May 20, 2015, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
New Product

Bigaole BGL-6G-AP Auto Pilot System With GPS and Return To Home

G'day guys,

I have been flying with the Turnigy T1000FC GPS RTH as my FPV security blanket on my Bixler 2 and now BIX3 for about almost 12 months. It has served me well, but.... if you have read the thread here, you will know that you can't turn off the stabiliser when the GPS is plugged in! At least not in its stock configuration.

So I think I have found a much better product - It is the BGL-6G-AP (6 Axis stabiliser w GPS RTH) units from Bigaole Electronic company.

Name: 20150427_201444.jpg
Views: 481
Size: 683.7 KB
Description: Name: 20150427_201539.jpg
Views: 871
Size: 911.9 KB
Description:

It is a lot smaller than the Turnigy, a little bit cheaper than the Turnigy and most importantly for me, it can be switched OFF. It has the same gain adjustment set-up too - aileron and elevator.

I have really liked this device so much on my BIX that I have imported a bunch more into Australia and if you'd like one (or a few) then I'll be pleased to post out on a PayPal invoice.
The units are located in Geelong, VIC Australia so PM me for a delivery quote.

Price via a PayPal invoice is $87.00 +Del
or if you are in Geelong I can discount for cash on pickup $85.00

Name: 20150427_201258.jpg
Views: 416
Size: 715.3 KB
Description:

Features:
* 3 axis gyro and 3 axis accelerometer.
* GPS Return to Home (RTH).
* 3 Modes (Off, Stabilise and RTH).
* Can be set up to return your plane on the fail-safe of your receiver.
(Receiver must be enabled for fail-safe).
* Can configure for use on Standard Plane, Flying Wing or V-Tail airframes.

Manufacturers Specs:
Weight: 28g (Total inc. GPS)
Size: 23*38mm
Working current: 30mA
Working temperature: - 15℃- 65℃
Working voltage: DC4.8V--6V
Servo compatibility: 1.52ms analog servo, 1.52ms digital servo
Radio compatibility: PPM . PCM .2.4G

Check out the set-up details for the RTH - Stabiliser -

BGL-6G-AP Flight Stabiliser with RTH - Setup (18 min 21 sec)

I have supplied 10 already to other members here and their feedback has been awesome. Please post questions or comments below. Cheers Michael
Last edited by Banged Up Bixler; Feb 23, 2017 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Price increase due to exchange rates
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2015, 10:39 AM
This look ok , but I like all 3 flight modes you get with the T1000 and afer installing buddy box mode I can get manual mode ..
I do fly a Bix3 but I use it for FPV so I really like ( Altitude and Attitude mode a lot..) that way I can just use my camera to look at the country !LOL
Thanks for the information.
DanT
May 20, 2015, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
This look ok , but I like all 3 flight modes you get with the T1000 and afer installing buddy box mode I can get manual mode ..
I do fly a Bix3 but I use it for FPV so I really like ( Altitude and Attitude mode a lot..) that way I can just use my camera to look at the country !LOL
Thanks for the information.
DanT
Hi Dan thanks for your input. I guess for me, the T1000FC also worked well, I used it for nearly a year. But, I only ever used stabilise and RTH modes, the attitude/altitude hold never seemed to provide any benefit for my flying. And most importantly, I did not want to have to add extra switching or circuitry (which may have created a point of failure) on top of the stock T1000FC. I did follow the thread here on RCGroups that discussed the 'T1000FC Manual Mode with GPS' by lasersbee and I even looked into getting the MMB, but there was no way to import that to Australia.

This BGL-6G-AP might not be for everyone, that is for sure, but if people are looking to have a smaller, cheaper unit, that has an OFF mode as standard then I think this is an awesome product. Cheers Michael
May 21, 2015, 08:58 AM
Thread OP

How-to guide for gliders (BGL-6G-AP in use)

Please check out this excellent thread from JJ604. He is using the BGL-6G-AP in conjunction with Lemon 7-channel integrated DSMX receiver/stabilizer to get some excellent results on his motor glider.

Adding Auto Leveling and Return-to-Home to a Lemon 7 channel stabilizer.

If you have other applications that you'd like to share, please post a link here.

Cheers
Michael
May 23, 2015, 01:29 AM
Thread OP

Failsafe Note on Spektrum Receivers

Guys,

I've been chatting with one of the guys that purchased a BGL-6G-AP and he is running it on a Spektrum receiver. He wanted to make sure that the fail safe kicked the RTH on if it went out of range, but was not able to.

As we worked through it, turns out there are a couple of different types of fail safe depending on your model of Spektrum Receiver.

