Dec 28, 2019, 10:05 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Congrats on this succesfull full flight.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2019, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptex
My first flight and landing was a success! This airplane is so much fun. Tha baseball field is just the right size to fly around and learn. There was just a slight breeze, but it didn't cause any issues. I just put the airplane in gyroscope mode and flew.

Thanks for all the help making my first flight a success.

I'm feeling confident that in q short amount of time I will mount my floats on this and start to fly off of the lake.
That's great! Happy flying!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Dec 28, 2019, 10:43 AM
Quote:
My first flight and landing was a success! This airplane is so much fun. Tha baseball field is just the right size to fly around and learn. There was just a slight breeze, but it didn't cause any issues. I just put the airplane in gyroscope mode and flew.

Thanks for all the help making my first flight a success.

I'm feeling confident that in q short amount of time I will mount my floats on this and start to fly off of the lake.
Congratulations!!!! So far my second plane even though it arrived busted up is still flying quite well.
Jan 10, 2020, 11:23 PM
I think this was my third flight. Later that day I accidentally flew behind myself attempting a loop and crashed. Glued it back together and it still flies great.
A couple of flights later the landing gear fell off into the field behind the ballpark. I couldn't find them. Oh well... I think after 4-5 more flights I'll rig up the floats.

2020 Teaching myself to fly rc airplanes from you tube videos (0 min 30 sec)
Jan 11, 2020, 02:05 AM
Check my blog....
I have never fitted landing gear to any of my A600s... I have some hundred mile an hour tape on the bottom of the fuse... and just do 'stop and plop' landings... I usually fly off grass...
Jan 11, 2020, 10:08 AM
It flies well!
Unfortunately loosing the landing gear is a common thing with the A600, it is not a very secure attachment. One could probably get around that securing it with a rubber band or tape, but that might make it harder to access the battery hatch.

Flite Test has some videos showing how to fashion landing gear out of thick wire, and even wheels out of foam, and I am sure there must be something about that here in the forum too.

This said, it does fly quite happily without, if you do not mind belly landing, perhaps lining it with some protective tape as suggested.

Jan 12, 2020, 01:18 AM
Check my blog....
My advice for learning to fly these is to fly it right away with some altitude... dont try to fly it low to the ground right away... if low to the ground, you have no time to save it if it goes in...

Have it so if you let go of the sticks, it flies level... so if you have issues... let go of the sticks... it should level out

If you see it diving for the ground (especially when you start changing to 3g), always give it full back stick... that way it wont just streak head first into the ground... any time you add full back stick (elevators) it will no longer streak anywhere and you get a few seconds to gather it up... or at least it wont dive into the ground, possibly wrecking motor/prop/front nose section.

Always close throttle once on the ground... whether landed or crashed... may as well spare the board from frying. If it is on the ground and you still have full throttle, but the prop can't turn, board will fry for sure.
Jan 21, 2020, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcifer
My advice for learning to fly these is to fly it right away with some altitude... dont try to fly it low to the ground right away... if low to the ground, you have no time to save it if it goes in...

Have it so if you let go of the sticks, it flies level... so if you have issues... let go of the sticks... it should level out

If you see it diving for the ground (especially when you start changing to 3g), always give it full back stick... that way it wont just streak head first into the ground... any time you add full back stick (elevators) it will no longer streak anywhere and you get a few seconds to gather it up... or at least it wont dive into the ground, possibly wrecking motor/prop/front nose section.

Always close throttle once on the ground... whether landed or crashed... may as well spare the board from frying. If it is on the ground and you still have full throttle, but the prop can't turn, board will fry for sure.
Thanks for the tips!
Jan 21, 2020, 10:42 PM
I'm finally getting around to building float attachments.
Jan 21, 2020, 10:44 PM
Also this little fpv setup
Jan 26, 2020, 09:15 PM
Well I tried takin off of our lake , but it couldn't get airborne in safety mode. I put in 3d mode and it finally would get off the water but I had full back on the stick. It went straight up into a stall and crashed onto the water. This happened twice. I'm just not experienced enough to pull this off yet.

I'm going to try two modifications to see if I can increase water speed to increase lift to leave the water in safety mode. I believe this mode only lets me have 1/2 of the travel of the control surfaces.

1. I've applied clear smooth tape to the bottom surfaces of the floats to reduce friction on the water.

2. I ordered the more aggressive propeller mentioned in this thread to move more air.

I hope this works out. Tring to take off water in 3d mode was not fun for me as I'm a beginner.
Jan 28, 2020, 04:40 PM
I have no experience with water take off but I guess your floats are adding some weight, meaning that both stall speed and take off speed will be higher than without.
Also the floats will introduce some drag when taking off, which will push the nose down when acquiring speed. Dependently in the bottom shape, they might be able to plane over the water but at first they will be dislocating water when moving.

If it was me, I would check if, at rest in water the floats cause the attack angle of the wings to be too low.
Then I would add shims to the front attachment to increase the angle of attack. That should increase lift at lower speed, however I am not an expert and this is a guess.
You should always take off against the wind as mentioned.

The stabikized mode autocorrects based on the gyroscope, I am not sure if that limits the throttle range too.
The rates settings determine how much the control surfaces travel is constrained, and probably constraints the throttle too. The rates are a separate setting from the stabilizer, I think.

But if your plane is tending to roll nose first in the water when acquiring speed, I would look into the floats shape and relative wing angle first.
Also, do check how your floats affect the center of gravity of the plane, as that can mess up your chances big time.

Jan 30, 2020, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAl
I have no experience with water take off but I guess your floats are adding some weight, meaning that both stall speed and take off speed will be higher than without.
Also the floats will introduce some drag when taking off, which will push the nose down when acquiring speed. Dependently in the bottom shape, they might be able to plane over the water but at first they will be dislocating water when moving.

If it was me, I would check if, at rest in water the floats cause the attack angle of the wings to be too low.
Then I would add shims to the front attachment to increase the angle of attack. That should increase lift at lower speed, however I am not an expert and this is a guess.
You should always take off against the wind as mentioned.

The stabikized mode autocorrects based on the gyroscope, I am not sure if that limits the throttle range too.
The rates settings determine how much the control surfaces travel is constrained, and probably constraints the throttle too. The rates are a separate setting from the stabilizer, I think.

But if your plane is tending to roll nose first in the water when acquiring speed, I would look into the floats shape and relative wing angle first.
Also, do check how your floats affect the center of gravity of the plane, as that can mess up your chances big time.

I figured out pushing/clicking the left stick changes from low to ligh rates regardless of what mode 3d/6g I was in aware I had the ability to use high rates in stability mode.

Also my elevator hinges were so stiff it only moved in the middle making a curved surface.

Thanks
Jan 30, 2020, 07:12 PM
I finally got of the water!
I took off and landed on the lake yesterday. I'm so stoked.

The foam hinges on this airplane are so darn stiff I was only getting a few mm of movement where the horn attached to the control surfaces. I broke them all in manually and the airplane only need a few feet to takeoff into the wind from the lake.

Btw. The clear smooth tape I added to the running surface of the floats significantly reduces the drag on the water. I will certainly be doing this if I get another float plane.

Thanks again to all for your expertise and advice.
With all of your help I now have about 15 flights and my airplane is in great shape with only some minor repairs.
Feb 22, 2020, 10:03 PM
Quote:
I finally got of the water!
I took off and landed on the lake yesterday. I'm so stoked.

The foam hinges on this airplane are so darn stiff I was only getting a few mm of movement where the horn attached to the control surfaces. I broke them all in manually and the airplane only need a few feet to takeoff into the wind from the lake.

Btw. The clear smooth tape I added to the running surface of the floats significantly reduces the drag on the water. I will certainly be doing this if I get another float plane.

Thanks again to all for your expertise and advice.
With all of your help I now have about 15 flights and my airplane is in great shape with only some minor repairs.
Congrats on the A600 Float plane! Finally got a chance to fly mine. Cloudy with calm wind, flew nice! Lost the two black "socks" that attach to the gear. Nice slow flyer, need to practice smoother landings.
XK A600 MINI RC SOUTH PARK FLYER (TEST FLIGHT) (3 min 31 sec)

Quick Reply