Model Aviation's Sky Skimmer 52" waterplane - RC Groups
May 12, 2015, 10:10 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
Build Log

Model Aviation's Sky Skimmer 52" waterplane

I've searched the RCG's forums and cannot find a build log for the Sky Skimmer featured in MA's May 2015 issue so I'll start one.

I received the plans from AMA last week and I began collecting the balsa and ply per the materials list including some orange and white Monokote (not too keen on the yellow transparent in the article only because I used that same combination on a recent build). Thank you Curtis Mees for generously giving me as much balsa as I could carry today!

The plane is much bigger than the MA article's photos suggest. It should be a great flyer!
http://www.modelaviation.com/skyskimmer

If anyone else dives into this project, please add to this thread. I'm already thinking of some slight variations and I'd be interested to see what others are thinking.
Last edited by IfIHadWings; Aug 21, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2015, 12:54 PM
Gravity sucks.
Might want to move thread to Electric plane or Electric Sport category, I dont think this us a scale ship....
May 13, 2015, 02:00 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Or even to the -- Waterplanes forum

It looks like a poor mans version of an Icon 5.
May 13, 2015, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Or even to the -- Waterplanes forum

It looks like a poor mans version of an Icon 5.
Wow....
May 14, 2015, 11:02 PM
Request to move thread submitted.

Took the material list to Joe Nall 2015's vendor row and went shopping! Picked up (2) 1/8" x 12" x 48" 6 ply popular for $19 per sheet, ten balsa blocks for $.50 each and various dowels. I am about set to start cutting my pieces.
Jul 26, 2015, 04:59 PM
Have you made any progress? I've started a build also and have most of the pieces cut out. I was hoping someone was further along than I am.
Jul 26, 2015, 07:50 PM
Dgrr29....glad to someone else is working on this. I like to start with the wings on my scratch builds so I cut out the ribs and started there. Slow going with so many good flying days and other projects. I hope to have it done by the fall. October is typically ideal around here.

Let's share progress here. I suspect we'll learn things as we go (for instance, the rudder servo isn't on the plans....?).

Happy building!
Aug 16, 2015, 10:28 PM
Ordered the servos, motor and ESC to set it up on 4s. I'm going to add flaps just because I can.
My other projects (eg, hardwood floor and body work on truck) are complete so hopefully I can devote some time to the Skimmer and have it finished by October.
Aug 21, 2015, 04:46 PM
Wings are off the wax paper! Servo mounts for flaps and aileron in place. Flap/aileron cut marked. Making progress!!
Last edited by IfIHadWings; Aug 21, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Aug 21, 2015, 06:41 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Looking good!

Looks like an interesting design and a fairly challenging build. Do you have any pics of the finished product?
'Stick a stick a day' and she'll soon be flying!
Cheers,
PeteM
Aug 22, 2015, 02:06 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Nice - thank you!
Aug 27, 2015, 01:08 PM
Got the wing halves sheeted and sanded with servo wires installed. Dry hinged the ailerons and flaps. Should be able to join them this weekend and move onto vertical and horizontal stabs.
Aug 30, 2015, 09:51 AM
Well mine has been on pause for about a month due to work but I'm hoping to make some progress this week.
Aug 30, 2015, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrr29
Well mine has been on pause for about a month due to work but I'm hoping to make some progress this week.
I understand completely! I made NO progress over the weekend.