May 20, 2017, 09:38 PM
Loki's Minion
OOFA! Sorry to hear that Hoof-man. You'll get it shook out I'm sure. It's part of the fun, as I'm learning the hard way as well.
Latest blog entry: Vuzix iWear
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2017, 11:18 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
The BumbleBee is a wreck. Everything is salvageable, but the frame is toast. So, I've got a replacement ESC for the Scorpion 650, but I think I need a new landing gear support. A shame, really, but my GoPro and T4-3D gimbal are okay. Just the landing gear support arm is broken. Everything else appears to be okay. I might be able to cobble together a repair for that until I receive a new set from Hong Kong.
May 20, 2017, 11:22 PM
Loki's Minion
hmmmm.... bullet connectors for the ESC power couplers won't fit through the motor mounts to allow for the removal of the mounts for installation of clear shrink tube over motor arms.
(I installed these after the mounts were fastened , not thinking about possible future removal. For shame!
) AND, the servo extensions within the arm...... I should have glued these together as I now have a futaba connector in the middle of an arm that cannot be plugged back in !! WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING!

My own R-&-D department needs to leave the fine Puerto Rican rum alone whilst building models.

On a side note, the decals look awesome.
May 20, 2017, 11:25 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Too bad about your connection. That shirt will happen. When you use extensions, it's usually best to either CA them, or remove the connectors, and solder them together. Rest assured, that no matter which choice you make, something will happen that will negate your precautions.

Also, I just found a set of retractable landing gear that I might be able to fit to my Scorpion 650 Y6
May 20, 2017, 11:27 PM
Loki's Minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedHoof
The BumbleBee is a wreck. Everything is salvageable, but the frame is toast. So, I've got a replacement ESC for the Scorpion 650, but I think I need a new landing gear support. A shame, really, but my GoPro and T4-3D gimbal are okay. Just the landing gear support arm is broken. Everything else appears to be okay. I might be able to cobble together a repair for that until I receive a new set from Hong Kong.

It's crunch time Hoof-a-maniac. Let's figure out a fix. I used a Crayola colored pencil to fix a broken landing gear tube 2 weeks ago (same size as ID of CF tube believe it or not). The flight must go on.
May 20, 2017, 11:29 PM
Loki's Minion
good job on the retracts !
May 20, 2017, 11:48 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Nope. This frame was wobbly anyway. Not a solid platform. I have 7 or 8 2814-700kv motors for a new build. They will spin 14x4.8 props, and will do a good 25 minutes with a GoPro, and a 16000mAh 4S battery. I am thinking about selling a few birds, anyway, and buying a Tarot T960 frame. Six of these motors, I have enough ESCs, and everything else I need to make a solid camera platform, so I think I'll do that. The BumbleBee was one of my first builds, anyway, and pretty much everything was replaced, or upgraded. It's a flimsy frame, so it won't be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower669
It's crunch time Hoof-a-maniac. Let's figure out a fix. I used a Crayola colored pencil to fix a broken landing gear tube 2 weeks ago (same size as ID of CF tube believe it or not). The flight must go on.
May 20, 2017, 11:55 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Just did a preliminary estimate at eCalc, and it should be able to do 20-25 minutes flights with the 16000mAh batteries I have. A good build, it will be I've got a nice 2W VTx, the ZYX-M from the BumbleBee, plenty of lighting systems, pretty much everything. I might outfit it with three bladed props, instead of the wooden ones, too. Not sure how many of those I have left, and they're expensive.
May 20, 2017, 11:57 PM
Loki's Minion
Here's the issue with the bullet connectors...

...here I have the LED controller wrapped for mounting..
May 21, 2017, 12:18 AM
Loki's Minion
If it helps you any, I probably have a pile of 12 inch props. Not what you spec'd, but the first crash is free! HA !
May 21, 2017, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Issues with the ZYX-BD? Not that I'm aware of. If you're going to update to the 1.4 firmware NOT the 1.04 firmware - pay close attention, then you really should get yourself the v1.2 GPS puck with the Neo M8N inside. It will also work with a V1.1 GPS puck (with the Neo M7N), but only after updating to the latest GPS firmware.

According to your needs that you listed, you can upgrade to 1.04 firmware, and get all of those. The 1.4 frimware will give you addiitonal functionality, like waypoints, follow me, etc. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the functionality of the 1.04 firmware, before you delve into that, however. The T4-3D gimbal, for the GoPro, also works with this. You will still need to map controls to your receiver to control the gimbal. The connection of the gimbal to the FC only makes the gimbal more stable.

http://tarotrc.com/Download/Detail.a...d-80cbe9840ac6

Choose the older version to upgrade to the 1.04 firmware. Choose the newer version to download the latest version of the software & firmware, but listen to what I already suggested above.
That's great thankyou. Will get it built as soon as the wife allows lol
May 22, 2017, 04:37 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Has anyone every tried using different motors, with identical kv, almost identical power output (20 watts different - 340W vs 360W), and an identical number of windings, on the same aircraft?

I only ask because my new build was one motor short of the needed six, so I ordered a pair of near identical spec motors to complete the build. My engineering spidey sense thinks it will be fine.
May 23, 2017, 11:34 AM
OldOne FA3ALN7XX9
Quote:
Thank you!
A few online orders have yielded 'copper foil tape' that was really copper leaf on a roll. My local supplier, A & S Music, also repair instruments and Amps and rarely has extra to sell. Though when I get in a pinch repairing a Laptop, PSx, lcd monitor, XBOX, etc. they always come through even when it shorts their own supply. I have in the past used real copper window screen.

Sorry about you MRs. Consider them offerings to the Gods of Multirotor craft

Someone mentioned using a colored pencil in a CF tube to repair a broken landing strut. You should have posted that sooner! I used a broken metal jewelers screwdriver to patch mine together. The pencil is a MUCH better option. I have even cut off the heads of screws and used them. But the added weight really does mess with my COG.
May 23, 2017, 11:57 AM
Obi Wan Macaroni
I actually used some two-part epoxy to repair the landing gear support, and replaced the bad ESC, and she's air-worthy once more. I've ordered a Tarot FY680 hex frame to replace the BumbleBee disaster, and some more motors. I have enough motors, and ESCs for another quad build, also, so maybe I'll build an Ironman frame, to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthislove67
Someone mentioned using a colored pencil in a CF tube to repair a broken landing strut. You should have posted that sooner! I used a broken metal jewelers screwdriver to patch mine together. The pencil is a MUCH better option. I have even cut off the heads of screws and used them. But the added weight really does mess with my COG.
May 26, 2017, 02:24 PM
Loki's Minion
... I need the connection cables for the zyx-m osd unit. The video ones, and the Y cable. Anyone have an idea where to get them individually?

Quick Reply