Jul 22, 2015, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParish
I received my new Taranis-E this morning.
At first glance it looks lovely, but then I started looking more closely.
The aluminium on the front has numerous marks and scratches on it
Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics.

Re scratches, is there no protective film covering?

Quote:
the sticks appear to be held in place with one solitary Allen head bolt.
Gimbal rotation adjustment?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2015, 06:16 AM
I have contacted Aloft hobbies as I might want a cleaner looking tray myself. When I hear something I will advise.
Jul 22, 2015, 06:18 AM
It's not the film as far as I can tell, but I'll take a closer look when I get home.

The only other thing from the outside is that the arms are plastic and quite flexible; not sure how well they will last. Only time will tell.

On the whole I am a happy customer. I knew there might be a few niggles with being an early-adopter and I'm quite prepared to live with them. I have placed the TX on the strap and it is SO much nicer for a pinch flyer than the X9D and that is the reason I bought it.
Jul 22, 2015, 06:29 AM
Quote:

The aluminium on the front has numerous marks and scratches on it, the plastic of the case still feels very cheap (which is understandable as it is not an expensive TX) and the sticks appear to be held in place with one solitary Allen head bolt.

I will open it up and take some more pics in a while.

I still like it though!
Thanks for the pics. I am sorry it was scratched up a bit. The one Allen screw does not bother me depending on all of the hidden detail of how the gimbal is mounted. I will be looking for the internal pictures to better understand. In all at this point it looks great to me. I would like to see it on someone with straps.
Jul 22, 2015, 07:49 AM
Quote:

The aluminium on the front has numerous marks and scratches on it, the plastic of the case still feels very cheap (which is understandable as it is not an expensive TX) and the sticks appear to be held in place with one solitary Allen head bolt.

I will open it up and take some more pics in a while.

I still like it though!

Thanks!!! Waiting for more 😀😀
Jul 22, 2015, 09:08 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
I'm interested in what you can do with the Bluetooth.

Mike
Jul 22, 2015, 10:18 AM

Internal Pics and conversion to Mode 1

Hi Folks,

I have taken some internal pics as promised, so here goes:

Name: Inside overview.jpg
Views: 1348
Size: 723.6 KB
Description:

It is not immediatly obvious but the black plastic protrusions in the centre are were an external module would be attached.

Name: Battery.jpg
Views: 1087
Size: 544.2 KB
Description:

The battery is a flat-pack 8 cell 2000mah low self discharge Ni-MH. This should be fine so I won't even bother trying to replace it.

Name: Right Stick.jpg
Views: 1008
Size: 381.2 KB
Description:
Name: Left Stick.jpg
Views: 1091
Size: 541.7 KB
Description:

I don't think that the hall-effect sensors have made it onto this version, they look like pots to me but I could be wrong.

The stick assemblies are fastened in with four self-tapping screws. The whole assembily can pivot slighlty, allowing you to move the stick left or right away from vertical to improve ergonomics. This is what the single allen bolt is for. Tightening the bolt moves the stick towards it and slackening it moves the stick away. You can see the mechanisum in the following pics:

Name: Stick 1.jpg
Views: 1153
Size: 315.4 KB
Description:
Name: Stick 2.jpg
Views: 1079
Size: 389.6 KB
Description:

There are lots of blank spaces to insert switches and inside the TX there is a board at the top where all these switches can be connected:

Name: Switch board.jpg
Views: 1062
Size: 476.9 KB
Description:

The arms onto which the strap attaches are metal within the TX case but are plastic outside it.

Name: arm bracket.jpg
Views: 1058
Size: 388.7 KB
Description:

They are on a push-lock mechanisum like a clicky pen, so to release the arms you push on their base and the arm pops out.

Name: arm mechanisum.jpg
Views: 943
Size: 326.6 KB
Description:

I have never had a strap like this before and I am not a small guy so I hope I am wearing it correctly. The strap leaves the TX pointing slightly down, which is strange but not uncomforatable. I think one of the first mods we will see will be custom arms to help re-balance the TX.

Name: DSC_8557.jpg
Views: 1044
Size: 378.4 KB
Description:
Name: DSC_8558.jpg
Views: 894
Size: 408.6 KB
Description:
Name: DSC_8559.jpg
Views: 827
Size: 774.1 KB
Description:
Name: DSC_8560.jpg
Views: 848
Size: 540.4 KB
Description:
Name: DSC_8561.jpg
Views: 910
Size: 511.8 KB
Description:

Mode 2 to Mode 1 conversion

The TX I received was mode 2 so, as I am one of the few people left who seem to fly mode 1, I set about converting it. With the original Taranis this was VERY easy. You just slackened off three screws and tightened three others. It was not so simple with this. The spring mechanisum is not present on the ratcheted stick and it it not easy to move it as there is a pin on which the return arm pivots which looks like it will be hard to remove. The good news is that the left and right stick assemblies are otherwise identical and their respective wiring looms are the same so I simply removed both stick assemblies and swapped them over. Simples. Now just power on the radio and change to Mode 1 in the radio menu.

So far so good!
Jul 22, 2015, 10:37 AM
Wow, a great unpacking and internals report.
Thank You Chris
Jul 22, 2015, 10:37 AM
Always Building
they are for sale on banggood now:
http://www.banggood.com/FrSky-Tarani...733432201408CW
Jul 22, 2015, 10:53 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
If you look at the pictures Wayne published of the X9E gimbals earlier this year they look the same. At that time they said Hall magnetic angle sensors. Could it be that it looks like a pot, but is actually the Hall system inside?

Mike
Jul 22, 2015, 11:01 AM
Well, I think FreeSky need to change their website as they say its to have a metal shell which it does not. I wonder what other promises have been dumbed down?

Still want one but I want to know what I'm getting first. Less disappointment in the second place.

Richard
Jul 22, 2015, 11:06 AM
That is the hall effect sensor.

-Wayne
Jul 22, 2015, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjain
Hi,

Thanx for the pictures. I have been looking for the pins to which the neck strap is attached.These pins have a nice fitment - press, twist and lock. Where can I get these pins or a tray that comes with them ?
Regardsn n Thanx
Here are some pics of our Taranis Tray. (Sorry for the off topic.) These are specially made for us. The radio is fully locked into the tray. Radio sits level, and can also be stood up for easier storage. The quick connects work great. We also have a deluxe Revcon cross the back strap for them (or the Taranis E). We will be adding these and many other items to the site soon. (Like the Taranis E.)

-Wayne
Jul 22, 2015, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcnewbiechris
Says "coming soon"

Richard
Jul 22, 2015, 11:23 AM
Wayne;

You might have a look at metal replacement arms as an after market item but please make them bendable to adjust to peoples frames.

Great posts Chris, BTW.

Richard

Quick Reply