Jul 21, 2019, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryshocc
How heavy is your engine? Mine: O.S. 75AX weighs 26.46 ounces with muffler. Where did you end up installing your battery pack? What battery pack did you install? My battery pack: Tenergy NiMH Receiver RX Battery 6V 2000mAh

https://www.rcgfusa.com/product/rcgf-15cc-se/

No clue what it weighs..... I'm running 2 1500 A123 packs. They are both at the back of the removable hatch
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard
https://www.rcgfusa.com/product/rcgf-15cc-se/

No clue what it weighs..... I'm running 2 1500 A123 packs. They are both at the back of the removable hatch
It appears that your engine weighs: 1.69 lbs. I used google to convert it to oz. This is what google says it is: 27.04 oz. Not that much heavier then my glow engine.

It seems like there is something inside of the airplane that is shifting around. I can't get it to balance. If I shake the model forward, it balances. But If I shake it backwards, it becomes tail heavy. I know my stuff is all secured and isn't moving.
Jul 22, 2019, 05:51 PM
Quote:
It appears that your engine weighs: 1.69 lbs. I used google to convert it to oz. This is what google says it is: 27.04 oz. Not that much heavier then my glow engine.

It seems like there is something inside of the airplane that is shifting around. I can't get it to balance. If I shake the model forward, it balances. But If I shake it backwards, it becomes tail heavy. I know my stuff is all secured and isn't moving.

Thats just wierd.... The only place it could be would be the fuselage get a mirror and look...
Are you putting it on the cg machine upright or upside down? Low wing you want it upside down or it will be way to sensative...
Jul 22, 2019, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Thats just wierd.... The only place it could be would be the fuselage get a mirror and look...
Are you putting it on the cg machine upright or upside down? Low wing you want it upside down or it will be way to sensative...
I put it on a great planes CG machine upside down. Is it ok that I had to widen the CG machine beyond the wing struts?
Jul 23, 2019, 06:12 AM
Quote:
I put it on a great planes CG machine upside down. Is it ok that I had to widen the CG machine beyond the wing struts?

that should not really matter the ryan wing is pretty flat..
Jul 23, 2019, 06:22 AM
Quote:
that should not really matter the ryan wing is pretty flat..
The last Ryan I built was last Summer. (2018) I remember struggling to figure out how to balance the plane, because the wing struts are in the way of the CG Machine and in the way of my fingers. But I got it done and that plane flew great for 5 flights before it crashed. This model is strange because it's the exact same one and yet the balance is completely different. My battery pack (same one that was in the other plane) needs to be put up in the nose. My original Ryan, I had to put the Battery in the tail. That alone is weird! I'm going to try and get a mirror and see if I can see anything. But I"m afraid that whatever is causing me trouble is all the at the end of the tail, inside. I didn't drop anything inside, so it has to be something that the manufacture left in there.
Aug 06, 2019, 11:12 AM
This thread reminds me of my struggles getting an electric powered Maxford Gee Bee Model E to fly reasonably well. Model is mostly a hangar queen. Surviving a landing without landing gear or ring cowl/motor mount damage is always a matter of luck. Main problem was washout in one wing panel that required remounting that panel to compensate, couldn't adjust washout with heat due to carbon fiber leading edge and spars. Tip: use blue thread locker on BL motor X-mount screws and any other that may loosen. Good luck with any model with landing gear fairings and wheel pants . I wonder about practicality, quality and consistency of large ply/balsa ARF models in general .

Tip: If practical fly maiden/tweaking flights with landing gear fairings off. Easier to re-bend gear legs if needed. Install fairings when you have model landings under good control. On models with dummy radial engines and ring cowls, leave those off too until you can land without incidents.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Aug 06, 2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply