Apr 22, 2015, 05:21 PM
Discussion

FrSky X9E - Tray Radio - Taranis

Thought it was time to give this radio it's own thread.

First off, a little about the radio. The X9E or Tray Taranis is very closely related to the Taranis Plus (X9D) that you all have heard so much about. This is a 16 channel radio (expandable to 32) with FULL telemetry, speech, and the ability to mix or do just about anything you can think of. The Taranis Plus is very popular for many reasons, and this radio just adds to them (if you like trays).

We still use the amazing OpenTX firmware, this is the heart that gives this beast so much power. While it can be complex to learn at first, most people that use OpenTX comment that they would never go back to a menu driven radio. Once you get past the learning curve, it is all rewards!

OK - So what is different from the normal Taranis? Well, we have improved gimbals with hall effect sensors. We have more switches and more pots, and a nice new OLED daylight readable screen at the top to display key telemetry data. The X9E also features Bluetooth connectivity for data.

Otherwise it is a new case setup for the tray flying style.

I know I am going to get asked this alot, how much and when? Estimated that it will be around $300 and FrSky thinks we may have them in a month or so.

I'll attach some photos on what should be a nearly final sample of the radio. (The knobs are missing from the sliders in these pics.)

-Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2015, 05:32 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Very nice Wayne, I like it, especially the OpenTX. I wonder if there will now be a Taranis Plus Plus X9D form factor with all the goodies from the X9E added to it. Please put me on the list for a Plus Plus if that ever happens!

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Apr 22, 2015 at 06:07 PM.
Apr 22, 2015, 05:39 PM
Aloft Hobbies is working on a Single Stick configuration for the Taranis.

-Wayne
Apr 22, 2015, 05:43 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
That's nice too Wayne, but I was thinking of the Taranis Plus X9D case with the X9E goodies. I guess they would skip the top display.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Apr 22, 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Apr 22, 2015, 05:48 PM
Finger hovering over the Buy It Now button.
Apr 22, 2015, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre
Finger hovering over the Buy It Now button.
Gonna get tired after a FRSKY month.
Apr 22, 2015, 06:15 PM
Another awesome and very capable Frysky radio for a great price.
Apr 22, 2015, 06:19 PM
Wayne, when will pre-order be available?
Apr 22, 2015, 07:21 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
I've been in the RC hobby for a long, long time and I've got to say it is such an exciting time with such cool radio systems. In all my years don’t think remember anything new in the past having such a large impact like OpenTX is having.

Mike
Apr 22, 2015, 09:10 PM
★★★★★★★★
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
That's nice too Wayne, but I was thinking of the Taranis Plus X9D case with the X9E goodies.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=493
Apr 22, 2015, 09:13 PM
SKSS Delaware AMA 1010092
Aloft has a waiting list already started for the X9E,

I know as I've been on it since the first of the year or so and about a month ago I was both the first and last person on the list.

I skipped the Plus upgrade and I'm waiting on the X9E.
Apr 22, 2015, 09:35 PM

FrSky X9E - Tray Radio - Taranis

This looks nice, but I'm thinking how to place an external uhf module on it. With the Taranis, it's almost default to attach it to the stand. Btw, does this support the usual Jr-type modules like the XJT and Orange for DSMx bind-and-fly stuff?
Apr 22, 2015, 09:38 PM
How do we get on the waiting list?
Apr 22, 2015, 11:01 PM
Jack of All Master of None...
Anyone know the price points?
Apr 22, 2015, 11:08 PM
60 years of RC flying
See first post.

Quick Reply