Jun 09, 2015, 04:33 AM
CG =Airplanes .. COG's = Gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents
I've had a heat gun for a while now but its hard to get the edges to tack down without it melting and rolling up on foam.
In the past I've added a thin balsa strip to the edges of the panels where I wanted to iron down the covering material.
Adding a 1/32 or1/16 balsa strip doesn't add much in the weight department and saves the aggravation of deforming the edges of the wing or fuselage panels when you attach the covering.

Regards,

Connie
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2015, 06:31 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec121connie
In the past I've added a thin balsa strip to the edges of the panels where I wanted to iron down the covering material.
Adding a 1/32 or1/16 balsa strip doesn't add much in the weight department and saves the aggravation of deforming the edges of the wing or fuselage panels when you attach the covering.

Regards,

Connie
Not a bad idea at all. One of the week points of these very light builds has always been the hinges for me. Even the best tape hinges seem to peel after a while with the extreme flying I do and the last few we have built with 3M 77 glued hinges, which is ok, but I still pull them loose at times. I have considered taking a 1/32" balsa strip and gluing it to the bottom of the hinge chamfer, both sides, and using sandwiching strips of balsa between the wood and the foam to make a more conventional hinge. Your balsa strip could serve double duty!
Jun 09, 2015, 07:01 AM
CG =Airplanes .. COG's = Gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radcliffe
Not a bad idea at all. One of the week points of these very light builds has always been the hinges for me. Even the best tape hinges seem to peel after a while with the extreme flying I do and the last few we have built with 3M 77 glued hinges, which is ok, but I still pull them loose at times. I have considered taking a 1/32" balsa strip and gluing it to the bottom of the hinge chamfer, both sides, and using sandwiching strips of balsa between the wood and the foam to make a more conventional hinge. Your balsa strip could serve double duty!
I use two balsa strips, about 1/4 square along the hinge lines of the tail feathers on my larger FFF and DT Foam builds. They function like a spar as well as providing options for the hinging from tape to conventional methods.

I've had good results over the years.

Here are a couple of my most recent.

Regards,

Connie
Jun 09, 2015, 02:10 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec121connie
I use two balsa strips, about 1/4 square along the hinge lines of the tail feathers on my larger FFF and DT Foam builds. They function like a spar as well as providing options for the hinging from tape to conventional methods.

I've had good results over the years.

Here are a couple of my most recent.

Regards,

Connie
Amazing, Snoopy flies a lot of our planes too, and all of our warbirds!

He certainly gets around.

Very nice work by the way, thanks for sharing.

I am going to experiment a bit with taking the best of your hinge ideas and our own and see if I can come up with a super light, yet study hinge for Dollar Tree foam. If anyone else want to share experiences, good or bad, please chime in!

I will report back with any ideas that are worth anything.

My best to you too!

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Radcliffe; Jun 09, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Jun 10, 2015, 10:14 PM
Do you guys peel the paper off of your Dollar Tree foam, and is it worthwhile, is there a big weight savings ?

Is pulling it off difficult , is there a special technique ?

zak
Last edited by starzak; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:19 PM.
Jun 10, 2015, 10:26 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
I usually mist the paper with a eyeglass mist bottle. Just dampen it a bit and it peels off a lot easier and leaves a cleaner surface than dry peel. White paper peels a lot better than black.

Although the paper adds a lot of stiffness it will peel or de-laminate when it becomes damp.
Jun 11, 2015, 07:04 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzak
Do you guys peel the paper off of your Dollar Tree foam, and is it worthwhile, is there a big weight savings ?

Is pulling it off difficult , is there a special technique ?

zak
Basic guy obviously has done this before! His reply is good but let me echo and reinforce it so you do not repeat our sad mistakes! Yes, a big weight savings and more importantly, if your bird is subject to real stresses that paper can come loose and the bird comes apart. I soak the paper with just plain water and peel it off. Sometimes it is a bit of a pain because it might layer off rather than come off cleanly. If a thin layer remains soak it again and rub with a soft cloth. If your model is for display it makes no difference. It you want to fly, well.....

If you pull it off dry many times you scar the foam and make a rough surface.
Jun 11, 2015, 11:54 AM
This is exactly what I am finding. Thanks Andrew, I will give it a try.

zak
Jun 12, 2015, 12:30 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
CHECK OUT THE DAYTIME VIDEO
ONE HIT WONDER DAYTIME HUCK (3 min 53 sec)
Jun 12, 2015, 01:21 PM
I couldn't get your plans to print on my computer except to fit a regular sheet of paper. From that I laid mine out on foamboard taking liberties as to shape and reinforcement techniques at least to start. The wings are 36", body is 30" long.

Had to send my Turnigy 350 2s battery back as it would go flat in one cell. I should have a new one first of the week, Hobby King has been really efficient in warranties. In the mean time I will probably fly it with a 1000mah 3s.
Jun 13, 2015, 10:01 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
I couldn't get your plans to print on my computer except to fit a regular sheet of paper. From that I laid mine out on foamboard taking liberties as to shape and reinforcement techniques at least to start. The wings are 36", body is 30" long.

Had to send my Turnigy 350 2s battery back as it would go flat in one cell. I should have a new one first of the week, Hobby King has been really efficient in warranties. In the mean time I will probably fly it with a 1000mah 3s.
I worry a bit that if you reduce the body length you might lose a bit of tail authority, but the only way to really know is to build and fly it. I look forward to seeing it in the air!
Jun 13, 2015, 04:08 PM
Hi Andrew.
I have flown it about 10 times so far. First time flying a profile. It doesn't turn at all with the ailerons, will roll fine continuing along the same heading. Initially I used a one piece elevator and notched the rudder. After not being able to turn well I notched the elevator and made the rudder full size.

Rudder will let it flat turn in 4' diameter. Mine weighs 9 oz with a 3oz battery. Getting a 2s 360mah should really help. . More than half power will let it climb vertical. You can see the fuselage twisting under power. It is stiff up/down and left/right just not torsionally . Likewise the wings can flutter some. I can make it go up and around Hovering is easy. Perhaps on the next go around I will put bigger ailerons and elevator. I have them maxed out on throw at this point. Did you put on guy wires?
Jun 13, 2015, 05:57 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Hi Andrew.
I have flown it about 10 times so far. First time flying a profile. It doesn't turn at all with the ailerons, will roll fine continuing along the same heading. Initially I used a one piece elevator and notched the rudder. After not being able to turn well I notched the elevator and made the rudder full size.

Rudder will let it flat turn in 4' diameter. Mine weighs 9 oz with a 3oz battery. Getting a 2s 360mah should really help. . More than half power will let it climb vertical. You can see the fuselage twisting under power. It is stiff up/down and left/right just not torsionally . Likewise the wings can flutter some. I can make it go up and around Hovering is easy. Perhaps on the next go around I will put bigger ailerons and elevator. I have them maxed out on throw at this point. Did you put on guy wires?
Well, we have no issue doing a standard aileron turn, just a bit of aileron and a bit of up elevator on ours. Why no sfg's?
Jun 13, 2015, 06:09 PM
Sfg?
Jun 13, 2015, 07:34 PM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Side force generators they are on the wing tips

Quick Reply