Wasp Reserection! - RC Groups
Jun 09, 2004, 07:21 AM
Crash Master

Wasp Reserection!

Some of you may remember the Wasp, Tres and I built Beta's a little over a year ago, and since then there have been any number of guys overpowering and enjoying this plane. It was designed for an IPS, and I have suggested an Egull/Cub 180 geared 4:1, driving a 7x6 or 8x4.3 prop. Several guys have gone brushless.

Recently, I was scratching my head thinking of what to build for a windy-day flyer, when it hit me... My Wasp as hanging here, all lonely and neglected. The wing is small and slick, it responds well to speed, and it's in flying condition!

So, I first opted to re-power it I went with my current favorite power system, a DCM-189, C gearing, and 9x7 prop. It was fine, but not the speed I wanted.... So, switched to an A ratio, and an 8x6 prop (on 2S ET700), and it was starting to feel good! I was sufferring mostly nose overs on landing at the club field, so I went to 3" GWS wheels Now we have a fast, agile, touch and go machine! However, I was still wanting more

When playing touch and goes, I figured I'd see if there was any more performance left in the little gem, so I switched out the 8x6 prop for an 8x4.3, and went to a 3S ET700 pack. YeeHaa! So, naturally I was doing vertical rolls, and hovering (poorly, due to my skills) and all the show-off stuff, when I got disoriented, and put her in hard

So, I figure why leave well enough alone? I built up a rudder, split the elevator, and added a servo... Viola! Now we'll see what she can really do!

She's weighing in at 8.5 oz with the 3s ET700 pack

I know at this weight and wing loading, she's not going to be a great 3D'r, but I'm actually hoping for a good windy-day flyer, with some good pattern handling, and enough power to show off and get stupid I still need some orientation help. I'm going to cut some silver So-Lite stripes for the top of the wing.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2004, 07:22 AM
Crash Master
Hmmm... Now that I look at it, the ailerons look small, don't they
Jun 09, 2004, 09:05 AM
Geez, Gene. Mine's at 7.8oz with an IPS and a 3s etec 700. I thought that was pretty good until I saw your 8.5. Did you fill the wing with helium to compensate for the extra servo and rudder? It does make a great windy-day flyer, IMO. I know it handles wind better than my LT-25 kadet. I like your improvements to the design, and, is that a castoff servo arm you're using as a pushrod guide?
Jun 09, 2004, 09:45 AM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smith
..., is that a castoff servo arm you're using as a pushrod guide?
Yup Wish I had them in Black, but I may just have to 'sharpie' it...

Maidened it this morning is 7-8mph wind, and it was near perfect. A little more roll coupling on the rudder than I hoped for, but not as bad as it could have been. It's a keeper!

No idea why it's so light compared to your's, but as I recall, it was around 6.5oz with the IPS & ET250's... I liked the IPS-2S & 7x6 prop the best, as I recall.
Jun 09, 2004, 11:45 AM
Good to hear its doing well. Mine has had a few (ahem) "rough arrivals" whose ensuing structural repair/reinforcement may be contributing to its weight. I can't remember how the 700 cells compare to the 250s weightwise, but 6.5 oz AUW sounds light! Anyhow, congrats on a successful maiden (or is it a re-maiden if the airframe has flown before?)
Jun 09, 2004, 11:55 AM
Been There! Done That!
Come on Gene... Just go brushless!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Jun 09, 2004, 01:02 PM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Come on Gene... Just go brushless!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Ahh..., but you see, there's no need on this one! Otherwise, I'd have put my Razor-MH in it... Unlimited vertical ~10-15mph, 30mph or so level speed, and who knows what flight time... I'd guess 15 minutes with some mixed management... (5A max, static)

There's even enough power to do some sorta ugly knife edge flying Not enough for knife edge loops, so I guess I need more? Actually, I think that limit is rudder.

Oh yea, touch and go's on a weedy soccer field this morning, too

The DCM-189 is a GREAT motor, when applied to right airframe