This thread is privately moderated by MassiveOverkill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 11, 2015, 10:04 AM
Whoops!

Stop The Eeeevil Motor Bolts!!!!!!!!

In our effort to stop the senseless killing of inanimate objects , we continue our series of saving more innocent victims of our precious hobby.

Many motors come with multiple sets of motor mounting bolts. Most of you who've never done this before will gravitate towards the longest bolt sets because as many of us are males, we will cater to our machismo. Some will select the longest bolts simply because our mechanical experience tells us it will give a better anchor.

Arm widths can vary in thickness so that's why multiple bolts are supplied to accomodate. You should ALWAYS check to make sure when your bolts are tightened all the way down they're not trying to impale the hard-working and very innocent motor coil.

Here you can see a bolt that's too long installed:

And the resulting damage and slaughter of the innocents:

If you're lucky, and you didn't actually sever the coils like in the above photo, you can possibly still salvage the motor by making sure that the short only existed when the bolt was touching and you didn't damage the stator tooth, reapply some nail polish or shellac to the coils to re-insulate them and apologize profusely for your transgression.
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; May 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2015, 10:15 AM
Comes down to common sense, and sadly you can't buy that.

But it also means manufacturers cannot alter what they give you - because it is not known to them what their application is, so longer/shorter bolts than provided maybe required!
May 11, 2015, 10:33 AM
Caster Of Pods
I have seen this mistake made a time, or three. Fortunately, I've always had the foresight, to check to be certain that my motor screws don't interfere with the windings. LoL
May 11, 2015, 12:53 PM
when is the wind stopping??
It's simple...they just need to make the screw holes not go through the whole assembly and will save some coils!!
May 11, 2015, 06:08 PM
Waste Nothing
eVILE screws anyway . Color me guilty on this one . Been there and done that . Once !

As for markkona's comment above , Why would the manufacturer want to fix this design anyway . They are out to sell more motors ! Just my opinion .
May 13, 2015, 11:14 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R View Post
eVILE screws anyway . Color me guilty on this one . Been there and done that . Once !

As for markkona's comment above , Why would the manufacturer want to fix this design anyway . They are out to sell more motors ! Just my opinion .
Yeah but you know that the guy who makes good quality motors at a good price sells more motors than your average seller .
May 18, 2015, 04:21 PM
Blind holes are harder to make than through holes, and given the size of these motors, the amount of material left would either be small & weak or unnecessarily large to prevent some gorilla from just forcing the screw through it anyways, which is the kind of thing you guys would probably do anyways.

The intelligent thing to do is prior to putting your motor on, put the screw in and measure just how much it sticks up through the mount, and then refer to the motor dimension diagram. If it's too long, then grind it or use a washer (since you should be backing most of these screws against washers anyways to spread the load).
May 29, 2015, 06:06 AM
hi
the way I decide what bolt to us is to some degree observation, I look at the motor where the bolt holes are and see how thick the metal is I then put the bolts I have through the arms and choose the ones with the same amount of thread showing as the thickness of the metal is maybe 1 mm longer, if the windings are close and there is no bolt short enough I get out the washers at least on per bolt is a good idea anyway to spread the load.
Use the same principle on the prop mount if there is one finding the metal thickness may be a bit harder so put the bolt through the hole in the prop adapter and make sure there is about 2 mm of thread showing you will find that a standard bolt has about the same amount of thread on it as everyone will say don’t forget the threadlock.
Kendrick
Dec 04, 2016, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R View Post

Finally somebody has the balls to say it how it really is. Thank you. Totally agree.