May 22, 2015, 01:46 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

JJRC H8D (real) 5.8G FPV plateform (Under construction)

INTRODUCTION

After the wide success of the H8C, a great brushed miniquadcopter copying Phantom/CX-20 design and after the relative fiasco of the JJRC H9D (a fake 5.8G FPV in practice), JJRC here is introducing here the "real" FPV version of the H8C: same quadcopter chassis + a real 5.8G FPV system-HD camera combo. This model comes after the WLtoys V686G FPV model and probably uses the same video combo.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x JJRC H8D (with a 2S 500mAh LiPo)
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x 4"3 LCD monitor including a 5.8G VRX
+ 1 x USB microSC reader
+ 1 x 2Gb microSD
+ 4 x Prop guard
+ 1 x 5.8G dipole antenna
+ 1 x charger for the quadricopter LiPo
+ 1 x USB charger cable for the Monitor Lipo
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/Chinese)

OVERVIEW

As said previously, the H8D uses the same quadcopter chassis than the H8C. you can find the full review here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2276138. It means, that you can only order the FPV combo to adapt to your H8C if you already own a 5.8G ground station.

- top view

- bottom view

With the combo attached beneath

The lens orientation can be ajusted, it's a good point

In comparaison with the WLtoys V686G and the JJRC H8C

Strictly idendical in external point of view with the H8C.

148g without prop guards.... so close to 4g more heavier than the H8C.

- Battery

The lipo is the same than the H8C, a 2S model using a non-JST connector

The H8D still uses a 2S system and unfortunatly motors are strictly indentical to the H8C. They are known to have short duration life due to the extra stress on them with the 2S voltage. I strongly advice:
- to check before each flying session if all all props are spinning freely by hand
- to install some ball-bearings (MR74 format) to replace default bronze bushings
- to add time to time a drop of sillicone oïl into bearings only

Only the transmitter chassis changed versus the H8C

Now it uses the same introduced with the H12C : a large model easy to grab for large hands and a wheel to fine-tune the speed rate. It's a good RTF model

- LCD monitor
The LCD is a small 4".3 monitor identical to the V686G model

On top right, you can screw via the SMA connector any 5.8G antenna

It's shipped with a linear model

The screen is extremely brillant

more the brightness setting can't be tuned.... so even with the sun shade, it's very hard to see the "live" transmission outdoors. Definitively a bad point Another concern is about LCD mounting into the radio. The LCD is clipsed into a TX's hole but can rotate freely over an x-axis. By consequence if your are holding the radio vertically, the LCD can fall on sticks control during flight... Not ideal and potentially dangerous

Camera

Referenced V1.6 versus V1.5 for the V686G.

The video is transmitted in NTSC format @5645Mhz (Freq 4 of Boscam band), so exactly the same frequency as for the V686G. This frequency can't be ajusted (except by modding both VTX & VRX parts). As for the V686G, video files are automatically splitted every 3mins.

Bad news, the lens mount is smaller than for the V686G. It means you can't scews the "BG" M7 lens as for the V686G

Direct comparaison with the 808#16 lens D

Unfortunatly, when you install the 808#16 lens D, the color are absolutly not respected and the video is reversed. If you still want to install this lens, you will need to mod the camera casing to flip the camera FC

JJRC H8D 808#16 lens D installation attempt (Courtesy Banggood) (9 min 1 sec)

The attached linear antenna.

FIRST USAGE

JJRC H8D outdoors test (Courtesy Banggood) (13 min 6 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

Well the H8D is a as good flyer as the H8C agile, sporty in 100% rate and relatively wind resistant (vs the V686G at least). The FPV transmission is excellent (~100m easily) and HD camera part offers very good quality and jellofree videos (as good as the V686G). The control range is also good (around 100m out of the box) but not as good as for the V686G IMHO. You can probably improve it by positioning antenna vertically Inside the H8D canopy. Any two main concerns have to be raised : 1) the 2S system strongly requiers some ball-bearings installation to improve motor's durability (even if it's not 100% sure) and 2) actually any wide lens 100% working is available. The real question is : V686G or this one ? Except if you own already a H8C, want a more sporty quad, I advice to go more on the WLtoys V686G model because of the last two points.

UNBOXING

JJRC H8D Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Banggood) (31 min 31 sec)

PROS

+ Very good flyer, stable for beginner and sporty in 100% mode
+ Nice design
+ Robust and durable
+ Jellofree plateform out of the box
+ Good control range (~ 100m)
+ Good TX radio
+ Orientable lens
+ Efficient video transmission (> 100m, NTSC format @5645Mhz)
+ DeviationTX compatible

CONS

- No ball-bearings
- Same 2S motors with shorter life (need absolutly ball-bearings installation to decrease extra friction)
- Narrow FOV with the default lens
- Pseudo "homing/RTH" with more and more random effect when engaged late in flight
- No 100% compatible with 808#16 lens D
- Shorter range than WLtoys V686G
- Brillant screen (very hard to use outdoors even with the presence of the sun shade)
- Wide M7 lens can't be installed and 808#16 lens not 100% compatible. Need camera casing modifications in any case

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 121 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H8D-FPV-Headless-ModeRC-Quadcopter-With-2MP-Camera-RTF-p-974875.html

Spare parts: http://www.banggood.com/buy/JJRC-H8D.html

MR74 ballbearings

http://www.banggood.com/MR74-Open-Type-Bearings-Miniature-Ball-Bearings-4x7x2mm-10Piecs-p-972944.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jul 19, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2015, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos, videos and mods
May 23, 2015, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
FPV session recorded with my GS922 set on 5645Mhz/NTSC

JJRC H8D "FPV" session (Courtesy Banggood) (5 min 29 sec)

I am really suprized by the quality of the FPV part. I measured input voltage on connector : 5V and 3.40V respectively... so more than the 4V for the WLtoys V686G
May 31, 2015, 07:19 PM
Hi Seby,

Dose H8D use same motor as H8C? short lifetime motor ?

