Apr 29, 2017, 06:47 PM
want to fly the big one please
Quote:
Originally Posted by losthislove67

In a PM someone suggested a simple wooden box attached behind the sissy seat. It would have to have braces to handle the bounces.
that sounds like a good idea.
Or maybe some kind of a rack attached to the backrest
imo, a complete wooden box to fit a 1000 might be pretty heavy and catch wind
if you can deal with the unit being in the wind a little then a rack could save weight and not catch the wind as much and give a better ride
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2017, 12:47 AM
Holy fireworks batman! look at the pretty magic smoke, doesn't it smell great!

just plugged in a new 6S-6000mah lipo on the Daya550 with the ZYX-M in the driveway to give the batt a maiden test, and BBbbzzziiRrrkK-POW!
have no idea why, but acted like reverse pole connection, but it was not malconnected
so far tarot bec is fried and that's all I can find. No shorts to be found yet, complete mystery at this point.
Can the PMU just fry and ground out like that??

.................dammit Chewy! i should have fixed the hyper-drive myself!
Last edited by psychlic; Apr 30, 2017 at 02:59 AM.
Apr 30, 2017, 12:52 AM
was really weird because after the pow and the connecter welded together, the ESCs' were just beeping from no communication with FC, because offcourse with a blown bec the would be no power to FC
Apr 30, 2017, 03:51 AM
update, the PMU is not toast it is putting out 5V & 12V. It appears that the FC is toasted.
using external bec for rx, and power leads for PMU are connected straight to batt, there is no LEDs light up for FC
When connected to computer it will connect to GUI (still no LED), and it does show my settings
but only the gyro/ acc are registering, no radio link

so weird, BUT I had been fiddling with things before incident
must have barfed it up somehow
man this sucks, just when things were starting to shape up and get some confidence with it, new batt, mobius fpv hooked-up, telemetry working, ordering a BTM, this happens.
I do like this FC, and am sure it was my fault, or a cracked frame, but it is strange how the BEC is ok, but the FC is fried

I will tear it down and open up the ZYX to see what looks bad
and am pretty sure I will get another one
but in the mean time, I will borrow the Naza from the F450 and put it in the D-550, BUT this time with a separate PDB, no more integrated pdb for this boy, regardless if it failed or not, just one less thing to worry about imo, separate pdb is more reliable
and change the 450 back into a low profile sport flyer like it started out, with a KK2 board or maybe a Naze32 or cc3d laying around..............damn just when you think you are getting caught up, 2 steps back.........
Last edited by psychlic; Apr 30, 2017 at 04:08 AM.
Apr 30, 2017, 05:59 AM
Loki's Minion
Oofa! Is the bat. definitely toast?
Latest blog entry: Vuzix iWear
Apr 30, 2017, 09:26 AM
Obi Wan Macaroni
I generally use the balance connector to power the PMU, which was the one time I smoked a PMU, when I connected it backwards. I decided to power my micro Y6 with a UBEC, and I use the regular power connection on that one, and the balance connector to power the Video Tx. But the PMU that I smoked did not damage anything upstream of it.

BTW, you can get another PMU at http://www.flyingtech.co.uk
Last edited by NakedHoof; Apr 30, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
Apr 30, 2017, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower669
Oofa! Is the bat. definitely toast?
Lol, yup Oofa! the batt is ok, no puff, just needs new connector
was weird because it was not a full blown batt shorting. My fingers have felt that with 6S before, no feely so nice, barbecue flesh!
more like a smaller zap-arcing at batt connecting, and then pow when it stuck together, then once the FC fried, no more grounding, just ESCs' chirping from no signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedHoof
I generally use the balance connector to power the PMU, which was the one time I smoked a PMU, when I connected it backwards. I decided to power my micro Y6 with a UBEC, and I use the regular power connection on that one, and the balance connector to power the Video Tx. But the PMU that I smoked did not damage anything upstream of it.

