Jun 11, 2004, 06:24 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Thread OP

Comet Sparky, double size.

I love this airplane. Had it flying for a couple years now. Specs. and the build on my web page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7oqj1/index.html

Fred
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2004, 08:07 PM
Beautiful! That looks great! I've been contemplating somthing similar for gas (PeeWee .020), though not double size. Glad to hear that it flies well.

Derek
Jun 11, 2004, 09:31 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Looks real nice Fred. I was also checking out your Quaker.
Why do I get the message "Locked" when I try to view some of the photos on your website?
Jun 11, 2004, 10:36 PM
Man I love this airplane. Read the first piece on it about 20 yrs ago. I've always wanted to build one. Don S. wrote the review, very attractive design, much like the ff rubber band designs. Did you use paper and dope or monokote type film. Again hats off to you.
Jun 11, 2004, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Gerald,.. Ooh,.... I don't know. I got that messsage once myself but thought it was a qwerk. I'll investigate it further. Thanks for the tip off.

Fred
Jun 11, 2004, 11:24 PM
Thread OP
I just went through all pics and they all worked except one Olly II picture, which I fixed. If you still have trouble let me know. I'm not a real smart web person, but I get by. It helps to get feedback.

Fred
Jun 13, 2004, 11:24 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
OK, it's working better now. That covering job sure looks purdy in some of the close-up shots of the Sparky .
Jun 14, 2004, 01:21 AM
Great looking Sparky. I built several of them when I was a boy. The local food stores in Omaha had them in stock along with all the other Comet kits. I never had much money then but could trade in a few pop bottles for the 50 cent price tax. One silver tube of glue free with each kit. Removed part of the nose on one of my worn out Sparkys and bolted on a little gas engine someone gave me. Flew wonderful the first time. Just luck. Hand launched from a football field. Had to chase it several blocks and retrieve it from a rooftop. Great times. Oh yeah, the engine was a K&B Infant.
Jun 27, 2004, 08:08 PM
What a beatiful model!
The Sparky has been a favorite of mine for some time. It is on my to build list!

Robert
Jun 27, 2004, 08:21 PM
B for Bruce
A few of us are still keeping the magic going. Check out this GROUP BUILD THREAD

Ragwing, for an 020 I'd suggest a span of 36 to 40 inch span and a shorter nose by one bay. You'll want to have about 200 sq inches in any case.
Jul 17, 2004, 11:58 PM
Makes me want to pull one of my old Comet kits out of storage. I have a couple copies of old Model Builder articles showing various cycles in the designs history for SAM authenticity.
Sep 25, 2004, 01:10 PM
Balsa Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
What a beatiful model!
The Sparky has been a favorite of mine for some time. It is on my to build list!

Robert
Just made it to the top of mine ! Thinking back on it, over the last 45 years it seems like I've always had a "Sparky" around. First built the double-size electric five years ago...and now its time for a replacement. Gotta love ordering online:

Thia silks for five yards of 6mm (021g) 45" wide silk
AMA plans + reprint of the original article
Balsa USA for a mess of sticks and sheets.

Assuming hurricane Jeanne leaves the roof on my modest domicile, I'll be building this one pretty much like my 'old reliable' extending the span by one rib bay in the center for a 74 inch span. This time around I'm going to be using 1/4 square sticks to make the fuselage a little more robust. And (what a travesty for a balsa and silk airplane !) I'm going to try and build the landing gear leg using 3/16th carbon fiber tubing sheathed in a 1/4 aluminum tube. Landing on anything other than glass-slick concrete or asphalt the music wire legs on the original bent and twanged and tossed the 'Sparky' everywhere !
Oct 22, 2004, 06:42 PM
What power line?

Comet Sparky

I just built one. I've had it around in the box forever, and just finished construction. It's rubber power, about 24 " wing, and I'm thinking of converting to electric and, as long as I've got a battery on board, put in a radio and at least a rudder. Used paper to cover it.

Quick Reply