Wattage WindCruiser Mods-Now it flies! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 14, 2002, 10:54 AM

Wattage WindCruiser Mods-Now it flies!

I bought the Wattage WindCruiser realizing that it would probably fly much the same as the Firebird XL (both 2 channel), but because it wasn't a pusher, I would probably break more props. I was right on one count and wrong on the other.

It doesn't fly anywhere near as well as the XL setup stock. It won't climb worth a damn, which I attributed to the "cheapo" prop, and it has an annoying tendancy to porpoise (a problem with no elevator). I was, however, right about the prop. I tried two landings and broke two props. Without an elevator to flair the plane, the props are going to suffer.

So - I went to work. I removed the receiver and the servo and installed a Hitec feather receiver, and 2 Hitec HS 55 servos. Both were an easy fit since the WindCruiser is ready to accept two servos and a feather receiver. My Hitec focus III TX has a mixer - so - after hooking up the two V-tail flaps I was almost ready. I used the Firebird XL battery pack - 6 cell, 900 mah NiMh. I installed a Graupner 6x3 folder on the nose, a 3/16th" shim under the trailing wing edge to eliminate the porpoising - and now I was ready.

My first flight was more than I had hoped for! Wind was about 5 mph. The plane climbed steadily with authority to several hundred feet. I throttled back and flew mostly at 3/4 to 1/2 throttle for 18 minutes. The landing was perfect - the flair was what I needed to save the prop.

It ain't a Tipsy, but it really did fly almost as well - a bit faster than the Tipsy, but stable and responsive. With the nylon fuselage and tough, skin covered foam wings and tail, it will take more abuse than the Tipsy. I expect to fly this plane a good bit.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2002, 09:30 PM

WIND CRUISER

Wow !!!. It sounds like you did alot of workto that plane .Then again ,I am just a nubee.
Mar 22, 2002, 04:04 PM
I flew one for awhile and I thought it flew great. I landed on grass and never had a problem breaking props. It would climb nicely, and was pretty fast as well.

Todd