BTW, you can get another PMU at http://www.flyingtech.co.uk
thanks for the link. If the FC was still good and PMU bad, I would just try and use a standard UBEC because I have radio telemetry for batt. But alas, the FC left the show

I cracked open the ZYX but did not completely separate case halves, being joined joined together with foam and baro mechanism. This fc does not open easily, but i did not see anything burnt, just burnt odor.
the PMU seems to be working, except the 5V LED indicator does not light up. The pmu is still putting out 5V/12V on multimeter, but when plugged it into ZYX, nothing. Plug ZYX usb into computer, only gyro/acc figures active, and last settings, but no communication.

the culprit could have been a snake bit + ESC lead that may have been pinched against frame when arm was unfolded. Other signs of gremlin works- arcing and Vbatt connection @RX port (- pin) for telemetry.

strangre that only the FC is toast and PMU ok??

anyway,this FC kit is toast, need to replace it
will try and order a ZYX kit that already has the upgrade puck, even though the stock puck worked well.
just interested to see the difference between stock and upgrade puck
mean time, I'm stelling a Naza from another bird installing it in this 550

already have the new pdb installed.
This should help keep the wires more tidy to prevent future pinching, and easier servicing
and beef up the power supply system.
Apr 30, 2017, 09:11 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
You do know that carbon fiber conducts electricity, yes? Always use some electrical tape, or some liquid electrical tape between the PDB, and the carbon fiber plate. Regular electrical tape works best, as it's easy to remove, and to fix cold solder joints. Probably what happened is that a short between the plate and one of those wires, or solder joints, briefly connected, and sent voltage back through one of the ESC cables. So the fry would have happened at that end. It's likely that is why the PMU was not damaged.
Apr 30, 2017, 10:23 PM
yes offcourse, the incident happened when I was hooked up using the integrated PDB
this wire setup in photo is new just added the separate PDB, in progress, still working on wires and swapping out the zyx. sorry for confusion

I think the pinched wire happened a while back with a screw driver during repair, because there is no sign of arcing at the tear. I am pretty sure it was done while servicing a while back
I routed the wires as to not be in path of arm and clips.so who knows what caused the short really, very strange.

am using nylon stand-offs for this new pdb, and I usually finish up all exposed joints with either, liquid elec. tape or hot-glue, and a layer of mu-metal if needed.
Last edited by psychlic; Apr 30, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
Apr 30, 2017, 10:59 PM
hhhmmm, just noticed that the ZYX-M main controller is sold separately.
I would just go that route is I knew the LED and puck were ok

do you guys think puck would have been damage by the FC blowout?
May 01, 2017, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic
hhhmmm, just noticed that the ZYX-M main controller is sold separately.
I would just go that route is I knew the LED and puck were ok

do you guys think puck would have been damage by the FC blowout?
Hi
have you checked the voltage output (+5v) from the PMU when it is connected to the FC?
It may show 5v when not connected and checked with a DVM (which is high impedance) but may not be providing power when it is connected to the load of the FC
Cheers
Steve
May 01, 2017, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevietee10
Hi
have you checked the voltage output (+5v) from the PMU when it is connected to the FC?
It may show 5v when not connected and checked with a DVM (which is high impedance) but may not be providing power when it is connected to the load of the FC
Cheers
Steve
No I have not Steve, but I was wondering about that
I did hook up a universal bec and still no response. The FC should still light up with positive and negative input without signal wire right, just no vBatt features??

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that test anyway, but with no response with other bec, I think the FC is cooked.
May 01, 2017, 12:04 PM
Zero Cash Money
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevietee10
Hi
Cheers
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic
No I have not Steve, but I was wondering about that
I did hook up a universal bec and still no response. The FC should still light up with positive and negative input without signal wire right, just no vBatt features??

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try that test anyway, but with no response with other bec, I think the FC is cooked.
I agree.... seems wrong that the 5 volt LED is out but you detect 5 volts.

The other thing is I always have to have the battery connected and power going to the FC to be able to connect to the computer!
If you do have power connected and connected to the computer and you are reading some of the settings, this is might indicate you are not getting a full 5 volts.

The other question is WHY are you using a separate 5 volt BEC for the radio rx unit? the 3 wire cable between the FC and RX will provide 5 volts to the RX unit. Adding a 5 volt BEC for the RX is just adding another failure point to the craft!
I would purchase a whole new FC kit... I would not TRUST any of the components now that you let the MAGIC blue smoke out!!

Also I purchased a new battery way back when... and they soldered the wires to the wrong side of the plug... when I tried to charge the battery, the charger told me I connected it up wrong... 5 minutes scratching my head, I saw the red and black wires were not matching... so from then on I use a volt meter and check new batteries when I get them!!!
May 01, 2017, 12:07 PM
Loki's Minion
Also, as someone else stated,there aren't any lights on the fc... (that you can see with the covers on anyway). And as Dale states,at this point trust is an issue.
May 01, 2017, 12:09 PM
Loki's Minion
I remove all hot wires from all Rx connections as the pmu takes care of that anyway. (Just in case)

Quick Reply