Apr 07, 2017, 10:12 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
I'm talking about just the modules, not the complete units, with antenna. You could desolder the ones in there, and replace it with the M8N - they are pin compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic
the ones on ebay are $41 free ship, but not sure if they are same as on the site, backwards compatable

I know that the Ublox M8N for the Nazas come in a couple varieties, some black and some white (maybe V1 & V2??), and the boards are different
the white version has the white wire disconnected from board for some reason, reportedly that is how they are and they work, and the shape/color of the board is different form the black, but they are both called M8N
see post #341 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Thread/page23

that would be great if the old pucks can be upgrade to M8N with just firmware if I understand u correctly!!
hope you are successful, then maybe the Naza pucks could be upgraded too???
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2017, 10:13 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Not so, I still can get samples from almost all major chip manufacturers. There are a few that charge for shipping, but still will sample if you've the right credentials. I've also developed a rapport with a lot of the sales engineers, and can usually get what I need through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthislove67
Most major IC manufactures will no longer sample out free one time chips, but TI still did a few years ago. They want you to buy a kit now. I was going through a box the other day and found my SK & NTE cross reference books.
Apr 07, 2017, 10:16 PM
want to fly the big one please
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedHoof
I'm talking about just the modules, not the complete units, with antenna. You could desolder the ones in there, and replace it with the M8N - they are pin compatible.
oh ok. That would still be a good thing if it is economical!
but $65+ for module is more than just buying one complete
and what would be the benefit of it being backwards compatible?
anyway hope it works!
Apr 07, 2017, 10:22 PM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Backwards compatibility means it is pin compatible. So desoldering a module, and replacing it with the upgraded unit would give enhanced functionality, without a redesign of the support components. Upgrading the firmware on the microcontroller within the GPS puck would still be available, and may recognize the new module, and give additional features (possibly). No way to really tell without actually doing the swap. I'll see if I can negotiate with them for at least a no cost module, if not a reduced cost dev kit, or a loaner (sometimes the loaner is never asked to be returned)

Quote:
oh ok. That would still be a good thing if it is economical!
but $65 for module is more than just buying one complete, and what would be the benefit of it being backwards compatible?
anyway hope it works!
Apr 08, 2017, 06:12 AM
Flip on Tech
Quote:
does anyone know of a seller that has the ZYX-M kit with the new M8N puck??
some of the Naza sellers have them
Have you tried contacting https://tarot-rc-heli.com/Tarot-RC-M...product_id=642 . They're in your neck of the woods.
Apr 08, 2017, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollys
Have you tried contacting https://tarot-rc-heli.com/Tarot-RC-M...product_id=642 . They're in your neck of the woods.
no, but usually it is so difficult to get tarot to respond
is this site a Tarot site or another seller using the name?
Apr 08, 2017, 12:06 PM
Zero Cash Money
Quote:
no, but usually it is so difficult to get tarot to respond
is this site a Tarot site or another seller using the name?
This site is in San Diego, he is part owner of Tarot, his name is Dave.
He is a good guy, tho he has had his share of problems with Tarot.
BUT he will respond to questions, tho sometimes he can not get an answer out of Tarot.
He will stand behind any warranty problems!
Apr 08, 2017, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Dale
This site is in San Diego, he is part owner of Tarot, his name is Dave.
He is a good guy, tho he has had his share of problems with Tarot.
BUT he will respond to questions, tho sometimes he can not get an answer out of Tarot.
He will stand behind any warranty problems!

Thank u very much for this info DD!!
I have been avoiding that site because I assumed it was Tarot factory outlet or something
that is great that he is in cali, MAN wish I knew this a while ago
Apr 08, 2017, 06:21 PM
Loki's Minion
Well I did a flight test today after replacing the GPS puck and everything fell right in line. Sat lock in under 12 seconds and takeoff was smooth as butter on a hot roll.

I realized a full 15 minutes of flight after takeoff with the stabilized gimbal plugged into the PMU and powered by the main battery, which I have never done before. (I usually use a separate 2s for this)

During the flight I cycled the gear 4 or 5 times and completed 7 full throttle climbs and descents to max altitude of 62 meters ( around 200 ft. for testing purposes) I also did several 360 deg. yaw rotations and different variations of that axis along with a dozen or so starboard and port max stick maneuvers covering a 30 foot line on the ground.

So far so good. It oscillated a bit during GPS pos. hold but was steady freddy while in ATT mode and would drift in the direction of the light breeze. Landing was done manually and was a snap. I like the intelligent cut off after landing with the ZYX-M flight controller.

Air temperature here is about 55 degrees and after the flight the motors were cool to the touch. The ESC's were warm to the touch but I believe this is normal (although I wouldn't know as they were inaccessible in the FORM 500 after flight)

I'll begin to mess with the gains a bit now and see if I can hunt down why she is oscillating a little with GPS VELOCITY enabled.

Also, thanks Dale, I used that website to order a canopy for the 650 sport I am in the process of...
Latest blog entry: Vuzix iWear
Apr 09, 2017, 08:48 AM
Loki's Minion
hmmm. can't find the intelligent landing gear toggle in the assistant software, anywhere??

any ideas?
Apr 09, 2017, 09:27 AM
Obi Wan Macaroni
It's been removed in the latest revision of the assistant software. It never seems to have worked correctly, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower669
hmmm. can't find the intelligent landing gear toggle in the assistant software, anywhere??

any ideas?
Apr 09, 2017, 09:33 AM
Loki's Minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedHoof
It's been removed in the latest revision of the assistant software. It never seems to have worked correctly, anyway.
fair enough, but it sure would be nice to have that receiver channel back. I am currently fighting a hover oscillation while in GPS VEL mode. Not sure if gains are too high or low.
Apr 09, 2017, 09:59 AM
Obi Wan Macaroni
I have 16 channels on all of my X8R birds. I haven't yet run out, even with 4 channels dedicated to my Tarot 5D3 professional gimbal. What transmitter are you using again?

Edit: I noticed that there was a screw missing on that GPS puck, although the other two were in firmly. Perhaps a small amount of double sided tape inside to keep it from bouncing about would help? I think that might be the problem. Also, I have found few GPS mounting systems that are 100% stiff. I have found one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Secraft-GPS-...i:252834914082

Quote:
fair enough, but it sure would be nice to have that receiver channel back. I am currently fighting a hover oscillation while in GPS VEL mode. Not sure if gains are too high or low.
Last edited by NakedHoof; Apr 09, 2017 at 10:04 AM.
Apr 09, 2017, 10:01 AM
Loki's Minion
it is the original tactic 8ch that came with the form 500. I know, I know.... LOL

Apr 09, 2017, 10:07 AM
Obi Wan Macaroni
Check my edit on the last post. That might also help.

You might also consider getting the Taranis Q X7:

http://www.banggood.com/FrSky-ACCST-...l?rmmds=search

Quote:
it is the original tactic 8ch that came with the form 500. I know, I know.... LOL

Quick Reply