Jun 02, 2015, 10:10 AM
Congratulations Kevin!!! I should have my turbine ver ready by weeks end!! I will post some pics of my build soon... PS Nothing sound and performer better then a Stu fan!!!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2015, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ron and Billy!

I really like the direction JTM is going with its planes - light (7kg or below), 1.7m setups that can be flown with either turbine or a wide variety of EDFs, anywhere from 104mm-127mm. This thing is so light and cuts through the air so crisply that any fan with a thrust of at least 6 kg would fly it well.

Its battery tray and CG also are designed to take very large lipos for long flight times. My 12S/5500 packs were shoved pretty close to the very front to achieve the right CG, so there is plenty of room to fit larger packs - I would say at least up to 12S 9000, which would fly in the 6-7 minute range.

Kevin
Last edited by kchen95; Jun 02, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
Jun 02, 2015, 08:18 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Your L39 looks great Kevin, really nice to hear JTM has worked on the weight and layouts, it sounds great and flew superbly, when can you fly off grass for us? hehe..
I need to get them onto the website this weekend. The size is more manageable for me for sure especially carrying it around, might have to sell the Viper kit off and build one of these instead. Such dilemmas to deal with!
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 02, 2015, 09:06 PM
Speedy little bastard eh?
Jun 02, 2015, 10:04 PM

Jtm l39

If you are looking for a dealer in the USA, Fan Jets USA has them listed on their 120mm jet page. They have 5 color options available.

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/110...F-JETS_c44.htm
Jun 02, 2015, 10:11 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Is this available in white?
Jun 02, 2015, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Yes it's definitely a speedy sucker, and I wasn't even flying anywhere close to full throttle. This plane really has it all - size, speed, power, scale, and long flight time. Can't wait to get it dialed in and fly with 12S 9000 packs.

Mark, I would say the pros and cons of L39 vs Viper are:

Viper:
Easier and more relaxing to fly - better for the long-term health of your heart
Longest possible flight time with the huge battery tray - 8+ minutes possible
Wide wingspan makes it very visible in the air and easy to perform acrobatics
Easier to slow down on landing - the plane practically lands itself

L39
Full-out adrenaline rush in the air - it's a bullet!
More EDF size/brand choices, as the lighter frame doesn't require huge thrust
Easier to carry around - it feels much smaller than the Viper despite being the same length
More agile/aerodynamic characteristics make for a wider flying envelope

Kevin
Jun 03, 2015, 01:02 AM
So nice that he uses MY pics from my website and ones I took in my own back yard!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhague44
If you are looking for a dealer in the USA, Fan Jets USA has them listed on their 120mm jet page. They have 5 color options available.

http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/110...F-JETS_c44.htm
Jun 03, 2015, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYDSRC
So nice that he uses MY pics from my website and ones I took in my own back yard!!!
Copyright should protect your photographs.
Jun 03, 2015, 06:54 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Thanks Kev, nice insight and pretty much how any L39 comparo would go I think! The old 90mm L39 was a lead sled bullet compared to the Viper.

Do you think you could send me a nice pic of your model I can use, JTM are slow to respond this week and don't seem to have taken much in the way of photos yet.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 04, 2015, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
Hi Mark, it's been a rainy day so I couldn't take the plane outside for photos. Here are some indoor photos - hope these help?

Kevin
Jun 14, 2015, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95
Looks like the black Breitling scheme will be out soon too

Kevin
Oh I missed this thread

oh there is my lucky number 7 in Breitling black
I unboxed it last night
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=32

The first blue breitling up to number 5 are already built as turbine models with smoke from powerbox and unilight models.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2271893&page=2 check the build thread here

I will start constructing the molds to create the fiberglass fuel tank for the Turbine Kit set. I should have a sample and maybe in production in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by pavlis; Jun 14, 2015 at 12:34 AM.
Jun 14, 2015, 02:09 AM
Just checked the videos... I'm was not there but by previous experience of Billy and eveybody I think the sweet spot of this plane might go as far back as 120mm for the CG.
Jun 14, 2015, 08:12 AM
We have 3 flights on this Great flying L-29 at this point. I started with the CG at 110mm and it's right on! Weather here has stunk so far this year but there will be a lot more flights on her at Jets Over Kentucky. Video coming soon!!
Thanks Billy D
Jun 14, 2015, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYDSRC
We have 3 flights on this Great flying L-29 at this point. I started with the CG at 110mm and it's right on! Weather here has stunk so far this year but there will be a lot more flights on her at Jets Over Kentucky. Video coming soon!!
Thanks Billy D
watching the landing that Kevin did, I realised that she couldn't keep her nose up for high alpha landing. Maybe she is nose heavy Maybe she just needs some compensation trim after the landing flaps. but the landings were pretty fast. I can't imagine how she will land with that CG and a heavier Turbine setup that Daniel did with 1.5liters of fuel + smoke + lights.

we all saw lots of L-39s and this is one of the lowest wing loadings. I think she should be able to land slower.

Quick Reply