May 14, 2015, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Badddddd! Horizon Hobby Service at Joe Nall

So I'm down here at Joe Nall and go by to see the Horizon Hobby guys. Now I work part time for a Hobby Town store in NC so all day I sell ALOT of their products. So I'm thinking that I will swing buy the tent and talk to a few of the reps while here. Maybe get a few questions answered. Wow not the case at all. Very excited the first tent I go to was theirs and stand there for about 20 mins. There was at least 4 reps standing there and not one of them even asked if they could help me. Now I can understand of the counter was full but it was me, my buddy and maybe one other person there. So they were not over run with people. Well after standing there looking like a dufus I finally started to try and talk to one of these guys. I start to ask a question and the first one walks away. OK? Maybe he didn't hear me. No problem, no harm. I walk just a little ways and the second one did answer my question with a short one word answer and a sound in his voice like I was being a bother to him. Well after that the three of them were standing there more interested in staring off into space rather then helping the 3-4 customers that were standing there. I guess what really upset me is that I sell there products just about everyday plus as a customer have a lot of those planes and radios. WTH Horizon?? Thought the in person customer service would be slightly better then that. Soooo disappointed right now. On the other gad the guys at Hobbico were more then willing to help me.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2015, 07:12 PM
↑↑↓↓← →← → (B) (A) START
That's a shame because the employees at the Hobby Town near me here in Houston don't seem interested in the hobby at all. I WISH they had the kind of interest you seem to have, so to hear your report is disheartening.
May 14, 2015, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
I hear YA. The two of us love flying and everything about RC. My buddy and I spent our own money to come down here with absolutely no help from our store what's so ever. On top of that the companies we sell for wouldn't hardly speak to us. And som people wonder why it's so hard to stay in this hobby. Don't get me wrong Im not saying I wanted them to foot the bill but at least a Thank You would be nice. I was given one t shirt to wear when I first started there and since then that was it. Plus before anyone says anything about my employee discount let me just say this. 15% over cost on some items. That's about the same as giving a regular customer 10 - 15% off. Do its not much.
QUOTE=RustyShackleford;31624090]That's a shame because the employees at the Hobby Town near me here in Houston don't seem interested in the hobby at all. I WISH they had the kind of interest you seem to have, so to hear your report is disheartening.[/QUOTE]
May 14, 2015, 07:59 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Are you sure they weren't sponsored pilots just hanging out, they all wear the blue shirts? I am not trying to cut them free slack but if pilots then they wouldn't normally answer customer questions at the tent, and may walk away purposely? Just a possibility...

Jack
May 14, 2015, 08:17 PM
rc user
I would think the sponsored pilots would take an interest in those that help keep them employed.
May 14, 2015, 09:23 PM
I don't find this unusual for them at all. It seems to be a long running attitude over at Horizon. Back in 2000 I was fortunate enough to have a position on the road crew of a country Trio. This trio at the time won CMT's entertainers of the year so they at that time were very big news. My job was piloting a 28' long blimp during set change. It just so happened that I was using JR radio gear. At one point the tour went into Champange IL. A week before arriving there I had cleared 2 tickets to the show, back stage passes and a press release. Once those were in place I made a call the the then JR team manager. In all I called 3 times and left messages as to what the intent was. The result was not a single returned call. This was a real missed oppertunity as I had arranged the green light for them to take pictures and use them however way they wanted. It could have been of great promotional value to them. When in Champange and during the show I was approached by a Horizon employee that actually noticed the tape over the JR logo on the TX. Out of curiosity he asked why it was covered up. My reply was simply that his boss doesn't return calls. A month later the same TX was in veiw when the blimp was featured on what was at the time the # 1 rated daytime talk show, again with tape over the logo.
May 14, 2015, 10:51 PM
I get to see employees from both Horizon Hobby and Hobbico at the AMA Expo every January and both staffs do a great job answering questions and looking for people who want to talk to them. Sorry you didn't have a good experience at Horizon Hobby today. Mike H
May 14, 2015, 11:20 PM
Sorry you had issues with them. I met them at SEFF last year after purchasing a UMX Radian from one of the vendors there. The elevator servo locked up after one flight and I walked over to their tent and showed them what it was doing. They immediately grabbed a new one from their trailer and swapped it out. They even let me keep the battery and charger from the first one.
May 15, 2015, 06:47 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
My experience with Horizon people has always been positive. I have asked questions and such and they all were very nice.

