Thread Tools
May 05, 2015, 06:55 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Rant

So I'm minding my own business, flying a drone....


And someone calls in that there is a man in a field waving a gun. The cops show up and put me at gun point, and I pop for a warrant on a ticket I paid two years ago. Didn't see my night ending like it did. I was disrespected for three hours by every officer I encountered, and my girlfriend was forced into buying a bond on $250. Absolutely horrible night all for someone who didn't like me flying a drone so they called in a fake gun threat.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2015, 07:45 AM
Registered User
PatR's Avatar
Don't know where you are but most places have laws against a false police report or false charges. You might consider talking to an attorney about the person making the call.
May 05, 2015, 08:36 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
Don't know where you are but most places have laws against a false police report or false charges. You might consider talking to an attorney about the person making the call.
Police will not give up the callers information for their protection.
May 05, 2015, 08:47 AM
Registered User
PatR's Avatar
Again, consider conferring with an attorney. Courts have a way of leveraging police departments and it requires an attorney to initiate the process.
May 05, 2015, 09:43 AM
Registered User
dentalpain's Avatar
Did the police confirm the call was for a man with a gun...or are you assuming?
May 05, 2015, 09:48 AM
Critic at Large
craigiri's Avatar
Somehow the word has gotten out big time about guns, drones and arrests.

One neighbor driving by yesterday said "don't worry, I won't shoot it down" and another asked if I was worried about getting arrested.

Both of them are friendly neighbors.
May 05, 2015, 09:57 AM
Registered User
I am not a lawyer but if you didn't commit any crime and if they had no reasonable suspicion that you had committed a crime (that is, they got there and clearly could see you weren't waving a gun around) then you were under no obligation to identify yourself. (I'm assuming they found the old warrant because you gave them ID and ran your info.)
May 05, 2015, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
Again, consider conferring with an attorney. Courts have a way of leveraging police departments and it requires an attorney to initiate the process.



An attorney is definitely getting called you on this, I've got three separate angles: paid ticket that warrant was released for, obvious false police report, and my girlfriend being coerced into paying $100 to a bail bondsman for a $250 bond.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain
Did the police confirm the call was for a man with a gun...or are you assuming?

After I was searched for the weapon that I did not have they cuffed me and explained why they were there, which was the report of a man in the field waving a gun and pointing it at people.




Quote:
Originally Posted by learningrc
I am not a lawyer but if you didn't commit any crime and if they had no reasonable suspicion that you had committed a crime (that is, they got there and clearly could see you weren't waving a gun around) then you were under no obligation to identify yourself. (I'm assuming they found the old warrant because you gave them ID and ran your info.)
When their SUV first pulled into the field I darted back into the trees to hide the drone as I didn't want any confrontation from whoever was obviously driving toward me. I didn't realize they were officers until they hit the lights and ordered me back into the field which was where the gun was in my face. Kind of understandable, but after an event like that I'm not sure how I could have refused to identify myself. Regardless, I had been flying in that field for over an hour, retrieving crashes and relaunching. If someone was close enough to see the object I'm not sure how they couldn't see it flying as well.
May 05, 2015, 12:33 PM
Registered User
dentalpain's Avatar
But you were in someone else field (trespassing?)...flying a drone over someone else's property (not illegal). Correct?
May 05, 2015, 12:40 PM
Phantom 3P, Inspire 1, P4
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningrc
I am not a lawyer but if you didn't commit any crime and if they had no reasonable suspicion that you had committed a crime (that is, they got there and clearly could see you weren't waving a gun around) then you were under no obligation to identify yourself. (I'm assuming they found the old warrant because you gave them ID and ran your info.)
Yep if he didn't do anything wrong he was not obligated to answer any questions nor produce an ID. The cops use this trick all the time (we got a call..) and basically allow the person to themselves into getting arrested. I would get the police report and see what was filed.
May 05, 2015, 01:08 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain
But you were in someone else field (trespassing?)...flying a drone over someone else's property (not illegal). Correct?
The field is a vacant 5 acre lot that I do not own and backs up to my backyard. I don't fly over anyone else's property besides this field.
May 05, 2015, 01:11 PM
Registered User
norfolkngood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughglass1780
When their SUV first pulled into the field I darted back into the trees to hide the drone as I didn't want any confrontation from whoever was obviously driving toward me. I didn't realize they were officers until they hit the lights and ordered me back into the field which was where the gun was in my face. Kind of understandable, but after an event like that I'm not sure how I could have refused to identify myself.
So.....
Police get called to investigate "man with gun" (not that you would have known this fact). Rightly or wrongly, gun or not, theyre doing their job from the information they received.
As they arrive they see someone run off to stash 'something' in the trees....
As the someone doesn't want to come back out & to them it's still a firearms incident can you blame them for hitting the floodlights & drawing a sidearm?

Didn't really get off to the best start there I think.

If you'd grabbed the quad & headed straight over for a chat when they arrived (police or not) you'd probably have saved a lot of grief.
It's a toy copter for Christ's sake!
May 05, 2015, 01:11 PM
Registered User
PatR's Avatar
Running away was not a good move.
May 05, 2015, 01:23 PM
Registered User
It dosent matter what the law is, these cops are out of control now a days. Doing something stupid like refusing to show ID because you dint do nothing wrong... That would really esclade things quickly to a nice beting, and geting tased.
May 05, 2015, 02:19 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Yes running was definitely a bad move, I guess its just bad instinct. With that in mind I completely understand why they did what they did, there was an unknown situation and they had to be cautious. However once the situation was known they continued to treat me like the criminal they were just drooling to shoot.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools