UDI 002, the FT009 alternative (under construction) - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 20, 2015, 10:27 AM
Mini-Review

UDI 002, the FT009 alternative (under construction)

INTRODUCTION

UDI is a known brand for its quadcopter. Here with the 002 (or 012 for the chinese market), UDI offers a direct competitor of the popular FT009, a cheap 420mm boat equiped with a 390 brushed motor. Here UDI takes the some magic incredients but adds two new features: the possibility to monitor from the radio the strenght of the radio link and the main lipo voltage of the boat, i.e. two important telemetry informations bringing something really new for such cheap RTR package.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x UDI 002 (with a 2S 1500mAh LiPo with property connector )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Power adadpter and lipo charger
+ 1 x Spare props
+ 1 x Boat holder
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English)

OVERVIEW

The UDI 002 is slightly shorter than the FT012 with a lenght approximatively equal to 40cm. We can recognize almost the same ingredients

Front view

Side view

Rear view

Here, only one desk closing the boat. Anyway, I didn't observed water leak during my first runs. Maybe versus time, since the locker will have some play, the unique canopy desk system will be less efficient.

Upper view

Bottom view

The total weight of the 002 is 550g including the LiPo

LiPo

A 2S 1500mAh lipo without discharge rate mentioned. The connector is a non-common one. I strongly advice to install a T-dean or XT-60
connector on the boat in order to have a large spare battery model choice.

Props

More or less the same type of props than the FT009 with the same pitch.

Disassembling

As for the FT009, a solid shaft is used. It's very important to lube it regulary with a marine grease. Especially the first time

The ruddler servo

The servo plug (3 wires) is associated with the ruddler while the micro-LOSI connector with the security system. As for the FT006/FT009 the security system allows to run the boat only when this latter is in contact with some water. Versus time, this kind of system are quick out of order (due to corrosion I guess) One easy way to bypass it is too install a jumper in the male micro-LOSI connector.

The watercooling system covers well all the brushed motor. After usage, the motor was never hot.

The battery bay can welcome without any problem at least a longer LiPo

Motors

A 390 type motors, slighly smaller than the FT009 motors IMHO

Transmitter

Nice radio for a RTR package. You can grip well the wheel and the spring it not too soft or too strong

You can find some throttle and steering trimming on the front panel

Probably a A7105 FTchip is hidden behind the black blob as RFchip. I will check if the protocol is compatible with the FlySky one.

FIRST USAGE

UDI R/C "002" RC boat first outdoors test (Courtesy GearBest) (11 min 15 sec)

The UDI 002 offers close to 6-7min of fun. Hyper stable even with the presence of small waves, the navigation ruddler and keel represents an improvement versus the FT009. TX starts to indicated "out of range" around 100m. This value represent a strict alert threshold in the sense that the boat is sending this RSSI in a downlink direction. Usually, the RFchip of the RX part don't have any PA and by consequence the downlink is in general much weaker than the uplink (TX=>boat). The top speed is maybe a little bit slower than the FT009. If you can use a LiPo with a higher discharge rate, a faster top speed can be probably reached. After 6-7min, the TX emitted a sound indicating LVC.

CONCLUSIONS

The UDI 002 represents a real challenger to the FT009 and I clearly prefer this new model for its improved stability (vs FT009) and the telemetry feedback information extremely useful in practice. Announced to have a similar price vs the FT competitor, the UDI is almost the perfect RTR entry RCboat model.

UNBOXING

UDI R/C "002" RC boat unboxing (Courtesy GearBest) (18 min 28 sec)

PROS

+ Very stable boat
+ Telemetry informations
+ Cheap RTF model
+ 6-7 min of fun
+ (Almost) no water leaks
+ Efficient watercooling system

CONS

- Battery connector
- Security system (can be bypassed easily)

This boat have been courtesy provided by GearBest in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find the UDI 002 for 56 USD at
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 28, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 AM
Reserved for photos, videos and mods
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Apr 21, 2015, 09:53 AM
http://flahut59.over-blog.com/
Nice!!
hope turn fin and other parts in stock to convert my ft009

EDIT: FT009 seems to be faster, isn' it?
Last edited by flahut59; Apr 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Apr 21, 2015, 05:37 PM
Nice review!

I once had a boat and was scared every time I went full throttle to losing RF Link sooner than later so that feedback from the TX is really nice!
Apr 21, 2015, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flahut59
Nice!!
hope turn fin and other parts in stock to convert my ft009

EDIT: FT009 seems to be faster, isn' it?
Yes a little bit
May 11, 2015, 04:30 PM
Hi

Thanks for the review. I took note of this line in the review:

Quote:
As for the FT009, a solid shaft is used. It's very important to lube it regularly with a marine grease. Especially the first time.
How exactly does one lubricate the shaft? What steps do I need to take in order to properly lubricate the shaft?
May 14, 2015, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc27
Hi

Thanks for the review. I took note of this line in the review:

How exactly does one lubricate the shaft? What steps do I need to take in order to properly lubricate the shaft?
Well the best option is to use a seringle with marine grease Inside (you have some grease kit with such dedicaced tool). If you don't have, you can at least try to insert some at both extermity of the shaft
May 14, 2015, 02:41 PM
Do I remove the propeller and disconnect the shaft from the motor and pull the shaft out of the boat?
May 14, 2015, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc27
Do I remove the propeller and disconnect the shaft from the motor and pull the shaft out of the boat?
Can be an option yes
May 14, 2015, 03:26 PM
Closed Account
I notice that at the rear of cooling coil is not a smooth entrance for water to flow of which can be fixed by a slight more bend or more coil s bit so both exit and entrance are equal. There is a good chance that it could tear hose from flopping around or being to tight a fit. Seen it happen. What I did was put a reducer in the exit line which slowed the flow of water which drew more heat and found it out to be true and not a bunch of bull. The water was very warm to the hand. To each his own on this but worked great for me.
Jul 01, 2015, 09:46 AM
What's the difference between this and the UDI001?
Jul 02, 2015, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscleflex
What's the difference between this and the UDI001?
The 002 is larger
Jul 02, 2015, 05:11 AM
Thanks
Aug 02, 2015, 05:47 PM
my udi 002 runs backwards all the time no matter how I trim it

Help
Aug 04, 2015, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemcc1a1
my udi 002 runs backwards all the time no matter how I trim it

Help