Jul 07, 2004, 09:47 AM

Tail Servo Throw

Thanks Art, I will definitely add the tail fin extension you suggest... lots of grass around here!

This morning I moved the ball on my tail servo from the inner-most to the outer-most hole on the servo arm giving me the full throw range of the tail pitch slider. During the hover test yesterday I noticed that the tail was not very crisp on rudder input, hopefully this will help. What is the recommended distance from servo arm screw to ball center? (which hole are you using on the HS-50 big arm?)

More hover testing today to get the tail right and then maybe some FF. This thing is very cool! BTW, Art, I've been reading many of the threads in this forum and YOU ARE PROLIFIC DUDE! Thanks for sharing all the great info.

John
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2004, 11:07 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyanything
Thanks Art, I will definitely add the tail fin extension you suggest... lots of grass around here!

This morning I moved the ball on my tail servo from the inner-most to the outer-most hole on the servo arm giving me the full throw range of the tail pitch slider. During the hover test yesterday I noticed that the tail was not very crisp on rudder input, hopefully this will help. What is the recommended distance from servo arm screw to ball center? (which hole are you using on the HS-50 big arm?)

More hover testing today to get the tail right and then maybe some FF. This thing is very cool! BTW, Art, I've been reading many of the threads in this forum and YOU ARE PROLIFIC DUDE! Thanks for sharing all the great info.

John
Thanks John, I'm just learning like the rest of us.

Anyone flying the like90 blades with the stock motor? I just flew my first complete pack with a set. Not sure if I like them or not. They take about 10% more throttle stick to hover, and bog the motor down considerably more when lots of collective is added, and they took about a minute off of my flight time. anyone?
Jul 08, 2004, 12:46 AM
Art,
how come in all the pictures that you've shown us, the main gear looks very clean? I know that u fly them, but do you clean them (to the gears) after flying them?
I use some grease on the gears and they will always make the gears look black and dirty.
I had a bad crash yesterday, but didn't have any damage to the tail (because of the design of the tail fin extension that i use)... but instead i broke one of the alumnium skid!
Jul 08, 2004, 01:50 AM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xperimental
Art,
how come in all the pictures that you've shown us, the main gear looks very clean? I know that u fly them, but do you clean them (to the gears) after flying them?
I use some grease on the gears and they will always make the gears look black and dirty.

Grease on these gears is not advised. It actually attracts, retains dirt and grit and holds it in suspension . Now you have a lapping compoud that wears the gears prematurely. Lose the grease. The maingear is made of a material that actually has self lubricating properties.
Last edited by Hoverup; Jul 08, 2004 at 12:47 PM.
Jul 08, 2004, 04:31 AM
Ooo... thanks hoverup!
Never thought of that. I saw that on images that you've posted... there are some black stains.... so i thought it was oke.
Thank youuuuu...!!!
Jul 08, 2004, 04:39 AM
Guys... i've got something which i haven't figured out even with extensive reading of instruction manual....
I have a futaba TX6Hs and have figured out all configurations except the throttle hold. At throttle hold... i can input a value of -50% to +50% (default at 0%). In my understanding.. at default value, when i activate it... the throttle should be at idle (no power)..... But instead... it's almost at full throttle.... If i decrease it... throttle would go up to full.... if i increase it... throttle would decrease but only to around 50%....
So how can i make it so that when i activate throttle hold at some value.... the throttle would actually be at idle...
My setup are all stock. Anyone with a clue?
Thanks before!
Jul 08, 2004, 03:56 PM
I added the tail fin stiffener/extender as suggested. I added a small plastic "boot" to the end so it won't sink into the ground if I stick the tail into the grass.

I worked with a glow heli buddy of mine yesterday on getting the tail to lock but we never quite got it there, still wagging. I hovered first with the gyro in rate mode with gain at around 30% and we mechanically trimmed the tail control rod to get rid of the wagging drift. Once that was done we switched to HH and the thing started wagging worse. We did notice some vibration in the tail fin and figured that could be messing up the gyro. I left it in rate mode because it hovered easier for the rest of the pack but I really want to get it locked in with HH on.