There were a couple reports from SEFF that the same sort of attitude was present there.
I don't know how true they were, I wasn't at SEFF, so I just take those reports with a grain of salt.

You know sometimes people have a ruddy poor day. Nothing seems to go rightm, I have had days like that and the last thing I want to do is answer questions of solve some problems. While there may be no excuse for their behavior, what has been reported can happen.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
May 15, 2015, 07:51 AM
The more I think about this the more I think it may have been sponsored pilots or the like. When I was in the business it was common to get sponsored guys to man the trade show booths. I will admit that when I delt directly with sales reps they were always great to deal with. This was a long time ago within a couple years of Hobby Dynamics becoming Horizon.
May 15, 2015, 10:12 AM
↑↑↓↓← →← → (B) (A) START
The only experience with their customer service I've had was a bad one. I talked to two HH reps and both gave me attitude and I was nothing but kind. I finally had to talk to a supervisor and although still pretty cold, he was at least professional.

Sponsored pilots or not, if they are any kind of decent person they would give you the time of day, if not at least direct you to someone who would. Sounds like jerks and if they were in any way representing Horizon, Horizon is responsible.
May 15, 2015, 10:45 AM
I have had both sides from HH at shows, some are super nice and helpful and others act like I am bothering them. I get it that some are there flying and some are there working the booth but as someone who works at trade shows maybe they should have clear designation or schedules for who "works" the booth and takes 100 percent care of their customers all the time and then those scheduled to fly. Then schedule time for employees to walk the shows but everyone knows what they are providing all the time to the customer (service, product info, flight demos) and I know as well. Maybe different colors of shirts? Maybe they do some of this now but seems very unorganized because maybe I am asking the wrong person for help on service or products. But at the end they all represent HH but if I asked a pilot something at least he could walk me over to someone providing service for me to work with rather then brushing me off because he is busy. Unfortunately some of the best pilots aren't the best customer service people but maybe they shouldn't be the people getting those questions?
May 15, 2015, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
At this point it doesn't really matter. Fact of the matter is weather they were a pilot on or off the clock or a rep ( on or off the clock) we were completely ignored. Let me just say this. Today was mostly the same thing over again. I went back with an open mind and tried to put yesterday behind me. Again I walked up and this time there were more people there. Asked the question and got once again a one word response. How ever the guy next to me was asking about a $1500 plane and the salesmen all but ran around the table to help him. Now what is the difference between me and this other guy. $$$$$$$$ And what those Horizon guys don't know is that I sold over $30000 in the past three months worth of those products yet I'm shunned away. Sorry just sorry.
May 15, 2015, 12:19 PM
↑↑↓↓← →← → (B) (A) START
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseese
I have had both sides from HH at shows, some are super nice and helpful and others act like I am bothering them. I get it that some are there flying and some are there working the booth but as someone who works at trade shows maybe they should have clear designation or schedules for who "works" the booth and takes 100 percent care of their customers all the time and then those scheduled to fly. Then schedule time for employees to walk the shows but everyone knows what they are providing all the time to the customer (service, product info, flight demos) and I know as well. Maybe different colors of shirts? Maybe they do some of this now but seems very unorganized because maybe I am asking the wrong person for help on service or products. But at the end they all represent HH but if I asked a pilot something at least he could walk me over to someone providing service for me to work with rather then brushing me off because he is busy. Unfortunately some of the best pilots aren't the best customer service people but maybe they shouldn't be the people getting those questions?
Bad customer service is one thing, treating someone with little to know respect is another. I don't even work in retail but I've given better "customer service" when asked for assistance by fellow shoppers than what this guy is reporting and since I've been on the receiving end of their customer support, I believe him.
May 15, 2015, 12:22 PM
rc user
Well hopefully horizon reads the forums..

Quick Reply