Jun 13, 2015, 08:08 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
I usually put flat plates on the tips, Had not gotten to it yet. The glue was barely dry.

I got tired of the flex so trimmed the wing to a 30" span. Maybe It will roll faster. Have not tested it yet.

The last 3d I built I just couldn't build it with a flat plate vertical body so I did it built up. It flies good to my mind.

Hopefully I will come to grips with the handling and lack or stiffness of this one. I can see the theoretical advantage of flat as it may have lower drag and less weight, maybe.

When I said 30" fuselage I was only referring to the main body, not the movable elevator or rudder.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2015, 05:17 PM
CG =Airplanes .. COG's = Gears
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the plans.

I've been following along and noticed a few comments regarding the flight characteristics of the "One Hit". It appeared that the plans, in a case or two, may not have been followed and there was an additional possibility that setup advice was ignored.

Just to be sure my assumptions were correct I built one as close to the plans as I could with the materials I had on hand. I did use two aileron servos. Seemed easier for me to set the differential that way.

Wonder of Wonders .... Mine flew like yours in the videos.

I guess it pays to follow the instructions.

Respectfully,

Connie
Jun 14, 2015, 06:15 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec121connie
Hi Andrew

Respectfully,

Connie
I am glad to hear that....... Your build is beautiful! I would love to see a video!

Thank you much!

Andrew
Jun 14, 2015, 06:36 PM
Connie.
I would agree that you plane looks nice. How do you control twist?
Jun 14, 2015, 08:37 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
And we decided to try a bigger version of the same plane. Here are a few pictures of a 45" version made from 1/2" blucore foam. The carcass as you see it is right at 310 grams and it will be powered by a Turnigy DT-750 with a 30 amp esc and a 12x3.8 prop. AUW will be about 700 grams or so (We hope). The carbon fiber wing spar is now 1/2" x 1/4" balsa and the rest seem pretty rigid. It will need struts and after it is hinged and glued we will work out those details. This one will be lit up with some high intensity white LED's and we are thinking about a red, white and blue paint scheme for the 4th of July. We will see if the larger frame performs as well as the 30".
Jun 15, 2015, 06:58 PM
Added some bamboo skewers to my plane. To the middle of the strut then the second to the fuse. and the third to the elevator. Also added layers to the nose and mounted the motor to plastic bottle and embedded it to the fuselage.

Finally a plane that handles.

What I didn't do was add backward wingtips. put in a full fuselage and call it stock.

How come you double the planes wing area and increase the plastic by 3x.
Jun 15, 2015, 07:14 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Can I see pictures? How did you embed a soda bottle?
Jun 15, 2015, 07:14 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Added some bamboo skewers to my plane. To the middle of the strut then the second to the fuse. and the third to the elevator. Also added layers to the nose and mounted the motor to plastic bottle and embedded it to the fuselage.

Finally a plane that handles.

What I didn't do was add backward wingtips. put in a full fuselage and call it stock.

How come you double the planes wing area and increase the plastic by 3x.
Can I see pictures? How did you embed a soda bottle?
Jun 15, 2015, 08:33 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the plans.

I've been following along and noticed a few comments regarding the flight characteristics of the "One Hit". It appeared that the plans, in a case or two, may not have been followed and there was an additional possibility that setup advice was ignored.

Just to be sure my assumptions were correct I built one as close to the plans as I could with the materials I had on hand. I did use two aileron servos. Seemed easier for me to set the differential that way.

Respectfully,

Connie
So did you like how it flew? Any suggestions?
Jun 15, 2015, 09:30 PM
Here is a pic.

Stiffer is better.
Jun 16, 2015, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radcliffe
So did you like how it flew? Any suggestions?
It flies fine although I'm not a 3D flier. I tend to just bore holes in the sky.

I'm using an old GForce 2830 on a 2 cell 850mah battery and it will do everything I'm capable of trying. Rudder turns are flat with out any roll coupling. Aileron rolls are linear in both directions. Loops are straight with out needing any rudder corrections. I can get it to hover without any difficulty

I'm a Low-Tech guy. No cell phone or video camera so I can't post any videos

On another note ... I think you're about to find out why many scratch builders quit posting plans.

Regards,

Connie
Jun 16, 2015, 07:36 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
It flies fine although I'm not a 3D flier. I tend to just bore holes in the sky.

I'm using an old GForce 2830 on a 2 cell 850mah battery and it will do everything I'm capable of trying. Rudder turns are flat with out any roll coupling. Aileron rolls are linear in both directions. Loops are straight with out needing any rudder corrections. I can get it to hover without any difficulty

I'm a Low-Tech guy. No cell phone or video camera so I can't post any videos

On another note ... I think you're about to find out why many scratch builders quit posting plans.

Regards,

Connie
Thank you for all your kind words. We spent a lot of time considering and calculating the relationships between the throws and the sizes of the control surfaces to make a "stable" 3D bird (and I say that in jest as by its nature a 3D bird is not intended to be stable, a better term might be predictable.......). It is difficult because many of the conventional aircraft rules of thumb and the normal relationships used are meant to create a craft that is self righting, flies level, etc. In this case we simply want straight and even (linear was a great term, Sir!) and we want all of the normal, self-righting tendencies to go away! The side area of the body and the SFG's are as much a part of the airfoil as the wings and all has to be carefully considered. The simple change of moving the broad surface of the SFG towards the front of the wing makes it entirely a different bird in a roll and in a knife-edge.

I think we have a balance in the 30", at least one that suits my flying wants, but knowing that that does not always follow through in scale we will see how this all translates to the different loadings in the 45".

As far as posting plans, yes, when you have taken the time to really think things through and have done the true engineering to make a proper design, not just one done by eye then forced to fly, I can understand the frustration some could have when the plans are ignored! But the way I see it who knows? Some of the best innovations have come about by accident and perhaps a deviation might just yield a better idea, even if that was not a predictable outcome. I also understand that the human brain when properly attuned to an abstract like this can estimate and guesstimate many of the things hours of calculations might not achieve. I wonder how many times our "gut feelings" are really the results of all of the science and physics simply analyzed by our subconscious mind and then only the result becoming the conscious thought? You can never replace experience in any design process.

My best to you Sir, and thank you for your insight, experience and your efforts!
Jun 19, 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radcliffe
And we decided to try a bigger version of the same plane. Here are a few pictures of a 45" version made from 1/2" blucore foam. We will see if the larger frame performs as well as the 30".
Have you had a chance to fly the 45" version yet?
Jun 19, 2015, 08:34 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
No it's kind of been a crazy week it's actually still sitting on the same table from the picture hope to get it painted this weekend.
Jun 24, 2015, 12:33 PM
Hey Andrew,
What glue are you using for hinges on the Dollar Tree foam?

Quick Reply