Apr 20, 2016, 08:58 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post
Always had an issue with devices without a real power switch. put something innthere that disconnects the battery from everything. But theses days we have circuits that never really go off... CMOS batteries etc,,,
In this case something that "switches some power" if a button is sensed to be pressed for longer than x...
Since the 90-ies all transmitters with model memories have a soft power switch in parallel to the mechanical switch. The mechanical switch provides initial power to the MPU (through a voltage regulator) and the MPU turns on the soft power switch (a PNP transistor initially, later replaced by a MOSFET). When the mechanical switch is turned off, the soft switch keeps power running to the MPU. The MPU senses the position of the mechanical switch and when it sees it in the OFF position the MPU starts its shutdown subroutine which stores all model data in the non-volatile memory then turns off the soft switch which effectively kills the power to the transmitter.

In the 18MZ and 18SZ the mechanical switch has been removed. The current MPUs are constantly receiving power but when the transmitter is turned off they are in a very low power stand by mode in which they consume micro Amps (or in some cases even nano Amps) which is negligible. Pressing the power button(s) wakes the MPU up, it turns on the soft switch and starts running its normal routines.

Ivan
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2016, 09:30 AM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
In the 18MZ and 18SZ the mechanical switch has been removed. The current MPUs are constantly receiving power but when the transmitter is turned off they are in a very low power stand by mode in which they consume micro Amps (or in some cases even nano Amps) which is negligible. Pressing the power button(s) wakes the MPU up, it turns on the soft switch and starts running its normal routines.

Ivan
Yes I imagined something like that. And I am sure the EE that designed the thing "proved" that the switch will always work. And I am sure too the design was subject to all sorts of testing before it was put on production.
However coming from the an aviation background... I always liked that in an airplane there is always a circuit breaker u can pull in case the electronics act up. Moreover the PA-32 I used to fly had a switch you could reach from below the panel that directly applied power to the avionics bus from the battery in case the normal power sources were acting up.

Call me old fashioned but the last piece of hardware I designed (for work) had a huge flip switch in the front that mechanically cut power

True Story (with multiple witnesses):
A fancy Jeti radio at the club went bananas with a Jet running on the field. Thankfully on the ground. The pilot tried desperately to turn radio off and couldn't do it until they opened the back of the radio and unplugged the battery. All while the radio kept on screaming Nein!, Nein!, Nein!, non stop.
Naturally Jeti replaced the radio after the incident.
Apr 20, 2016, 10:15 AM
Just to set the record strait. I think the Futaba 18sz is a great radio ,and I would like thank all those involved with it Thank you vary much I love it. I,m sure there is a logical reason why it would not turn off. How knows it might be something I did. so I hope smarter people than I will get to the bottom of it.
Apr 20, 2016, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripacheco View Post

True Story (with multiple witnesses):
A fancy Jeti radio at the club went bananas with a Jet running on the field. Thankfully on the ground. The pilot tried desperately to turn radio off and couldn't do it until they opened the back of the radio and unplugged the battery. All while the radio kept on screaming Nein!, Nein!, Nein!, non stop.
Naturally Jeti replaced the radio after the incident.
That's really silly, you can do hard reset if needed. Also we have Volume control, but user has to know. I guess get "simple" futaba and nothing can go wrong, because there is nothing.

Jeti did not replace radio, just did Firmware update (True Story with multiple witnesses).
By the way ALL JETI products are covered 2 year warranty.

Zb/Jeti USA
Apr 20, 2016, 12:56 PM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
That's really silly, you can do hard reset if needed. Also we have Volume control, but user has to know. I guess get "simple" futaba and nothing can go wrong, because there is nothing.

Jeti did not replace radio, just did Firmware update (True Story with multiple witnesses).
By the way ALL JETI products are covered 2 year warranty.

Zb/Jeti USA
True that. radio was fixed
Apr 20, 2016, 02:12 PM
Need help with Futaba T18SZ. Receiver is R7008SB. I have two elevator servos. Connected one to channel 2, one to channel 7. Did all the instructions for prog. mixing, but it still doesn't work.
Can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong?
Apr 20, 2016, 02:30 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drorso View Post
Need help with Futaba T18SZ. Receiver is R7008SB. I have two elevator servos. Connected one to channel 2, one to channel 7. Did all the instructions for prog. mixing, but it still doesn't work.
Can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong?
Go to Linkage->Function.

For channel 2 select Elevator for the function and J2 and T2 (if you fly Mode 2 or J3 and T3 if you fly Mode 1) for the control and trim.

Then go to channel 7 and select Elevator for the function. It would automatically carry over the control and trim.

You are done with channel assignments - if needed reverse channel 2 and/or channel 7 and set the sub-trim and throws (End point) for the channels.

The above will not allow you to do an Ailevator mix though. It is slightly different if you want to do so - let me know if you need it and I'll write it up.

Ivan
Apr 20, 2016, 02:35 PM
You don't use a P-mix for dual elevator servos, that's waaaaay too hard
The simplest method is to go the the function screen and change the function on Ch7 to elevator. You could also go into the tail type to setup elevons, but the function menu is the simplest, since changing tail type will reset any programming you've already done for this model
Pete
Apr 20, 2016, 02:38 PM
Ivan beat me again
I'm glad to hear that you weren't affected by the flooding!
Ailevators...elevons. I can never keep them straight
Pete
Apr 20, 2016, 03:24 PM
S.A.D. member
Ailevators - elevators which also work as ailerons - the plane already has separate ailerons.

Elevons - the ailerons work also as elevators - regardless of whether the plane has separate elevator or not; in most cases used in delta wing planes (the Futabese for it is Fluing Wing) usually without an elevator.

Ivan
Apr 21, 2016, 08:44 AM

It works!

Thank you very much Pete and Ivan. Eventually it was so simple, almost embarrassing.
I have B.Sc. in computer engineering, and i did RTFM, but still... it is not in the F Manual i guess :-)
I also had another problem, the Throttle Cut-off refused to work. it appears that the R7008SB doesn't like analog servos, as the cut-off worked with digital servo.

Thanks again :-)
Apr 21, 2016, 09:46 AM
Bax
Bax
The receiver or servo type have nothing to do with throttle cut. If it's not working right, there's something in the transmitter programming that's not correct.

You need to make sure that the little arrow moves to the desired location when you flip the throttle cut switch. Sometimes, the default position is higher than the stick position when the stick is fully retarded. You can see how it's working when you look at the servo section of either the Linkage or Model menus.
Apr 21, 2016, 09:46 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drorso View Post
Thank you very much Pete and Ivan. Eventually it was so simple, almost embarrassing.
I have B.Sc. in computer engineering, and i did RTFM, but still... it is not in the F Manual i guess :-)
I also had another problem, the Throttle Cut-off refused to work. it appears that the R7008SB doesn't like analog servos, as the cut-off worked with digital servo.

Thanks again :-)
Glad you figured it out!

A couple of points I have on Futaba manuals:

1. They are written in "Futabese" - you need to learn to speak it in order to understand it.

2. The manuals somewhat explain what each parameter in function does but fail to explain what exactly the function does and when and how to use it.

Ivan
Last edited by ivanc; Apr 21, 2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Misspelled Futabese
Apr 21, 2016, 12:14 PM
years ago when the FP-T8UAF came out. I went to the hobby shop and they sold me this book on that radio. I have lost that book so I don,t know how wrote it. that book was sure a lot of help to me. to bad one of you fart smellers can,t write a book on this Futaba 18sz so that us dumb people can understand.
Apr 21, 2016, 01:33 PM
S.A.D. member
Don Edberg?

Quick Reply