How about the lifetime of H12C (1S) ?

Thanks!
Jun 01, 2015, 12:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrct
Hi Seby,

Dose H8D use same motor as H8C? short lifetime motor ?

How about the lifetime of H12C (1S) ?

Thanks!
Hi

1) Yes I wrote, the same motor than the H8C ..... I would say, by checking meshings carefully, installing some ball-bearings, and oïling them, flying the H8D gently, I think the durability largely increased

2)Better, I would say MTBF ~ 30-40 flights
Jun 16, 2015, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Hi

1) Yes I wrote, the same motor than the H8C ..... I would say, by checking meshings carefully, installing some ball-bearings, and oïling them, flying the H8D gently, I think the durability largely increased

2)Better, I would say MTBF ~ 30-40 flights
Another question about FPV module,can I just buy H8D FPV tx module and install on my H8C directly?

Thanks.
Jun 16, 2015, 04:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrct
Another question about FPV module,can I just buy H8D FPV tx module and install on my H8C directly?

Thanks.
Yes ...
Jun 16, 2015, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Yes ...
Very good news!

Thanks
Jun 19, 2015, 05:29 PM

H8C with headless mode and the V686G FPV system.

Here is my thoughts on the H8D. It is essentially the H8C with inclusion of the WLToys V686G FPV system, and headless mode. It is a Good flier like the H8C, but it also uses the same 7.4v batteries (so there may be motor issues). The headless mode works well and remembers the direction the quadcopter was pointed (base heading) when it was bound to the transmitter. As such, you can use it as a return to home by pointing the antenna of the transmitter down the base heading, and moving the pitch/roll stick away from the direction of the quadcopter in the sky.

Headless mode is activated by the one key return button. Hitting this button activates headless mode and starts the quadcopter flying backwards down the base heading. Moving the pitch roll stick in any direction cancels this movement, but the quadcopter remains in headless mode until you hit one key return to cancel headless mode.

The FPV system also works well, with good range out to about 100m. But as with nearly every one of these non-goggle FPV fliers, its screen is very difficult to see in daylight. You'll need to fabricate some type of sunshade to block out sunlight to make it usable (I made one out of cardboard).

Its camera is relatively good image quality. But I had problems with jello installing the camera as designed (see the below video). Seby's packing foam solution is needed to stop this jello.

Here's my sample flight with the JJRC H8D. Sorry about when I say WiFi. That word was stuck in my head for some reason. Ignore when I say it. It really is 5.8 Ghz and NOT WiFi.

JJRC H8D 5.8Ghz FPV Drone Review (9 min 3 sec)
Jun 19, 2015, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00nz843z
Here is my thoughts on the H8D. It is essentially the H8C with inclusion of the WLToys V686G FPV system, and headless mode. It is a Good flier like the H8C, but it also uses the same 7.4v batteries (so there may be motor issues). The headless mode works well and remembers the direction the quadcopter was pointed (base heading) when it was bound to the transmitter. As such, you can use it as a return to home by pointing the antenna of the transmitter down the base heading, and moving the pitch/roll stick away from the direction of the quadcopter in the sky.

Headless mode is activated by the one key return button. Hitting this button activates headless mode and starts the quadcopter flying backwards down the base heading. Moving the pitch roll stick in any direction cancels this movement, but the quadcopter remains in headless mode until you hit one key return to cancel headless mode.

The FPV system also works well, with good range out to about 100m. But as with nearly every one of these non-goggle FPV fliers, its screen is very difficult to see in daylight. You'll need to fabricate some type of sunshade to block out sunlight to make it usable (I made one out of cardboard).

Its camera is relatively good image quality. But I had problems with jello installing the camera as designed (see the below video). Seby's packing foam solution is needed to stop this jello.

Here's my sample flight with the JJRC H8D. Sorry about when I say WiFi. That word was stuck in my head for some reason. Ignore when I say it. It really is 5.8 Ghz and NOT WiFi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4bD3zqJwRI

Nice job as usual. I noticed also installing BB helps to reduce a bit jello out of the box. Personally I liked this H8D but I guess potiential owners are afraid about potential motors's durabality problem.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:03 PM

JJRC H8D One Key Return Demonstration

The One Key Return feature of this quadcopter is demonstrated along with headless mode flying.

JJRC H8D Drone One Key Return Test Flight (9 min 7 sec)
Jun 29, 2015, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by t00nz843z
The One Key Return feature of this quadcopter is demonstrated along with headless mode flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqIJ3iAtoSM

Interesting, seems to work more or lesss. Seems the keep the home heading but not it's not corrected from the location you are activate it. So return's path are all parallel between each other depending of the starting point? I am right ?
Jun 30, 2015, 09:21 AM
Quote:

Interesting, seems to work more or lesss. Seems the keep the home heading but not it's not corrected from the location you are activate it. So return's path are all parallel between each other depending of the starting point? I am right ?
Yes. Pressing the one key return button activates headless mode and provides back input to the pitch stick. So it flies backward down the headless base heading which was set at binding. If it is activated while the quadcopter is left of the base heading, it will fly backward and parallel to the left of your position. Same is true if it is activated while to the right of the base heading. Of course, if there is wind it will add another vector to this movement.

Moving the pitch roll stick stops this backward movement. But the quadcopter remains in headless mode until the one key return button is pressed once more to turn it off.
Jul 09, 2015, 10:54 AM
Can this same 5.8 camera work with the H8C?
Jul 09, 2015, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliteright
Can this same 5.8 camera work with the H8C?
Yes

Quick Reply