May 21, 2018, 01:09 PM
iDoRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWongs View Post
Do you happen to have the stl files for that tray? Maybe I could have a go at 3d printing it as I don't have access to a laser cutter.

I've often thought about designing something to make the battery just Clio in, but am too busy flyin it.
I did consider 3d printing at the beginning, but did not develop along this route. The Deck has to be super sturdy. It is not only the weight of the battery pushing it in all directions by rotational forces while in flight, but also the push/pull loads while loading/removing battery.
My Deck is lifted up off the cabin floor, and the plastic is too flimsy to deliver on the requirements, or becomes heavy if brought to required thickness, or/and ridges added to stiffen it. Am sure it can be made to perform, but ply seemed to me like a better way to go, offering attractive weight to rigidity ratio without overcomplicating it. I've got Illustrator file if you are interested, but it would have to be redesigned for 3d due to the reasons mentioned above.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidassup View Post
I did consider 3d printing at the beginning, but did not develop along this route. The Deck has to be super sturdy. It is not only the weight of the battery pushing it in all directions by rotational forces while in flight, but also the push/pull loads while loading/removing battery.
My Deck is lifted up off the cabin floor, and the plastic is too flimsy to deliver on the requirements, or becomes heavy if brought to required thickness, or/and ridges added to stiffen it. Am sure it can be made to perform, but ply seemed to me like a better way to go, offering attractive weight to rigidity ratio without overcomplicating it. I've got Illustrator file if you are interested, but it would have to be redesigned for 3d due to the reasons mentioned above.
I understand. Thank you for the reply. One day I'll get my finger out and get something done...
May 21, 2018, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonhellcat View Post
tis but a flesh wound!
I've had worse.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
May 21, 2018, 03:25 PM
All of my plane's are still in one piece, but I've repaired a lot for the guys at the club and built a few depron fun planes. I'm sure sometime soon I'll feel what it's like to destroy one. From what I see, it's inevitable...
May 22, 2018, 02:12 AM
i crashed mine in a tree , wing joint left shoulder was damaged and reglued but lost canopy and lost floats plastic hinges. fortunately there are files on thingiverse to reprint hinges and for an fpv canopy...
Last edited by kaligola; May 22, 2018 at 04:15 AM.
May 22, 2018, 04:05 AM
The king of mediocre flyin'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligola View Post
i crashed mine in a tree , wing joint left shoulder was damaged and reglued but lost canopy and lost floats plastic hinges. fortunately there are files on thingiverse to repring hinges and for an fpv canopy...
Sorry to hear about your crash but it's very interesting the spares are available on thingiverse. In just a few years will be printing all our own stuff.

B
May 22, 2018, 04:11 AM
floats hinges
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1758774
fpv canopy
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2323478 when back home will find printed finished and mount all.

i did yet a landing gear on cessna 188 , those machines are hard to setup but useful. a big thanks to all ppl that are capable of drawing pieces.

by the way floats comes soon loose on this model because of bad gluing and it is terrible when happens in flight with a little wind
May 22, 2018, 04:35 AM
https://hmvc.eu/
I printed that FPV-thing 2 years ago and also made an arduino based head tracker.
Was fun until I saw the whole thing leave the plane at a certain flight.
I can't remember if the thing cracked in flight or that happened after landing.

I would make it from ABS now..
I haven't flown it for some time...
May 22, 2018, 05:23 AM
Sure materials are important. For relaxed flights pla is ok.
Going up a level of skills should go up a level in printing. A canopy or orher small helpful things like lipo holder or similar is helpful anyway. And costs of this accessories will pay back printer investment. I make small things for quads too..
May 22, 2018, 10:47 AM
Bush Pilot --- GOAT
Little Tundra time this morning.
May 22, 2018, 11:38 AM
Repair done
May 22, 2018, 12:08 PM
I've printed about 6 if the camera mounts (the one that attaches to the wing spar) for various people and myself of course. They are pretty strong in PLA. Provides a great platform for front and back facing the runcam.
May 22, 2018, 12:22 PM
Love the after hours pod cast
Steve when is the tundra kit going to be AVAILABLE for pre-order ?or will it just go live ?? What upgrade motor would you rec for 3/4s and would a 60-70 amp esc serve me better for 4s? Do the 60/70 amps escs run hott like the stock tundra esc
May 22, 2018, 01:03 PM
Takka, takka, takka, takka....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWongs View Post
He was coming in to land in a crosswind, got blown off to the side, panicked and hit the ground at full throttle. He was hoping to be able to bail out, but he was way too late. As he was, if he'd dropped the throttle and kept it level, he'd have just nosed over in long grass.

I feel so sorry for the guy. He's been learning to fly for a year longer than me, but has had a lot of health issues dragging him down.

I took it off him yesterday and will do my best to make it like new. I've already mixed paint to match the grey. Just have to mix the orange.

My choice of fixing is gorilla glue and cocktail sticks. It's good that it's a clean break and there's no crumpled foam, so it all fits together well.
Aah that sounds very familiar - at least he'd got a couple more flights than me on his Tundra before piling it in!! It'll be fine. Mine's been resurrected and it's just waiting for me to have some spare time before my next destruction test
May 22, 2018, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianl1201 View Post
Aah that sounds very familiar - at least he'd got a couple more flights than me on his Tundra before piling it in!! It'll be fine. Mine's been resurrected and it's just waiting for me to have some spare time before my next destruction test
The fuselage is already fixed and just needs painted. The wing was the tricky part. A big section of foam was ripped out almost cutting it in half. I can only guess that it was the prop after the front came off that caused it. Anyway... PU expanding foam adhesive did the trick and it's drying as I type.

It's going to look like new again.

Quick Reply