Today I added the tail fin stiffener and lowered the 8t pinion further down the shaft so it engaged the entire tooth surface of the main gear. Before it was only engaging the top 2/3 of the main gear. The lash on the pinion and main gear is on the loose side but it's working well with no visible, damaging wear. The stock motor/pinion main gear lash was so tight that you could feel the whole heli ratcheting when you manually turned the main gear!

It's raining now but later I will do some more hover tests and see what, if any, effect these changes have had. I need to get rid of this wag before I start putting the heli through it's paces.

BTW, the glow heli guys at the club field were definitely interested in the Shogun and you could tell that they were Jones-ing for one.

John
Jul 08, 2004, 04:06 PM
What kind of gyro?? 30% seems very low. I have a gy240 set at 75%. Stock motor??
Jul 08, 2004, 04:27 PM
It's a GY240 with HS50 tail servo. I have a Himax 2025/4200. I know that's low but I read that lowering the gyro gain is one way to stop tail wagging. The fact that it didn't stop wagging makes me think there is something else (i.e. vibration) wrong with the setup.

John
Jul 08, 2004, 05:16 PM
Man, I really think that the wag is being caused by the vibration... I just came in from some hover testing and I can actually SEE the gyro shaking on the boom! Also, the wag appears to be the same whether the gain is set to 75% or 25%. I just spooled the heli up here in the house with weights on the skids so I could feel the boom... major vibration. I guess something in the head is out of balance? I don't feel any slop and checked all the screws for tightness. The blades were balanced out of the box, I checked them. I suppose I will have to pull the entire head off and put it on a balancer to see if that's the problem. Any suggestions?

John
Jul 08, 2004, 05:35 PM
Spindle shaft (holds the blades grips) could be bent. They bend very easy. Have you crashed at all? I have the same setup as you and I run at 75%
Jul 08, 2004, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyanything
Man, I really think that the wag is being caused by the vibration... I just came in from some hover testing and I can actually SEE the gyro shaking on the boom! Also, the wag appears to be the same whether the gain is set to 75% or 25%. I just spooled the heli up here in the house with weights on the skids so I could feel the boom... major vibration. I guess something in the head is out of balance? I don't feel any slop and checked all the screws for tightness. The blades were balanced out of the box, I checked them. I suppose I will have to pull the entire head off and put it on a balancer to see if that's the problem. Any suggestions?

John
There is not a heli in my fleet that doesn't have it's head with flybar and paddles balanced and then rebalanced with the main blades attached. Be sure to put a paint dot on one of the blade grips and it's companion blade so you know which blade goes where if you have to remove them for any reason. If you crash.trash a blade and have to replace it, then you should remove the head and main shaft and rebalance again. You won't believe how well this can smooth out the entire heli. It's sort of like a F1 or NASCAR pit stop, each time you do it, it gets easier and quicker. A necessary evil I am afraid.

Cheers - Boyd
Jul 08, 2004, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor
Spindle shaft (holds the blades grips) could be bent. They bend very easy. Have you crashed at all? I have the same setup as you and I run at 75%
Right on re: the spindle shaft. I have one that bent from the weight of the CF blades not being stowed in a holder. Walt Ferar was kind enough to fabricate a replacement spindle shaft for me from 3mm drill stock which was then hardened. Luckily I haven't dumped this one in a crash so I don't know what the next weak link that will fail is.
Jul 08, 2004, 08:47 PM
I will check the spindle tonight as well as pull the entire head and main shaft to check balance, then with blades. I have not crashed or even landed hard yet... only hovered three packs so far with no incidents.

Boyd, what do you use to check the head balance? I have prop balancers and main rotor balancer but nothing special for checking rotor heads. I figured I would take off the head and see if I can come up with a technique using what I have.

John

Quick Reply