Not my vid, but a good explanation of the fail safe options in the Spektrum range. -

Quicktip Failsafe types explained preset vs hold on Spektrum and OrangeRX DSM2 and DSMX (6 min 49 sec)

Of course this process is different for different brands of receiver. For example, the FrSky have a button (on most of the receivers) that will set the fail safe to the set of inputs it is recieving when you press it. So, if you want RTH to cut in on lost signal, simply turn the transmitter switch to RTH mode, set you desired amount of throttle and press the button on the receiver to safe as the fail safe.

Cheers
Michael
Last edited by Banged Up Bixler; May 26, 2015 at 05:48 AM.
May 23, 2015, 05:20 PM
Tip I run a AR8000 receiver with satellite receiver with the newer model DX7s .. and you can program Fail safe on this receiver ...
Tip to get receiver ( AR8000) to program you have to go into flight transmitter and turn off Warnings or it won't take your throttle and switch setting ..
When done with programming go back and turn on Warnings.
DanT
May 26, 2015, 05:54 AM
Thread OP

Testing with the BGL-6G-AP GPS RTH on BIX3

G'day guys,

I wanted to share some of my testing with the Bigaole BGL-6G-AP GPS RTH on my BIX3.

BIX3 - Bigaole BGL-6G-AP Auto Pilot Testing (6 min 19 sec)

Equipment Used -
* Plane - BIX3 ARF
* Motor - Turnigy D2826/6 2200kv
* ESC - 40amp Turnigy Plush
* Receiver - FrSky V8FR-II 2.4Ghz 8CH
* Flight Controller - Bigaole BGL-6G-AP (with GPS RTH)

FPV -
* Goggles/Receiver - FatShark PredatorV2 with stock Dipole Antenna (I broke the CP)
* Transmitter - 250mW 7ch 5.8gHz (Fat Shark/IRC channels) with Circular Polarized Antenna
* Camera - NTSC CMOS camera with 2.5mm (100 degree FOV) lens

Camera -
* GoPro Hero 3 Silver (1080p 30fps)

Cheers
Michael
May 26, 2015, 10:27 AM
Tip try a CCD Sony camera you will never go back to a CMOS camera..
OH,, nice place to fly,,, LOL
DanT
May 26, 2015, 10:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Tip try a CCD Sony camera you will never go back to a CMOS camera..
OH,, nice place to fly,,, LOL
DanT
Cheers Dan, I have been thinking about an upgrade to the camera, but there is too many to choose from and so far this FatShark camera has been really very good at handling low light and transitions in and out of shade too.
Do you have a recommendation?
May 27, 2015, 11:35 AM
Quote:
FatShark camera has been really very good at handling low light and transitions in and out of shade too.

Wow,, you have the first one I've every heard of!!
In fact most of us who have had the same camera..( I do for one! ) Leave them in the box and never use them again!! LOL
Here is a good camera that is even less expensive..
I have one..
http://www.surveilzone.com/DC5V-plas...m-lens-for-fpv
There are better cameras out there but IMO this is much better camera!
Here is some of the reason why IMO, you have OSD adjustments for many things , like color , how it handles light and dark backgrounds , you can fly into the sun and still see the ground!
And I power mine right off of 3 cell flight battery..
This camera can take 5 to 22 volts!
Really IMO you will thank me!
DanT
May 31, 2015, 05:51 AM
Thread OP
Cheers Dan, thanks for the recommendation. I will be putting 'New Camera' on to my never ending list of new toys I need to get One of the best things about this hobby, always something new!
May 31, 2015, 05:54 AM
Thread OP
And neat set-up on your BIX tray there too. I'll be reconfiguring mine soon to house a Remzibi OSD
Jun 04, 2015, 07:49 AM
Thread OP

Bigaole BGL-6G-AP Set-up Instructions

I have been getting a few questions about the set-up for the BGL-6G-AP so I though that I would try to clarify a few things.

Number 1. The unit has a single red LED that will blink at the same steady rate in all modes, it does not indicate the mode.

I'll try and give you my own version of the whole procedure (extracted from section 6 of the instructions)

When you are setting it up, it is important to follow the correct procedure step by step;

