May 22, 2015, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Final shot before maiden.
Last edited by cbalgra; May 23, 2015 at 08:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2015, 12:57 PM
Retired CAD guy
According to NOAA you have a short opportunity between 8pm and midnight.

Sheez its blowing 20+ just now, eh ? ( again according to NOAA )

Don't feel bad it gusting 12 + mph here now.

Just had a premade lipo connector GO BAD on my Mig-29.
I could see shiney BRASS down inside the connector for cripes sake !
Not tinned properly . FER SURE NOT my doing !
Let's see, ummm ... who sells those ... errr -> HK sigh - got me again !

I use 2ea , 2cell paks for balance side to side.
THAT swell piece of wiring cost me my Mig 29 from the Nose back to he nacelles. aaargh !

Oh well !

Guess I'll just have to work on the Beeker a bit more.
May 22, 2015, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Sorry about the Mig Bob.

The GoPro and Camcorder are charging. The Beeker will commit "some type of aviation" in the morning. Hopefully a successful mission.

My test pilot seems calm. Mr. Ewan Mee is the work of an automotive illustrator I admire. - Stefan Marjoram ( http://stefanmarjoram.com/ )
May 23, 2015, 03:28 AM
My plans are in my blog
Cool looking airplane. I hope it flies well.
May 23, 2015, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Well, I am happy to report that the maiden was an overwhelming SUCCESS!

Wow! That's about the only way to describe it. To think I was able to sketch up an idea, assemble and maiden a aircraft, of my own design, in under a month is a record of some sort for me. The experience has been quite rewarding and now I look forward to refining this design and possibly adapting some changes and modifications.

"The Maiden" - Got to the park early , trying to beat the winds, and was greeted by a slight breeze. No problem, fairly light, no heavy gusts. Taking off into the wind, was a non-event. The plane just levitated into the air. I had two clicks up trim in at the time, but they were removed immediately once stabilized. For the next 20 minutes or so, I flew around the field at very low levels, feeling confident in the Beekers' rock steady flying ability. Even with a few mild gusts, it was never an issue and my grin only began to increase. I even offered my wife ( who has no experience flying R/C) the chance to fly it. Unfortunately she decline. I would not hesitate to suggest this airplane to any beginner. It is such a pleasure to fly!

Took it up to about 300' altitude a couple times to test its' glide and was blown away how well it penetrated the breeze while maintaining a nice glide angle. Deadstick landings are too easy with just a mild flare at touchdown.

Thank you Bob for your encouragement and help throughout this build. Hopefully, many people will build a Beeker and enjoy many hours of flying as I look forward to doing!

I'm struggling with Windows Movie Maker at the moment, but hope to have video up soon.
May 23, 2015, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for the poor quality flight shots.
Uploading vid to YouTube now.
May 23, 2015, 04:27 PM
Retired CAD guy
wooo whoo ! ! !

Congrats , glad all went well.

Bob

PS

this is what I was doing this am

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=71
May 23, 2015, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
That looks like way too much fun! What a nice day out there. We have been having Midwest weather all week out here.
May 23, 2015, 04:58 PM
Retired CAD guy
Thanks it was a very unusually nice AM
May 23, 2015, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Here's the evidence. It really does fly!

Going to adjust CG forward a tad bit, but otherwise flies hands off.

This is going to be a great, scaled -down indoor model, if you chose to build one. I can also see it enlarged and being nice for FPV or a camera platform. How about adding a step to it and flying off that pond Bob? The choices are many.

BTW: this flight was over 20 minutes and still had about 30% in the 2200mah bat.

Beeker Maiden 5-23-15 (7 min 17 sec)
May 23, 2015, 05:29 PM
Retired CAD guy
Go pro has a head band attachment.

I use a HAT CAM which is a Mobius with one of the CLIP attachments
Ty wrapped to the bill of my hat.

"Most" of the itme if works great unless I pull it down over my eye too much.

No dogs allowed ;>}

You have to be feeling happy today :-)

Sure toss on some sponsons and tip floats and it'd be good on the water fer sure !
May 23, 2015, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
I have a headband GoPro mount and hate it. I don't know why I didn't think of it, but my mountain bike helmet has a mount on it too. It's way more comfortable than the headband. I guess that means I'll have to go flying again in the morning!
May 23, 2015, 09:45 PM
Retired CAD guy
If you have a Go Pro then you HAVE to go for it !

But I do like the cost benefit ratio on the Mobius !
May 24, 2015, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Got another 20 minutes under the wings this morning, in the gloomy weather, but still had a blast. Added 3/4 oz. to the nose which helped it turn much better. Flys at a level attitude now. Not dragging its' tail around anymore. Originally stated the AUW was 25oz. , but reweighed it this morning and it's actually 23oz. with the extra weight added. Looking forward to a sunny day when I'm sure this plane will be able to thermal.
May 24, 2015, 02:25 PM
skumgummi dave
cbalgra:

It's a great day when you can add weight to the nose and your plane gets lighter. LOL Such a great looking aircraft. Kudos! Now can we see the Bipe version?

Dave-

Quick Reply