FlySky / Turnigy iA6 (and iA6B) voltage telemetry mod - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jul 09, 2015, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99yellowgt
Hi all, haven't posted in a very long time but I thought I would add to this post. this is to mod the IA6B RX so that you can monitor Main Pack Voltage or any voltage without add the TLM Modules. Really no need to monitor the Regulated 5.0V from the ESC. If that is bad you are probably going down anyways. Also on the previous mod for the IA6 if you cut the trace between the headers and the resistor and add a wire, you won't have to worry about trying to plug into the servo connections or supplying the wrong voltage to the rest of the board. Again for fine tuning you could add a 50K pot in this line you added and shot for 1/2 the battery voltage. easier to set the alarms now.
If i do this mod will it power the receiver also? or is just the telemetry sensor input? I'll have to use also the BEC from my ESC? Also can i cut the line at the x and plug the 12v at the circle instead of cutting the pwm1 rail?
Last edited by MikeKash; Jul 09, 2015 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Add picture
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2015, 07:05 PM
No it will not power the receiver, it is only telemetry sensor input, so you still need to use a BEC.
You can cut the trace and solder a wire to the resistor, if you find that easier somehow, the result will be the same.
Aug 09, 2015, 07:16 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Woohoo. Will try this out when mine arrives Anyone know if the Turnigy i6 HK are shipping, supports RX voltage and/or PPM (PPM only with IA6B?) Ordered a programming cable as well but it had to come from china and i might be waiting a while.
Sep 09, 2015, 07:19 PM
I have a FlySky FS-i6, I find the voltage readings to be inaccurate, is there any way to adjust the voltage readings ?
Sep 20, 2015, 05:31 AM

Care

Thanks it works nice. The voltage readings were just about 0.18V lower than real voltage which shouldnt bother anyone.

BUT if you switch by mistake sides when connecting channel 3 (esc/bec) telemetry will blew up . Sadly I did it on mine, reciever than poped and smell. Only thing that burned is something providing the telemetry signal everything else is still working so im using it like before (just no telemetry). If someone know what could have possibly burned plz tell me.
Oct 19, 2015, 12:11 AM
Works like a charm, I bought a cheapy HK version for my no flying friends to use (i fly a MZ24 and MC32) since they don't have Graupner Hott systems I just bought two of these to teach them to fly. This is a great mod and the value it's off isn't enough to bother anyone, if your flying your lipos that close to danger point you should stop.... Glance down every now and then when you know the Lipo is starting to get low and land when you get to the voltage you want to land at. Amazing a 40 dollar system now days can provide real time telemetry... So far (besides for the super cheap feeling.. but it is super cheap lol) this is a awesome little system.. for S's& giggles I flew one out on an APM 2.6 powered old flybared 450 Trex, and was out about 1300 meters with the "park flyer" receiver it comes with (i did mod it with two TPlink 5dbi antennas I was doing a waypoint mission to see range when it went to RTH failsafe) and packet error rate was hovering at about 45 to 60% at 1726 meters it went in to fail safe and jumpped back to about 85% error rate with in a half second and down to about 60% when the heli turned so it was prolly do to carbon shadowing... I see no problem with the antenna upgrade with having 1500 Meters with the park fly Rx of range. Still can't believe I bought two of these complete systems shipped for 79.98... Makes me think paying this big money for radios is not needed when for 3 bills you could buy a top spec cheap radio.. I have a 18mz that I haven't flown since swapping to the Hott systems one is 6 x less then it and the 32 half the cost and out perform it in every way...what's next!?!?
Last edited by Jax3dheli; Oct 19, 2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Oct 19, 2015, 05:36 AM
Just adding my two cents for the alarm/range issue. I use the ia6 on my bash'n'crash quad, and what I did is I connect the battery pad to the balance plug of my battery which represents the voltage of the first cell. Now, if your battery isn't horribly broken/unbalanced, and you set your alarm high enough, monitoring the voltage of 1 cell should give you enough info the land your quad safely once the voltage of that once cell drops below the threshold.

The i6 can set up appropriate voltage ranges for single-cell voltages, allowing you to trigger your alarm at, say 3.6V
Dec 13, 2015, 05:25 AM

iA6B battery voltage

I did the iA6B mod too, it's very accurate , whitin 0.01V. Need to melt the plastic of the pins with soldering iron, or maybe easier to sacrifice an ibus pin.
Tried with 3s, but the voltage divider is 38.4K + 10K, feel free to try on 4s. Some hot glue for fixing the wire is recommended .
Dec 15, 2015, 02:30 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
I finally modified a iA6A park fly receiver. I decided to monitor one cell with a long lead plugged into the first cell of the battery.

The hardest thing about the project is to remove the black insulator block. I finally sprayed it lightly with a lubricant and pried it off.
Thanks
Dec 25, 2015, 02:07 AM
I did voltage mod for iA6B and get pretty nice accuracy (0.01v) for 12 volts. Also I found the maximum voltage - it is 16.17, a little bit lower than fully charged 4S battery. If you give more voltage to it it just shows 16.17 - looks like little overvoltage is save.
Jan 02, 2016, 07:03 AM
Hello,
if you use users benbojangles firmware for your tx, you can set the alerts to fit to a 3s. Soldered the measuring lead directly to the PDB on my quad.
https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-
Last edited by velonaut; Jan 02, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
Jan 16, 2016, 10:31 PM
UET Student

Thanks for the MOD

I crashed three of my models due to low battery voltage and not managing my flight time.
When i saw this thread, i tried this mod with my receiver and it worked perfectly except for a little difference in the voltage readings.
So Thank You triibutu for this awesome thread, i won't be crashing my planes at least not due to low battery . stay blessed!
Jan 26, 2016, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkydiver73
I did the iA6B mod too, it's very accurate , whitin 0.01V. Need to melt the plastic of the pins with soldering iron, or maybe easier to sacrifice an ibus pin.
Tried with 3s, but the voltage divider is 38.4K + 10K, feel free to try on 4s. Some hot glue for fixing the wire is recommended .
What is the reason to melt the connectors on the front of the RX?
Jan 27, 2016, 01:30 AM
You must cut the trace under the plastic (scratch with knife) to separate the 5V BEC voltage and the lipo voltage.
Jan 27, 2016, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkydiver73
You must cut the trace under the plastic (scratch with knife) to separate the 5V BEC voltage and the lipo voltage.
Then what is the cutting of the back doing, the first picture?