This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 07, 2015, 10:17 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The last CRT

It was finally time to tear down this 15 year old beast. It was intended for verifying NTSC compliance, but NTSC was short lived. It was used for maybe an hour upon arrival, in an unsuccessful attempt to receive local TV stations, then was briefly valuable in burning a DVD after 7 years, then never again for 8 years.

The innards are revealed for the 1st time.

After a hosing down, the mane board is revealed.

The CRT thus yields a pile of through hole parts. It was surprising how many parts looked scorched, despite hardly ever being used. It used a soft power button, but must have burned off a ton of energy always being plugged in.

The future will no doubt reveal a host of omitted parts that were truly useful, just as flyback transformers proved useful only after a bunch of CRTs were discarded 10 years ago. Finally found a use for the crusty old Chinese soldering iron. Given enough room to have it on the bench, it makes for real easy desoldering. It's a bench that would almost please Dave Jones.

to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2015, 10:17 AM
Waste Nothing
Jack :

I don't know about how you feel about saving at least 'one' of a last in any given line as with the CRT monitor , but it may prove useful down the road . I was going thru some of my old legacy computer stuff and ran across a box of 1.4 floppies that had family type pix on them . Luckily , I had an old machine with the drive to be able to read these and recover the data ! As for the CRT monitor , I have an old Apple color monitor and a 2+ still in its box . I recently inherited a bunch of color cameras from a parkade / security app and needed a 'composite' color input to verify them . Had the old CRT monitor . IF a guy has the storage room , saving one of the last of a line is not such a bad idea .

Quick Reply