed, and flew again! Check out Matt Vaudrin's video from our noon time demo where Karl Kethler "Karled" it in (on purpose).

You can purchase here:
http://multirc.com/hmb-235/

I don't have much FPV experience, especially racing. I have a H107D that I started practicing with now I am graduating to the 250 class. I have about 6 FPV flights on it now. I had 3 crashes with only one broken prop.

My specs are:
Naze32 funfly (cleanflight)
2206 1500kv motors (possibly overkill)
5" HQ props, 5x4-3 (max prop size is 5"
Bearhug 2-6S ESC from readytoflyquads (BLheli and oneshot)
Orange sat receiver
Mobius
Eachine FPV 200 VTX and 700TVL camera
Fatshark V2

So far I have tried 3S 1000mah and 1300mah in FPV. I did some tuning with 4S, but haven't flown FPV with 4S yet.

Tuning flight:
Tuning the HMB from multiRC on 4S (1 min 9 sec)

First FPV flight:
First FPV 250 flight (2 min 49 sec)

Second FPV outting practicing some racetrack:
Racetrack practice? HMB FPV250 racing (3 min 13 sec)
Last edited by antslake; May 24, 2015 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2015, 12:00 PM
Super windy for its maiden. But this lil guy is saweet. This is a perfect budget build fpv runner for a guy who is sick to death of zmr/emax. Not that they are not fine rides.

But if you want to have somethin different this is it.

Flies like a champ. Im gonna have fun with this one.

Tried for a budget build with still good and fast equipment. It all works like a champ.
Sn20a escs 2204 motors that are $60 a set a china cc3d and the $30 vtx cam combo. Its a winner.

Hold my beer. Imma go fly!

Thanks MultiRc for my Memorial weekend project.
May 25, 2015, 12:02 PM
How high will it go?
I think this frame is going to be a whole lot stronger than those cheap China racers. What did you use to paint your frame?
Latest blog entry: FAA registration
May 25, 2015, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake
I think this frame is going to be a whole lot stronger than those cheap China racers. What did you use to paint your frame?
Sharpie paint marker lol
May 25, 2015, 05:39 PM
How high will it go?
Let us know how well it holds on there! I may have to go buy a marker now.
May 26, 2015, 10:24 AM
Builder of flying things
Ok, I'll throw mine in too. Don't have any FPV gear on it yet. Fly's very well!
I know several folks that have the HMB and are very happy with it!

Mini PDB
Ice Blue series ESC
Advanced series 2204 - 2300 kv
Flip 1.5 FCB
GemFan 5-4 props
All electronics are from RTFQ

I met Mark and Shawn at SEFF. These are two of the friendliest, and most helpful guys you'll ever meet.

Jim
May 26, 2015, 10:25 AM
Builder of flying things
Oops.....forgot the pic!
May 26, 2015, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwhite
Super windy for its maiden. But this lil guy is saweet. This is a perfect budget build fpv runner for a guy who is sick to death of zmr/emax. Not that they are not fine rides.

But if you want to have somethin different this is it.

Flies like a champ. Im gonna have fun with this one.

Tried for a budget build with still good and fast equipment. It all works like a champ.
Sn20a escs 2204 motors that are $60 a set a china cc3d and the $30 vtx cam combo. Its a winner.

Hold my beer. Imma go fly!

Thanks MultiRc for my Memorial weekend project.
I was very close to buying this frame. I love the color detail you've added.

Have a video link? I don't see a recording cam, so i suppose not...
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM
Never heard of sharpie paint markers but I'm gonna get some now. Totally gonna steal that red outline scheme :-)
May 26, 2015, 01:23 PM
Craft section at wally world. Steal away! It chips off some when drug on concrete lol. But just reapply.

I dont have any vids. I dont do that much really. Dunno why. Just think why would anyone want to watch lol.

But this lil guy is a blast. Have had an ear to ear grin every time i fly it
May 26, 2015, 08:41 PM
+1 on the HMB! I bought one at SEFF and have been having a blast with it. I had to buy it after seeing one face plant from about 30 feet up next to me at SEFF. They slapped a new prop on and took off again with no issues. And.......... a free replacement frame if you break it??? That's crazy!! I honestly can't see this frame breaking..
May 27, 2015, 01:47 AM
How high will it go?
Had a third outing with it today. I need more battery packs, lol! I think that was 12.5 flips and one broken prop.

3rd time out, window virgin (4 min 16 sec)
May 27, 2015, 06:07 AM
Nice vid!
May 28, 2015, 07:17 AM
These guys really have a nice product here. For a new pilot and his first 250 quad I think it's way better then a CF frame.
May 28, 2015, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETNC
These guys really have a nice product here. For a new pilot and his first 250 quad I think it's way better then a CF frame.
I agree. When building mine I intentionally tried to do a budget build but yet still high performance as possible. I wanted to show a friend that the china box quads were not the only budget fpv rocket.

I was able to have a full fpv ride. Excluding the 4s lipo for just over 200 bucks. Thats with good, imo , 2204 motors.

The china $27 vtx-cmos cam combo is legit for the money.

Best part is with minimal tuning this thing feels great. Was kinda worried that the flex in the arms (just bein honest) would be an issue. But it flew as well if not better than some quads ive had that cost three times what the HMB costs.

Well done guys.

Just a suggestion. May wanna do a thread in the mini quad section too. May get some good exposure there. Maybe i just couldnt find it either.

Thanks guys for the sweet little frame with the best name ever!