Jun 14, 2004, 07:27 AM
very nice! Where did the c of g end up on that?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2004, 10:38 AM
Thread OP

cg

Dammit- the cg was found with the "half span, 25-30% of the chord" rule. that gave me a good starting point. As of this moment, I haven't had a chance to actually measure it.

Robb
Jun 14, 2004, 12:26 PM
Thread OP

Bits and pieces

Here's another small chunk of video, sorry for the bits and pieces. I'm going to piece the bits together tonight into a full length feature.

http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8487
Jun 14, 2004, 12:40 PM
Arizona Rim Country

OK, another question

How is the wing constructed ? Is it single or double ply FFF ? I know on some of your other designs you've done a single ply and then put a little roll on the leading edge. How 'bout this one ?

Thanks !

Paul
Jun 14, 2004, 12:54 PM
Thread OP

Wing

Paul- This wing is just like all my other wings. I start out with a flat sheet of foam and peel the paper off the side with the writing on it to give me a nice blue outer surface with skin intact to give it strength. This particular wing started out as a 11x22" sheet, then I mark the upper center of the long side. Then from the top center mark, draw a straight line down to the lower opposite corner. This is now the folding line. I don't score the foam before folding, it seems to be stronger that way. Before folding, I put a strip of packing tape on the opposite side that still has the skin along the fold line. This keeps the skin from splitting when I fold it. The two top corners bend down to meet at the center and I lay a couple of strips of tape across them. Then I pin the trailing edge together about every 3" to hold it together and squirt hot glue into the spaces in between the tape and squeeze it together. Sometimes there's a gap in the center if I don't fold it just right, Then I just fit a foam spacer in between the two. as long as there's a tight fit, the wing will be very stiff with no need for a spar. The biggest wing I have with this construction and no spar is about 42" wingspan. It is still very stiff. this folding gives you a more symmetrical than semi-symmetrical airfoil, depending on how you fold it. gotta go back to work now.

Robb
Jun 14, 2004, 01:16 PM
Arizona Rim Country

Thanks a Ton, Robb !

A friend of mine and I are working on a Delta type wing, too, at this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...99#post2274899

The first one we folded under about 3 inches of leading edge similar to what you do, but we didn't put in the spacer you've mentioned.

The second one we made a " Delta-ized" type Zagnutz.

Both are working well, but if they each fly about the same no point in spending time working in the airfoil.

I appreciate you giving us the details on your wing construction. I'll build #3 Delta using your method. We'll scale them all to the same wing area and see how they compare.

Thanks Again !

Paul
Jun 14, 2004, 05:47 PM
Thread OP

anytime

Paul- Glad I could help with your wing building. So far this is the best method I've found for building wings. You can make a small or large wing with an airfoil to increase lifting efficiency, and your making the wing without making any cuts in the foam. Very strong, the wing on my Insulator feels like it has three spars in it.
Jun 15, 2004, 06:58 AM
Thread OP

video woes

Okay, I pieced the video together and it ended up being a 19 MB zipped file. A little too big for the Gallery. Any Ideas on where I can Upload it?

Robb
Jun 15, 2004, 07:09 AM
Do you have plans available?
Jun 15, 2004, 07:12 AM
Thread OP

Nope

Bill- Sorry, no plans as of now. possibly in the future. If that happens, I'll be sure to post them here. Thanks for looking.

Robb
Jun 15, 2004, 07:16 AM
Will it fly slow or does it fly well only fast?
Jun 15, 2004, 07:27 AM
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. What prop and battery did you use. Also is the wing a single layer of fan fold? Did you use a GoBrushless kit? If so did you use the standard bearing sleeve or make your own with the high speed bearings? RCNutt
Jun 15, 2004, 12:39 PM
Thread OP

Bill- It has a very wide speed range, it will cruise around pretty slowly, considering the type of plane it is.

RCNutt- the battery is a Apogee 830 2 cell. I sure am itching to try a three cell, though. Prop is a 3030 GWS direct drive prop drilled out to 3mm to press onto the motor shaft. and the motor was built by myself from a dead CD drive. I studied up on all the hundreds of CDrom motor threads, man there's alot of them! The motor has an oddball size bushing, 3x5mm, so I can't find a bearing that'll fit. The wing contruction is explained in detail on this very thread, post 20. Thanks for looking.
Jun 15, 2004, 01:00 PM
blueman, I sent you an email.
Jun 16, 2004, 05:24 AM
is that a car crash sound i heard in the background audio,,,in the video??

Quick Reply