Aug 30, 2016, 02:18 PM
Which one is aileron again?
I wonder what the weight difference between the old Champ and the new one. Surely all that SAFE stuff weighs something.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2016, 03:10 PM
That looks like an awesome deal for someone like my sweetheart who has never flown anything. Looks like a very "safe" trainer.
Aug 30, 2016, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
I wonder what the weight difference between the old Champ and the new one. Surely all that SAFE stuff weighs something.
Old Champ is about 42 grams and S+ is 105 grams but it's a much bigger plane with a 27" wing span so it should be able to carry the weight no problem. It even can carry the FPV option too and has a FPV power connector on the top of the wing. But I still need to fly it. Been reading the manual. This thing has a compass calibration and a radio setup for the modes that I need to do first.
Aug 30, 2016, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoff View Post
That looks like an awesome deal for someone like my sweetheart who has never flown anything. Looks like a very "safe" trainer.
It would be good for a beginner with help from a technical assistant to get through the setup and calibration. The tech part of it will require some understanding. I can see that the hobby shop may be have some busy times explaining to folks how all this stuff works and how it doesn't without a GPS fix. It comes default in GPS mode and none of the control surfaces operate inside the house because it can't get a fix :-O
Sep 04, 2016, 09:32 AM
Thread OP

HobbyZone Champ S+ Maiden flight in the Hermine winds :-)

Hobbyzone Champ S+ Maiden Flight in the Wind, GPS Function Off, AS3X On - Part2 (5 min 48 sec)
Sep 09, 2016, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Princeton Float and Fly tomorrow at Glenwood Park.
Last edited by david.merc; Sep 09, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
Sep 12, 2016, 09:46 PM
Thread OP

Princeton POTS float and fly Maiden Flight Polaris

ModelAero FPV Polaris XL Seaplane Maiden Flight at the lake (4 min 22 sec)
Last edited by david.merc; Sep 12, 2016 at 09:56 PM.
Oct 14, 2016, 02:55 PM
Hey guys, What's the situation with winter "fly-ins" at Kipps? Are those still going to happen this year? I just found out that someone I work with is very interested and I'm directing him here to this forum for more info.
Oct 14, 2016, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo131 View Post
Hey guys, What's the situation with winter "fly-ins" at Kipps? Are those still going to happen this year? I just found out that someone I work with is very interested and I'm directing him here to this forum for more info.
We are working on setting it.
Should know for sure soon.
Oct 15, 2016, 10:17 AM
Going to Dual Rates
The dates and times are established and payment made to City of Blacksburg for Kipp Elem gym use this 2016/2017 indoor fly season. The following are established dates.

All are Friday dates from 6 to 8 pm:

2016......... 11/18, 12/02, 12/16, 12/30

2017......... 01/13, 01/27, 02/10, 02/24, 03/10, 03/24

Fee is $10 per person, $5 ea additional FAMILY member for each event.

Not yet decided if last years separated flying times for fixed wing and multi rotor is still
In effect. I suppose it will be decided by majority vote at first event.......or not.

See you all there,

JES, MCMAC sec/treas.
Last edited by ScatCat; Jan 17, 2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: incorrect amount
Nov 17, 2016, 02:51 PM
Can someone give me a short description of what the "winter "fly-ins" at Kipps" is? Thanks.....
Nov 17, 2016, 04:07 PM
A "fly in" is an event where RC enthusiasts get together and fly small RC aircraft in an enclosed space such as a gym.

Kipps is a local elementary school with a gym.

"winter" fly-ins happen because it's too cold to fly our full size equipment outdoors, so we keep our skills honed and still have fun with smaller versions indoors.

"small" RC aircraft range from:
- fixed wing (airplane) style with wingspans up to 1-2ft (generally slow airspeeds)
- single rotor (helicopter) style, blade sizes up to ~200mm (would the "Blade 250" be allowed? I don't know, but if it is, I would certainly think that would be the biggest allowed to be flown in that gym. A test hover would probably be ok.)
- multi-rotor (quadcopter/drones) style, nominal diagonal sizes up to around a 250. (maybe a bit bigger).
- Even if my sizes are a bit off, you get the idea of the sizes we are talking about.

It appears this is your first post on RCgroups, and so I assume that you are fairly new to the hobby, and so then I assume you are probably into the MultiRotor sector of things (sorry if I'm wrong - you know what they say about ass-u-me-ing). That would be fine to fly at an event like this. I get the impression that most of the people in MCMAC are "plankers" (fixed wing pilots) first, but I'd say all of them enjoy and appreciate all aspects of the hobby (including Multirotor, fpv racing, aerial photog, single rotor helis, etc.). If you're looking for guidance or want to dip your toe in the hobby of RC, this is definitely a great place to start. There's bound to be somebody there that can help you with whatever you want. We're always willing to get someone started in the hobby. Going to a "fly-in" is how I really got into the hobby back in 2012/2013. (btw, I'm a RC helicopter kind of guy - but again, I appreciate all aspects of the hobby too).

Hope to see you there.
Nov 17, 2016, 09:15 PM
I wonder if VT indoor practice field could be acquired. That would be the craziest indoor flyin.
Nov 18, 2016, 04:00 PM
Which one is aileron again?
You saw my photos, didn't you Mapoff...
Dec 16, 2016, 12:03 PM
Looking forward to tonight's fly-in!

Ill be bringing my Pico Owl and a handful of batteries =D

Pico Owl Acro Fun (4 min 33 sec)

Quick Reply