Dual Transmitter / FPV Goggle Case - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by JulietKiloMike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 09, 2015, 01:01 PM
Build Log

Dual Transmitter / FPV Goggle Case

I got tired of keeping my transmitter in an old tool bag, and with the addition of my new FrSky Taranis I figured a case would be a worthwhile investment. After looking around for a new aluminum FrSky case ($70 shipped ), I realized it would be much more cost effective, and more functional, to make one myself. Many of the cases from Harbor Freight and other vendors look tough, but they're actually made of faux metal panelling. Most of the cases with the "rough" dimpling on the outside are actually just a thin sheet of metal foil on top of corrugated cardboard, so it took some searching to find a truly tough case.

I ended up buying a 18" Black Tactical Weatherproof Equipment Case from MCM Electronics for $19.99 with $8 shipping (I think I got lucky and hit a sale...it looks like the price of the case is now back to $32.99, which is still a great bargain). This case is seriously tough...waterproof, well-made, and it has a great solid feel to it. I think it could take a serious beating, just like the (WAY) more expensive Pelican cases it's modeled after. The 18" version I got can easily fit two transmitters and a few accessories, but MCM also has some smaller / bigger / wider / thinner cases of the same type--I highly recommend all of them! They also look like they'd be great for carrying quadcopters and other small aircraft for travel purposes.

The inside of the case had pick-and-place foam, and after about 15 minutes of laying things out and removing foam chunks, the case was complete. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! I've got two transmitters in it, along with a leatherman and my FPV gear.

I hope this post might be helpful to anyone planning to build one of these or something similar! Let me know what you guys think If you've got any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks this was very helpful.
Oct 06, 2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks hcker2000, I'm glad you got something out of it!

I also used the same model of weatherproof case to build a multi-charging setup, in case that's something you're interested in: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2495472
Oct 06, 2015, 09:32 PM
Nice. I have that same psu and there great
Oct 06, 2015, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcker2000
Nice. I have that same psu and there great
Yeah, I got the PSU used off of RCG for ~$50. Great deal, and lots of power in a small package