May 21, 2015, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sailing RC Square-riggers

Fantastic RC sail training video produced and narrated by Nev Wade showing how to sail and maneuver a square-rigger model. This video features many of his models in action and is well worth watching !

RC Square-riggers, How to sail (10 min 54 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2015, 02:56 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Nice!
May 22, 2015, 06:26 AM
Brilliant!
May 27, 2015, 11:21 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Beautiful tacking at the 5:00 + section. Thanks for posting, Bill.
Jul 03, 2015, 08:49 AM
Diver-driver
Nev Wade even sounds what a proper squarerigger skipper should sound like love his models!
Jul 03, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Ditto !
Jul 05, 2015, 01:18 PM
Aug 20, 2015, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
Here's a shot of the Peking. A Hugh 4 masted barque birthed at South Street Seaport in NYC. 331 feet on deck, the ship is massive. Well worth seeing.
Aug 20, 2015, 08:20 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Irving Johnson's video of Peking rounding Cape Horn is, unfortunately, no longer available - Mystic Seaport Museum claims copyright.

But here is a short one of Peking in 1932 being towed to replace an old schoolship in Gt. Britain:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/their-new-ship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peking_%28ship%29

Great photo of Peking, Bill. Lots of rigging detail, thanks for posting.
-----------------------------
I got to go aboard Kruzenshtern (the old Padua) when she was docked in Bermuda in 2000. Many tall ships had arrived for a regatta and race; I'd arrived on Harvey Gamage, a Maine schooner. The expanse of the 4-master's decks, all that holystoned wood, was neat to see. She offered rides from Bermuda to the US. One of my shipmates took the trip, it was not that expensive, as I recall - afterwards, he reported that the food was sparse and practically inedible. I remember the Russian cadets taking black plastic garbage bags ashore with them - they would fill them with free food to take back to the ship (the Bermudians were generous to all the tallship sailors). Russian economy was in tatters, and food&money was short.
Last edited by Brooks; Aug 20, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
Nov 13, 2015, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
A few more shots I took of the Peking.
Nov 14, 2015, 06:37 AM
Looks like the Peking needs some TLC and shitloads of money...

According to wikipedia the Peking has been sold to Germany 2 days ago:

"The Peking was retired in 1975 and sold to Jack Aron, for the South Street Seaport Museum in New York City, where she is still moored as of 2014. However, at this time the Seaport does not see the Peking as part of their long-term operational plans. A 2012 offer to return the ship to its port of building, Hamburg, as a gift from the city of New York was contingent upon raising an endowment in Germany to ensure the preservation of the vessel, and was not successful on that basis.[1] On November 12 2015 the German Bundestag has decided to purchase the ship. It is going to be a part of the announced German Port Museum in Hamburg, for which €120 million were allocated."
Nov 16, 2015, 05:23 PM
I love watching your vid!
Dec 20, 2015, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
Another impressive square rigger video !

RC model clipper Stad Amsterdam tweede proefvaart YT (3 min 34 sec)
Dec 26, 2015, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
really nice top sail schooner Albatros

Albatros Schooner Baltimore 1840 - 1:12 by P.Urbančík (CZ) (5 min 28 sec)
Jan 18, 2016, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Nev's produced another outstanding video of the RC four masted barquentine Mozart. She sails like a dream. Some great onboard video shots also. Great sailing location with North Sea in background.

RC Square-riggers, 4 masted barquentine "Mozart" (10 min 13 sec)

Quick Reply