Gt500 - Page 14 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 19, 2018, 10:59 AM
There are some here that will tell you that discharging to 3.3, 3.5, or 3.6 is bad for your battery. Not sure I agree with that but I don't believe there is any benefit to going that low. Pretty much everyone agrees that 3.7 is a safe floor.

Honestly I have never seen much evidence that any of this is helpful. If it were me I would just charge and fly and take it easy for a few flights if I thought there was any benefit, which I'm not sure there is.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2018, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2
There are some here that will tell you that discharging to 3.3, 3.5, or 3.6 is bad for your battery. Not sure I agree with that but I don't believe there is any benefit to going that low. Pretty much everyone agrees that 3.7 is a safe floor.

Honestly I have never seen much evidence that any of this is helpful. If it were me I would just charge and fly and take it easy for a few flights if I thought there was any benefit, which I'm not sure there is.
I am a little confused by all the suggestions . I do like the idea of a 3.7 V floor for cycling, as most advice recommends somewhere in the 3.8 volt area for storage. Have you ever had a battery manufacturer recommend the "Formation" charge cycle when batteries are new?
Tom
Jan 19, 2018, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEinSKY
...Have you ever had a battery manufacturer recommend the "Formation" charge cycle when batteries are new?
Tom
Not with LiPo. No, I've never seen that.
Jan 22, 2018, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Thank you for the reply! I was hoping to automate this sequence they were talking about in Post #41 in "Ask the battery guy" thread. It seems like a good idea for the length of time my lipos are stored. I had also better do more advanced reading about my GT chargers to see if some of this capacity already exists. Perhaps use a set of 3 presets in sequence to accomplish this?

Quote from Post 41...

How would the formation function be different from the charge/discharge you can do on the powerlabs today?
Good Question.
Preconditioning works better on a controlled manner, especially after longer term storage.

That is maybe cycle 3.3 - 4.1V first at a lower c rate
then 3.5 - 4.15 slightly faster
and then a fuller cycle at 1C rate
Quote:
OK, how about this? I program 3 cycles and save them in preset locations 1, 2, and 3.

I set up preset#1 to discharge to 3.3V, then charge to 4.1V.
I switch to preset #2, which discharges to 3.5V, then charges to 4.15V.
I switch to preset 3#, which discharges to 3.6V (I could use an official recommendation here), then charges all the way to 4.2V/cell.

These 3 presets accomplish the 3 states of discharge / charge needed to PreCondition or Formation charge the batteries after storage.

Now, if the 3 (or more) presets could AUTOMATICALLY be run in sequence, that would automate the entire PreCondition regimen.
Is this possible?
Sorry, the current firmware is not able to automate any programs.
Jan 23, 2018, 06:34 PM
Ah, thank you Fong. But maybe in the NEXT firmware update???
Jan 24, 2018, 08:40 AM
Yes, we will put this idea into consideration for the next update.

Quick Reply