Jun 10, 2016, 08:38 AM
Andrew Radcliffe
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design
Just sent you an email...

Let's talk!

There's a LOT I'd be happy to share with you about producing kits and other "Options"...

30+ years in prototype design, tooling, setting up for production, advertising etc.... Many design awards, Time (Silver design award, Newsweek (Top ten design, Industrial Design Magazine, etc...

Check out the History Channel: Million Dollar Genius series. I'm featured in the third segment of the first episode... That should give you a better idea of what I do for "work". LOL! (I LOVE my job... Except when I'm swamped and dealing with tight, looming deadlines! LOL!)

There's a LOT I'd be happy to share as a fellow pilot!

Richard
Let me know how the build goes sorry we have not had much time for returning emails and such. Post pics!! Hope all is well we are gearing up for a "build weekend" the bar is set high with 3-4 airplanes on the list!!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2019, 07:14 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
I want a 3D to fly indoors and last through the winter. I'm making a OHW from 6mm EPP. I have years of experience building with Adams Readi-Board but I never worked with this stuff. This EPP is floppy. I have a stash of CF rod from 0.5mm to 3mm ready to stiffen it up. All cut and ready to start gluing and painting. Skipped the alignment slots and haven't cut the SFG's because I may not put them on the wing tips.
Dec 17, 2019, 08:43 AM
TooJung....how did it turn out and what power system did you use. Where did you get the epp?
Last edited by danskis; Dec 17, 2019 at 09:15 AM.
Dec 17, 2019, 09:49 AM
I got the EPP from Wind Catcher RC. A pleasure to do business with them. I took some time off but got back to it this week.

Routing the slot for 3mm CF rod.

Name: IMG_1619.JPG
Views: 26
Size: 311.3 KB
Description: Routing the slot for 3mm CF rod.

Top side paint job.

Name: IMG_1647.JPG
Views: 28
Size: 354.4 KB
Description: Top side paint job.

I'm too impatient for 4 color paint jobs like this. The bottom side will be something simple and 1 or 2 color.

Jon
Last edited by TooJung2Die; Dec 18, 2019 at 08:07 AM.
Dec 17, 2019, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooJung2Die

....I'm too impatient for 4 color paint jobs like this. The bottom side will be something simple and 2 color.

Jon
Posterboard paint templates rock!

I use them all the time.
Dec 18, 2019, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Posterboard paint templates rock!
I'm using poster board for the first time. You are right, it makes a good airbrush mask.
Dec 18, 2019, 06:22 PM
Paint job is done. Fuselage and hinges are done.

Name: IMG_1654.JPG
Views: 15
Size: 311.7 KB
Description: Top side paint.

Name: IMG_1655.JPG
Views: 16
Size: 324.5 KB
Description: Bottom side paint.
Dec 24, 2019, 09:23 AM
Ready for flight if the weather cooperates. Weight without battery is 147 grams, about 5.2 ounces. Less than the Yak-55 made from MPF and weighing 6.8 ounces without battery. The OHW has a Gartt 2204-1500kv motor with a 8x4 prop for the first flights.

Name: IMG_1661.JPG
Views: 11
Size: 388.4 KB
Description: One Hit Wonder 6mm EPP Name: IMG_1659.JPG
Views: 8
Size: 376.6 KB
Description: Bottom showing CF stiffeners.

Now I understand why Leadfeather made the tail of the Yak so wide. EPP foam is very floppy. The One Hit Wonder needs CF stiffening in the tail section when built from EPP. The OHW is probably okay without support when made with Adam's FB or MPF.

Name: IMG_1662.JPG
Views: 13
Size: 375.8 KB
Description: Leadfeather Yak-55 and EPP One Hit Wonder.

Guess I did a pretty good job with the symmetry. Here it is balanced on the propeller hub.

Name: IMG_1681.JPG
Views: 14
Size: 402.6 KB
Description: Balanced on the propeller.

Jon
Dec 30, 2019, 06:48 AM
Flight Report! The One Hit Wonder flies great. I flew it with a 350 mAh and 450 mAh 2S. With the throttle barely open it floats around like a slow flier. At 3/4 throttle it has unlimited vertical. Loops are so tight it looks like a back flip. It rolls like a drill. If you start the rolls with a nose up attitude you can roll it all day. Inverted flight is neutral; no down elevator needed.

On the fourth flight it started acting strange. The elevator servo locked up. It was a new servo but it was a little noisy from the start. Fortunately the servo froze with the elevator centered. I got it down unharmed and swapped batteries. The elevator worked again but soon locked up in the air. This time it hit the wing tip hard on landing and cart wheeled. There was a only a small crack in the EPP at the wing root. The wing is fixed and the servo replaced with a fresh one. I can't wait to try this out indoors at the hockey arena.
Jan 05, 2020, 10:38 PM
The winter weather hasn't allowed any outdoor flying and we haven't had an indoor flying session in over two weeks because of the holidays. With nothing to do but work on projects I added a couple of things to the OHW. It now has side force generators on the wing tips. Wish I had more time to get used to it without them but they're supposed to help. I may have to add CF to stiffen them. We'll see...

Name: IMG_1699.JPG
Views: 12
Size: 335.8 KB
Description: SFG's added to wing tips.

In case you didn't notice it in the above photo it now has landing gear. I always wondered why F3P airplanes have these ridiculously small wheels so I looked it up. I didn't find very much but aerolite has made a few videos showing how he makes F3P landing gear. It's all about keeping the weight as light as possible. Some 3D airplanes don't use wheels at all and only have little skids to take off and land with because wheels can be heavy. If you only take off and land on shiny gym floors then that's all you really need. I made the wheels from foam, tubing and gift card. The struts are 1.5mm CF rod.

Name: IMG_1698.JPG
Views: 12
Size: 311.7 KB
Description:

The landing gear and SFG's added a whole 8 grams so the weight is now 155 grams, still under 5 1/2 ounces. That shouldn't be very noticeable.
Jan 06, 2020, 07:41 AM
Retired CAD guy
Andrew,
It's been a few years since I did your SimSymSam Biplane.
I've been distracted by a plunge into 3DPrinting.

You doubted the sanity really large version at the time.
But I really liked the slowness of it's flying - slow enough to match my flying skills ! ;>}
I still have it.
It survived mainly because of the Bracing with Kevlar thread.
I will resurrect it for the 2020 flying season.

Regardless. I may also do the 45" version of this one so's to have a "SET" of 3D Planes.

Best

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Jan 19, 2020, 10:00 PM
a random dude

I'm missing something.....

where's the plans?
Jan 19, 2020, 10:32 PM
One Hit Wonder plans are in the first post of this thread; named "page 1" and "page 2".
Feb 05, 2020, 02:19 PM
a random dude

do I need landing gear?

I've only ever flown bigger planes with landing gear. I'm comfortable w/hand launch, but don't you dork your prop w/o landing gear? I've never used prop savers. Fly off of grass I guess? any tips are appreciated.

thanks,
sconnie
Feb 05, 2020, 02:40 PM
These small foam planes are hand launched and you land by chopping the throttle near the grass and just plopping it down.

Quick Reply