Apr 19, 2015, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Overpowered Great Planes Trainer

Thought I would have some fun with a PT-60 kit I had, can be a fun airplane with bigger control surfaces and a lot of motor!

Great Planes PT-60 + DLE20cc (3 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2015, 02:09 AM
Haha thats awesome
Apr 23, 2015, 05:56 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
I have done something similar with my .60 size Hobbistar. Same size control surfaces... DLE 20!

Apr 24, 2015, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
grosbeak, I came across your modifying thread awhile ago which actually inspired me to build the PT60! It is surprisingly entertaining to fly

Good job on yours!
Apr 25, 2015, 11:47 PM
g force will destroy it
Apr 26, 2015, 09:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by javier668
g force will destroy it
Not if flown within reasonable limits

Any aircraft ever built can be destroyed if stressed beyond its limits
Apr 26, 2015, 06:25 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmehalko
grosbeak, I came across your modifying thread awhile ago which actually inspired me to build the PT60! It is surprisingly entertaining to fly

Good job on yours!
Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks! Yours looks great! And may the (g) force be with you (rather than against you)...
May 05, 2015, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmehalko
Thought I would have some fun with a PT-60 kit I had, can be a fun airplane with bigger control surfaces and a lot of motor!
wow, that model sounds like a full-size airplane out there! (then, again, it also osunds like a chain-saw )

Good flying capability there, does'nt seem like this would be in the "Begginer Trainer" thread?
May 20, 2018, 07:54 AM
leowagen
Guys you just gave me exactly the inspiration I needed!!!
I have a trainer from a Brazilian kit with same wingspan and chord as the PT60. According the manufacturer it it intended for a .46 2 stroke, but after comparing with the PT60, it would be reasonable to power it with a .60 (right now I ha e it with a .52).

Thing is this little guy is flying since 3 years already, so I am wanting to make its flying envelope a bit broader....
So I came across a 2 stroke 91 for another project, and the temptation of overpowering the Brazilian trainer is killing me!!!! Even more if this new project will take not less than one full year ( is a Christen Eagle from scratch, and I am a slow builder).

So, right now I bolted the .91 thing in the planes nose, and if it runs nicely enough (2nd hand engine) i think I'll check cg location and throw it to the field...

Let's see how it goes.

Have nice flights and nicer landings!
May 20, 2018, 07:47 PM
leowagen
Well. The .91 ran flawlessly.... so decision ia taken.

I reinforced F1 with tri-stock all over. Rudder and elevator servos went to the tail and throttle got a micro. Wings are already quite stiff with an alluminum tube as spar along more than half the wingspan and control surfaces are already quite big so no need of further mods. Wheels are 3" du-bro so i have plenty of prop clearance sin this is a natural tail dragger. Right now got a 13x6 but will swap it with a 14x6 or smaller pitch... thrust is unbelievable with a .91 pulling from this 3.4 kg boy... so next week we go up. I'll try to post some pictures later...

Nice week to everyone!
May 29, 2018, 06:07 AM
Id like to see this land on a non windy day, atleast you have plenty of runway :-)
May 31, 2018, 09:53 PM
leowagen
I finally flew mine.... quite afraid of precisely that: running out of run way.

Mine came into final and touch down exactly as before. No matter how much you spice it up, a trainer will always be that.... the slightly higher wing loading is not noticeable, so at least mine will come gently and cart into a 2 wheel roll after it flares...

Quick Reply