Jun 10, 2004, 10:04 AM
Victim of Gravity
Thread OP

HV Zoom Power System

Has anybody out there tried any thing beyond 3s Li-Poly for the Zoom?

According to my calculations (spreadsheet), an UltraFly A30/24 motor, 4s-1p pack of TP-1320mAh cells, and an 8t pinion is quite a combination. The same combo works with 920mAh cells, as well, but provides slightly lower power density.

Note that I've been looking at systems with headspeeds below 2300RPM. If you're willing to run up to 2500 or so, the same A30/24 combo works well with a 9t pinion.

KC
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2004, 11:11 AM
Wow, this is amazing. I was just playing with the latest version of your spreadsheet when I noticed your sample Zoom sheet. When I saw the last column, with the numbers for this new UltraFly outrunner hybrid (?), I had to rub the sleep out of my eyes and look harder! Unbelievable! I immediately did a search, and found them at Aircraft World. I ordered one of each (the 2400 and the 2900...).

I'm already putting together two "HV" Zooms, both using a 4s-1320 setup. Actually, I haven't had the time so Ben is putting one together and our friend, Hung (Hunter69 here...), is doing the other. Initially, one will have the small AXI outrunner (either the 2208/20 with a 11T 1/8" pinion, or the 2212/20 with a 13T...) and the other the 3000 kV version Model Motor unit. I'm looking for headspeeds in the 25-2600 range.

Anyway, these new UltralFlys look like they'd be perfect for the Zoom. I'd like to try the 2900 version with an 8T and the 2400 with a 10T. The nice thing is they have the 2.3mm shaft so pinions are less of a problem.

-- Gary
Jun 10, 2004, 08:28 PM
Victim of Gravity
Thread OP
Wow, Gary - you don't waste any time! The Zoom is likely to be my next heli, and I plan to equip it with a HV power system - so I'm anxious to see how it goes!

I actually got the data for the UltraFly motors from Aircraft World - so I hope they perform as promised. I was certainly impressed with the numbers they posted. Before I gound the UltraFlys, the Hacker B20-26L was my leader, with a 5s pack.

KC
Jun 11, 2004, 01:11 AM
I may try 5s once the 920 packs come out in a couple of weeks. While I'm thinking about it, you should add the AXI 2208 and 2212 series, I had the data entered in one version, but I can't find it. I had to get the data from www.modelmotors.cz but they have English versions of everything. The 2212, in particular might work well with 5s, but I don't remember its numbers being as good as the UltraFly's though.

If I've learned anything over last year, it's that when the numbers jump out at you like that, you need to stop and order the damn motor!

-- Gary
Jun 27, 2004, 02:00 AM
guys, any more news on this?? I dont have excel on my Comp at home so I dont get a chance to play with motors/batt combos much.

Anyone look into any 6s setups?? Reason I ask is I have quite a few 3s packs that I could easily series up for a sick setup.

Tabb
Jun 27, 2004, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
Wow, this is amazing. I was just playing with the latest version of your spreadsheet when I noticed your sample Zoom sheet. When I saw the last column, with the numbers for this new UltraFly outrunner hybrid (?), I had to rub the sleep out of my eyes and look harder! Unbelievable! I immediately did a search, and found them at Aircraft World. I ordered one of each (the 2400 and the 2900...).

I'm already putting together two "HV" Zooms, both using a 4s-1320 setup. Actually, I haven't had the time so Ben is putting one together and our friend, Hung (Hunter69 here...), is doing the other. Initially, one will have the small AXI outrunner (either the 2208/20 with a 11T 1/8" pinion, or the 2212/20 with a 13T...) and the other the 3000 kV version Model Motor unit. I'm looking for headspeeds in the 25-2600 range.

Anyway, these new UltralFlys look like they'd be perfect for the Zoom. I'd like to try the 2900 version with an 8T and the 2400 with a 10T. The nice thing is they have the 2.3mm shaft so pinions are less of a problem.

-- Gary

Gary I was thinking of trying the 2900 version with an 11 tooth to at least match the headspeed of my Hacker 15L running on 9tooth. I use your Thunderpower 1320's do you think my calculations are on track?
Jun 27, 2004, 11:36 AM
For a 3-cell pack, yes, that should give you a h/s in the 2600-2700 range. Is that what you were getting with the 15L?

-- Gary
Jun 27, 2004, 11:47 AM
Well I run my Zoom at 85% throttle so I get a tad less than that. But if you means at 100% then yes Im sure I would get about that. I have not had a chance to tacho it yet.

I was just worried an 11 tooth might bogg a 2900kv motor, but Im hoping that the fact its an outrunner with more torque might cancel that effect.
Last edited by wildstallion; Jun 27, 2004 at 11:50 AM.
Jul 07, 2004, 06:10 PM
Renewed interest
any updates ?
I had planed on using the ultrafly with a 2s2p pack and a 16 tooth pinion but the pinion is too big to fit. looks like i might have to try a 4s setup.
Dec 07, 2019, 05:15 AM
Check my blog....
Hey! I just got teleported here from the 'Mike' thread??

I have gone back to 2004

Quick Reply