Initial Set Up
1. Attach the auto pilot unit to your receiver
Check with the instruction vid from the 4 minute mark to see the correct channels.
2. Calibrate the default position for the gyro. Calibration with the GPS connected.
a. Put both of the dip switches in the ON position.
b. Switch on your transmitter.
c. Add power to the receiver.
d. The red LED on the unit will flash for 10 Sec and then go solid and then finally to a slow flash. At the same time the blue LED on the GPS will start solid and once it has completed communicating to the Auto Pilot it will flash and is ready for use.
(Note that the unit must be set flat and level during this procedure.)
e. Remove the power from the receiver.
f. Return the two switches to the flying position.
(If your plane is a regular fixed wing ailerons, elevator and rudder, switches will both be in the OFF position.)
3. Set a HOME position
a. With the battery on and the GPS unit plugged in.
b. Wait until the blue light on the GPS is flashing (this means it is connected to the Auto pilot and satellites).
c. Press and hold the SET button until the red LED on the Auto Pilot is solid then release it.
d. When it starts to flash again, it has stored the GPS coordinates for the HOME. You are ready to fly.
Set your Transmitter switch (Depends on your transmitter.)
a. On your transmitter select a 3 position switch as CH5 (or the channel you've plugged the Switch into).
b. Set the switch to the top position or OFF. Set the corresponding value of the switch to 0
c. Set the switch to the middle position or STABILISE. Set the corresponding value of the switch to -100
d. Set the switch to the bottom position or RTH. Set the corresponding value of the switch to +100
Gains and direction Set-up
1. Aileron
a. Switch on your Transmitter and power up your model
b. The red light on the Auto Pilot and the Blue light must both be blinking (this means they have a connection to each other and the GPS has connection to satellites).
c. Put the 3 position switch into stabilise mode - middle position.
d. Pick up your model and drop the left wing, the left aileron should also drop. If it lifts, then turn the white aileron dial on the auto pilot past the centre point to the opposite position. Test the aileron response again.
e. Test the Aileron response from your transmitter stick. Push the transmitter stick to the left, the aileron should move up. If the Aileron moves down, reverse the channel in your transmitter (and if you switched the direction of the auto pilot in the previous step, then return the white aileron dial on the auto pilot back to the original position).
2. Elevator
a. Switch on your Transmitter and power up your model
b. The red light on the Auto Pilot and the Blue light must both be blinking (this means they have a connection to each other and the GPS has connection to satellites).
c. Put the 3 position switch into stabilise mode - middle position.
d. Pick up your model and drop the nose, the elevator should also lift. If it drops, then turn the white elevator dial on the auto pilot past the centre point to the opposite position. Test the elevator response again.
e. Test the Elevator response from your transmitter stick. Push the transmitter stick to the down, the Elevator should move up. If the Elevator moves down, reverse the channel in your transmitter (and if you switched the direction of the auto pilot in the previous step, then return the white Elevator dial on the auto pilot back to the original position).
Note: The aileron and elevator dials also control the amount of compensation (throw on the control surface) that is provided by the auto pilot. I recommend starting with this closer to the centre point for minimum compensation (small movement of the control surfaces).

I hope that these instructions have assisted you with your installation and set-up.

When you test the plane at the field, the first thing you will need to do is set your HOME position by pressing and holding the SET button. Before taking off please make sure that you have the auto pilot switched OFF and then climb to a safe hight before testing it for the first time.

Any questions, please post them here.

Cheers
Michael
Jun 13, 2015, 09:06 AM
I should have my unit by next week to try on my Radian sailplane. I too, have been using the T1000FC on 2 of my planes and I installed one on my friend's Radian. All have been working flawlessly. The one I have on my HobbyKing SkyMule also has the "Buddy Box" that can bypass the T1000. That also works flawlessly. It's great for planes that can get quite far away (like sailplanes) or for planes that you fly FPV where you might lose sight of it. Knowing that it will come home and circle is very comforting and a confidence builder.
For video work, the heading/altitude hold is a wonderful thing, however, for other kinds of flying, it would be nice to be able to shut off the T1000 so the plane can be flown manually. This Bigaole sounds like the ticket. For me in Canada, the Bigaole is actually about $10.00US more. It appears that the Bigaole is almost the same in every way (set up, design and functionality) as the T1000FC. I'm hoping it is as I've gotten used to setting up the T1000. For many of my applications, RTH is the key feature. The stabilization is a bonus but these units are far too invasive in that they don't permit any stunt flying (loops, rolls, etc.). Being able to turn it off with a single switch position without having to add yet another module is quite attractive. I'll know in about week or so how it compares to the T1000FC.

PS, for simple stabilization and "recovery" (like when you lose orientation and the plane's headed for the dirt), I use the Hobby Eagle A3 (basic unit), which works very well. It allows for stunt flying with an "Oh Crap!" and "hover" mode. It also has mild and heavy stabilization and no stabilization if so programmed. I have that one on my1400mm FMS Pitts.
Jun 15, 2015, 02:28 AM
Tested out one of these units today on a HK Breeze and I can report that it works well for what it is. If you just want a Stab and RTH unit for a relaxing sunday afternoon fpv then this could be the FC your looking for. This was so much simpler to setup than my Tornado or ET OSD Pro, great for a grab and go plane or to get started in FPV flying.

Quick Reply