Feb 20, 2020, 01:32 AM
Quad motors and diff thrust. No rudder.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 01:39 AM
Lit up
Feb 20, 2020, 01:44 AM
Weather said 11mph winds. Too much for this wing. I went out and it felt more like 3-5. The next few days will be windy so i figured I'd take advantage of the calm-ish air. Had her up for a while, then a big gust tossed it into a tree lol.
Last edited by tininjun67; Feb 20, 2020 at 01:52 AM.
Feb 28, 2020, 12:23 AM
Night flight (2 min 0 sec)

Sorry for the poor quality.
Feb 29, 2020, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
T67, Nice job with the twin Beeker. I must admit, that I thought that the tail surfaces looked a bit too small, but it seems to fly just fine. Enjoy your night flyer!
Brad
Mar 02, 2020, 10:36 AM
Thanks Brad. They're the window openings lol. If I have the cg at 25% or less, it could use a little more elevator authority. With it pulled back a bit more, less throttle is required and it's a little easier to control pitch, but it's also less stable. It's been a lot of fun!
May 25, 2020, 10:48 AM
Thread OP

Beeker update!

A new Beeker build is nearing completion!

Since designing and building the original Beeker, back in 2015, I have always intended to build a balsa version of it as well. And since our "friendly" FAA is pushing new restrictions on the RC community, and while enjoying my UMX Turbo Timber so much, I thought now was a good time to try and build a Micro Beeker under the 250 gram, 8.8 ounce minimum. The goal was to use small, individual components, not a brick system, to try to get under the minimum. I had the electronics on hand, so it was time to get going!

I settled on a 22.5" wingspan for the Micro Beeker, which is, almost, exactly half of the full size planes' span. I needed it to be proportionally accurate to the original, so I used a photo of my original, and drew up a new side view that included a slightly different shaped tail and a forward leaning window post. I wanted the post to be vertical while the aircraft was sitting on the ground, and leaning slightly forward in flight, to give the illusion of speed. The fuselage and tail surfaces will be left in bare balsa, sealed with Krylon Color Max Clear. It seals wood nicely, without any warping and is super easy to sand, giving an extremely smooth finish. (my new "go to" for balsa sealing) The wing shape is basically the same as the original, and will be finished in either tissue and dope or Polyspan. (Tissue and Stix It are supposed to arrive this week.) The gear will be brass tube socket bases with two wires extending slightly forward to give it a torsion bar effect. The wheels had to be "Bush" tires, so a set of Turbo Timber wheels have been incorporated. Great quality and super lightweight.

A thread for the build will be over in the "Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models" forum, if anyone is interested.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...r#post44605661
Jul 11, 2020, 06:19 PM
I have been fixing electronics all my life and the most prevalent problem is connectors. One of the best things done is that now there are no more socket mounted ICs.
The Tx has lots of connectors inside, so you should pop off the back and wiggle and re-seat every connector, It won't hurt, and could help.

APOLOGIES for inserting this way out of chronological order. Someone was having Tx trouble that went away after charging, so I put my 2 cents worth in, but I was in the middle of the thread, gathering info for the build of my Beeker kit from Bird Of Play.
So this "fix" looks silly here with no reason for it.
Last edited by dbacon; Jul 11, 2020 at 07:12 PM.
Jul 11, 2020, 06:57 PM
Retired CAD guy
Brad,

Truthfully , I have NOT been following this thread so If I have the wrong perception I apologize.

I was wondering IF this NEW Beeker is really different, advanced and better ...

I would think that I need to get in there and REWORK my Cutting files.

True ? Not true ?

OR should I simply use the $tree board , assuming Paper Off, and see what happens to the
layout when scaled to 22"

Best

Bob
Jul 11, 2020, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Hey Bob,

When I first built the original Beeker, I had always had intentions of doing a balsa version, so after flying my UMX Turbo Timber, ( and thoroughly enjoying it) I had the perfect excuse to do a smaller Beeker, in balsa. It's been a real fun plane to fly and performs and behaves almost exactly like its' bigger brother. I think I have it dialed in pretty well now, after putting a little coarser prop on it, and have been enjoying it more and more each time out.

As far as if the "NEW" Beeker is any better, different or advanced. Probably not. But a few subtle changes were made to enhance its' aesthetics and strength. The change that I will make to any new, future Beeker that I build, is the forward leaning , side window post. My intent was to give it the illusion of speed in flight, like it was pushing forward against the air. But I believe it has more purpose in strengthening the the forward, upper fuselage. Now, it places the wing spar directly on top of the fuselage former. It allowed me to place a dowel and hole, hold down mount on the front former and, three small magnets at the trailing edge to hold the wing on. Another reason I slanted the window post forward was to have that post vertical, while the plane was sitting on the ground. I know, sounds crazy, but that's a whole other conversation!

As far as re-working your files, I would say go for it! I like the new look, especially the reshaped tail. The vertical stab and horizontal stab share the same outline. I used the same template for both, just mirrored the horizontal when drawing it up.

And finally. A big 10-4 on the $ tree foam! I was going to try that next, to see if I could shave an ounce or two off the all up weight. Will use an under-cambered wing also. Save you MPF for another day. Go cheap or go home!

Heres the build thread for the Micro Beeker:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...aiden-Video%21
Last edited by cbalgra; Jul 11, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Jul 11, 2020, 09:08 PM
Retired CAD guy
OK I will go look there .. maybe tomorrow .. it's 10 pm here just now.

From the initial scaling onto 2 sheets of $board
there is plenty of material for whatever stylish things you could ever want.
Note I even cut OFF the top 2.5" of $board so it fits in my boxes.

And I am not sure that it would need the Doubling at this size and light weight.
But there is currently lots of material to work with.

Now over to the new thread ...
Jul 11, 2020, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
Looks good Bob. It sure doesn't take up much real estate on the DTF.

Good point about the doublers. It should come in under 6 ounces my guess. Even lighter if using UMX boards.
Jul 18, 2020, 06:57 AM

Nose Over

Hello all...
When I taxi the Beeker on the runway, it will nose over without a lot of throttle and elevator management. I have seen others comment on this in this thread. So, am I correct in saying this is normal? Has anyone found a cure for it?
The grass is fairly short. CG is good. The wheel axles are about 3/4" to 1" in front of the leading edge.
Any suggestions to improve this, or should I just fly it and be happy?
Also, has anyone tried building this without landing gear, as a belly-flopper? Or does that require extensive re-designing?

Thank you for your time.

Ed
Jul 18, 2020, 07:25 AM
Retired CAD guy
I put the Wheels OUT FRONT MORE !
Jul 18, 2020, 08:59 AM
BMAT prior life.. USAF Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I put the Wheels OUT FRONT MORE !
I agree! Mine are ~ 1.5-2" in front of the leading edge.

Quick Reply