Sep 28, 2017, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Square Rigger fans will enjoy these pics of the Glenlee sent to me by Nev Wade after his visit to her in Glasgow. Nev told me that "Glenlee being a bald-headed barque, like hundreds of others of her time, was the real deal, and she has been restored to her original state, having been the Spanish sail training ship, "Galatea" for seventy years".
The first pic shows her in her unrestored state.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2017, 06:38 PM
The last photo shows the modeler's black marker bleeding through the deck planks.... Whoops! I forgot. I'm looking at the 1:1 version.
Dec 03, 2017, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
Onboard some of Nev Wades square riggers !

RC Square-rigger Models, as seen from on board (13 min 18 sec)
Jan 26, 2018, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
For those Nev Wade square rigger fans out there, the January issue of Model Boats has an excellent article he has written on the Mount Stewart project.
May 10, 2018, 10:00 PM
Irving Johnson's film of the Peking rounding Cape Horn is here. It's incredible footage, and his narration is priceless!
The Peking Battles Cape Horn By Captain Irving Johnson (52 min 31 sec)
May 10, 2018, 10:55 PM

Hull line drawings of square riggers

I am new to the forums and have been knocked over by what I've seen here so far. Brilliant, inspirational! If I were thinking of scratch-building a sailing model, say the Peking for instance (or another classic sailing ship), where would I find the line drawings for the hull shape, and a rough sail-plan? Hoping someone might point me in the right direction. My mind is a whir of possibilities. Thanks in advance.
Charlie
May 11, 2018, 09:35 AM
SCALE Sailor
There's various places, A J Fisher, the Model Dockyard. If Howard Chapelle drew it, the Smithsonian has it. Maryland Silver Company.
Some model companies like Model Shipways sell plans separate of their kits, like Pride of Baltimore II and the US brig Syren.
The US National Archives and Britain's Nation Maritime Museum both have original drawings you can get copies of.
Mystic Seaport is another museum/research resource that has plans.

If you're interested in an existing museum ship or recreation, sometimes their museum or gift shop have plans for sale.

It never hurts to check ebay for "sailing ship plans" now and then; that's where I finally found a set of plans for Gazela Primeiro after a long search.
May 11, 2018, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the reply and all the great ideas! I'll follow them up and see what I find.
May 12, 2018, 08:43 AM
omg....what a video!!!.......gotta run to the bathroom.............
May 12, 2018, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
Charlie if you get hooked on the Peking and want to build a scale model I can dig out a set of the German drawings for you.
May 12, 2018, 07:29 PM
Thanks Bill, I've been in love with the Peking since I first watched Captain Irving Johnson's Cape Horn film,

I haven't yet decided what ship to build. Thanks again for the offer!
Last edited by bonaccordians; May 12, 2018 at 09:52 PM.
May 12, 2018, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
I visited the Peking before she left for Hamburg. The size of the ship is overwhelming. She was a fixture on the NYC waterfront for so many years it was a shame to see her leave. Here are a few of the many pictures I took that day.
May 12, 2018, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
Here are some pictures of a model of the Pamir a very similar ship. Model built by Andreas Gondesen. I also have plans for her.
May 12, 2018, 09:51 PM
Great photos! Must have been incredible to walk her decks. She really is huge, and as for the model of the Pamir, just breathtaking. The detail! Wow. Thanks for that.
May 13, 2018, 09:18 AM
that pamir...ouch.....i can only dream of building something so sophisticated....maybe next lifetime...........so real.......
Last edited by yancovitch; May 13, 2018 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply