Guide for flips and rolls for quads with CC3D - RC Groups

Benton County R/C Aerodrome (Adair Village, Oregon, United States)

May 19, 2015, 12:32 AM
Discussion

Guide for flips and rolls for quads with CC3D

This really helped me out learning flips and rolls, check it out.

https://forums.openpilot.org/topic/3...lls-for-noobs/
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks Scottie, think I'll try his mode settings. I haven't messed with the modes, just leave it on default while I learn but that might be the wrong approach. Did you try this? Next time out I'll bring laptop so we can change settings and check out impact.
May 19, 2015, 06:18 PM
Yeah Dave this is how I learned how to do flips and rolls. I don't use cruise control for throttle anymore but it really helped at first.
May 20, 2015, 01:53 AM
I recently got my 3 pos switch working and fiddled with my modes. I usually fly in Rattitude with rates of 360 deg/s now, up from the default 220. It's been an adjustment. My turns aren't as smooth anymore and I'm overcorrecting all over the place, but getting better. Still haven't flipped it.

I actually turned attitude down from 220 to something like 100 deg/s. It's a lot slower for when I let newbies fly. My Rate mode uses the same sheet as Rattitude, so it feels the same.

Finally got my replacement camera and hooked it up, I have fpv! Taking it out for the first test flight tomorrow, really looking forward to flying some longer circuits with you guys. I hear Scottie had some new gates out at Adair, can't wait to see em.
May 20, 2015, 03:14 PM
Levi, glad to hear that you got your FPV up and running. It's on now! I hope to get some flying in at Adair Friday evening about 5:30ish.
May 20, 2015, 09:57 PM
Wow, fpv is intense! I'm all over the place, it's like learning to fly all over again. I spent the first couple batteries trying not to crash, then did a couple figure 8 runs around some poles in my field. It's a lot harder to keep a steady altitude during fpv, I can't tell how high I am until the ground is rushing up at me. I'm sure it'll get easier with practice.

I feel like this camera isn't as crisp as it could be, or maybe it's the goggles, but picture quality could be better. Range seems ok, but I think I could improve my vtx antenna orientation because there are certain angles where I consistently start to 'fuzz out' while banking.

My wife has a class on Friday at 6, so I probably can't make it then. Maybe another night, or this weekend?
Last edited by LeviW; May 20, 2015 at 10:21 PM.
May 21, 2015, 12:33 AM
You will catch on quick, keep practicing. FPV is so much fun! I have kid duty this weekend while the wife works. I could fly after 5:30 on Saturday. I can bring an extra camera that you are welcome to try out.
May 23, 2015, 10:53 AM
Looks like I can make it out this evening, are you still free around 5:30?

I'm still all over the place, but getting better. I've mostly been flying back and forth across the field by my house, just doing laps. There's a tree with a great big extended overhanging branch about 5' off the ground, with tall grass underneath. I try to shoot the gap but come in too high or low about half the time. Feels like I'm skimming the trench of the Death Star. Except I fly more like Jar-Jar Binks than Luke Skywalker, lol.
May 23, 2015, 12:14 PM
Glad to hear you're making progress. Better soon you will fly young padawan. I'll see you at Adair after 5:30.
May 27, 2015, 04:07 PM
Boy, I'm with you Levi, I'm all over the place on altitude with fpv. I'm changing to cruise control to help with training.
You might have heard I smoked my Flame 450 so it's just 250 practice until I get parts which are all on BO.
We need to figure out a time that works for Levi and Scottie since Dennis and I can adjust schedule most times. What think you?
May 27, 2015, 05:14 PM
I can do Saturday after 5pm
May 29, 2015, 08:48 PM
I have a tentative hall pass for Saturday after 5pm, too. Now I just have to avoid getting in trouble with the missus for the next 24 hours..

Hope to see Dennis and Dave out there too, maybe we'll have a 4-way fpv derby!
May 29, 2015, 09:02 PM
Ha, better be on your best behavior. I will head straight to Adair after work, be there about 5:15.
Mar 14, 2016, 10:09 PM
Can anyone tell me why my flips in slower in rate than rattitude mode using the same settings bank?