Scratch build Houston Hawk look alike - RC Groups
May 23, 2015, 05:24 PM
Build Log

Scratch build Houston Hawk look alike

Well I needed a project and had a bunch of balsa laying around so I thought I would build a Houston Hawk look alike. I always liked the wing on that plane and was going to buy a short kit and plan and build one.

Then I thought, why not draw up a plan based on what the Houston Hawk looks like and build my own design. I'm going to call it the "Horn Tip Hawk" based on the winglets.

I did some things a little different from the Houston Hawk. The HH was a plug in wing or shoulder mount wing. I had started building a fuselage a couple years ago and never finished it, so I thought I would finish it and use it for this plane. It meant the wing needed to sit on top of the fuse. I made the wing a 3 piece wing with the center section being 56" and the outer wings 32" each.

I had another plane that had a S3021 airfoil and used the ribs from that plane as a template. However after cutting all of them out based on this wing planform. Then sanding them I don't know what airfoil I ended up with (EEK). I'll call the airfoil HLOR airfoil (Hogs looks about right airfoil). I also caped all of the ribs, so I had to take that into account.

I used the build logs for the original Houston Hawk as a guide, but just plugged along with my thoughts, right or wrong.

I also wanted to do something different with the color scheme, so I came up with black, purple and pink. I think I will have no problem seeing it, even with my old eyes.

I took photos as I built it, so I'll try and post the photos in the order I built it. So this is more or less a photo journal of the build.

I do want to thank Jack ("Darth Hawk Daddy") for designing a beautiful plane. Even though my plane isn't a true Houston Hawk and I'm sure it won't fly as good as the real Houston Hawk, it does look very much like it.

I hope you enjoy the build and photos. I'll post some photos and comments. Then post some more and comments until all the photos are posted. I hope this doesn't bore you.

Eddie
Last edited by hog2soar; May 23, 2015 at 08:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2015, 06:38 PM
And the final pictures. I haven't weighed her yet. She should be around 60 ounces.

Thanks for looking.

Darth, if you see this, thanks for designing a beautiful bird and inspiring me to build my first scratch build.

Eddie (aka Hog Hawk copier)
May 23, 2015, 08:00 PM

Hmmmmm,,,,,,,,

Ummmm, I think that will probably fly OK , sorta hard to say though. Ha, Ha,

Actually, it's probably good that you have a prop and motor just so you'll be able to pull that thing back down to the ground after awhile, otherwise I think that thing would just stay up in the air forever if you aren't proactive about getting it back down somehow. Good thinking-ahead there.

That is truly another Gem!

Thanks for posting that - Paul
May 24, 2015, 04:08 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Beautiful!
May 25, 2015, 10:23 AM
+1 Beautiful! I am partial to drawing and building your own plane even if based on a fine flyer already in existence. You tip your hat to Darth and the Hawk and that's great too. Thanks for sharing the build and final plane. Let us know how she flies. Those colors really pop! Nice eye, Eddie.

W
Last edited by wingloada; May 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM.
May 25, 2015, 03:33 PM
registered weapon
Eddie... I hate to point this out publicly, but I see what could be a huge problem with this arrangement... (I placed a small arrow) ???

now quit playing w/sailplanes till you get these MAJOR problems in line....

* another beauty my friend Thanks for posting! Looking forward to the flight report. Happy Memorial Day to you Sir...
May 25, 2015, 06:04 PM
Laughing on the floor, Woody! Thanks for that.
Bill
May 25, 2015, 07:34 PM
registered weapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingloada
Laughing on the floor, Woody! Thanks for that.
Bill
Sorry Bill... I just find it appalling that Eddies yard is in such shambles and he's inside designing and building another sailplane.

May 25, 2015, 08:03 PM
Woody,

I'm glad you pointed that out. I'm going to really get after my wife to do a better job in the yard.

Thanks guys for the compliments. But it's easy copying other peoples work. How do you think I got through school.

I hope Darth and the rest of the people in Texas are doing ok.

Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY
Eddie... I hate to point this out publicly, but I see what could be a huge problem with this arrangement... (I placed a small arrow) ???

now quit playing w/sailplanes till you get these MAJOR problems in line....

* another beauty my friend Thanks for posting! Looking forward to the flight report. Happy Memorial Day to you Sir...
May 26, 2015, 05:22 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Eddie....

That's as pretty a model as I've ever seen.... except.... what's that thar thang on the nose!?!? Seriously... beautiful job... and thanks for the concern and honorable mention... ... We're OK so far on the weather, other than getting my big mower stuck in the yard Sunday afternoon. I refuse to gripe about the rain after 10 years of not enough.

Darth Purista........ AKA....... Darth Windbag....... AKA........never mind.
May 26, 2015, 05:59 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Eddie, wow yet another masterpiece. Everything you make is wonderful. I really like that little splash of color on the right wing tip. I may have to "borrow" that theme on one of my next projects. I am always super impressed with your wood pods. They look like composites in all your pictures.

Wayne
May 26, 2015, 06:35 PM
WOW, Thanks Darth and Wayne. Those are great complements coming from both of you.

Darth, I'm glad your safe and ok. We're in a very serious draught here in California and I expect the same thing is going to happen here pretty soon. They're talking El Niņo which usually means lots of rain in California. For now I'll take the good flying weather. I need to get that thing trimmed and balanced and maiden it.

Wayne, You can borrow, copy steal any theme you like. I'm glad you like it.

Eddie
Last edited by hog2soar; May 26, 2015 at 06:40 PM.