New Firebird XL, Anyone Have One yet? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 01, 2001, 06:42 PM

New Firebird XL, Anyone Have One yet?

I just return from my local hobby shop, All I wanted was to pick up an RCM magazine & a couple spare props. They had a display of the Firebird XL & a guy was buying one so I listened in to the managers sales pitch. After the guy bought his, the manager gave me a similar sales pitch. I told him I was thinking of buying a Litestick but he said, you don't want that, it won't turn if you have any kind of wind at all, the XL will!
I am looking for a Trainer for my two boys to learn on, I just bought a Teddy but the LHS owner thinks the Firebird XL is the better bet. Anybody have any Experience with this New model of Firebird? This LHS manager says that the new XL is like Night & day compared with the old Firebird.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2001, 11:13 PM
I got one for my first flight experience. Last year I bought a Clancy Stagger Bee which turned into toothpicks. The XL works great I dove it into the ground at full throttle verticle dive. Picked it up. Put the battery back in and flew it for another 10 minutes. It took 30 minutes to build and there is no set up. On a second flight I hit a fence post at full speed. It actually chipped the wood on the post. On my third flight it was blowing 15 out of the NE. No problem until after 15 minutes of flight the weaker battery could not keep up with the wind. Well we found it in the woods about a 1/2 mile away by listening for motor sounds as I hit the throttle. Amazingly the only damage was a small dent in the wing. I can't imagine a better experience for a beginner. I love it. I'm considering installing a V tail mixing radio with standard servos (it uses a propritary radio with a solid state board that has servos/esc/reciever). Also replacement wings are like $20 tails are $10. Anybody have any thoughts on the new radio install?
May 08, 2001, 11:16 PM
Also if anyone wants some info check out http://www.firebirdxl.com/
May 09, 2001, 05:08 PM
How tight does it turn? I have a fairly small field to fly in.
May 10, 2001, 05:31 PM
In no wind if you are good 50 feet. It does move fairly fast (not that I have any experience to base it on).

Quick Reply