Jun 08, 2004, 08:00 PM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP

Futaba 9CHP: Can I go from mode 2 to mode 1?

Hi all, I have the op to buy one of these radios for a reasonable price and was wondering if it is possible to change from mode 2 to mode 1. The throttle is on the left at the moment and if I could put it on the right (via some spring and ratchet switching) I may buy it.

Also it is a heli radio, but I don't do heli's. It will be for elec planes and gliders. What is the difference in the heli version to the plane version??

Cheers
Paul
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2004, 09:54 PM
There is no way to change the xmitter over, send it in and the service center can change it. If you will be flying gliders the heli version is the one to get because the top switch arrangement is different and easier to use, plus the heli version has no ratchet on the throttle stick. Other than that they are identical. A good investment is the larger capacity nimh xmitter pack, as the 9c is a power hungry box, and the rubber handgrips are nice to get.
Jun 09, 2004, 04:48 AM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP
It's a bummer I can't do it myself as I don't know if anyone in Aus will be able to do it. Maybe the importers?
I kinda hoped I wouldn't have to play with it.......I just wanna buy it and spend more time programming it all up than flying with it

What are the differences in the switches that make it better for gliders than the aero version?

It's about half price, so I'm still thinking it might be worth it in the long run?

Cheers
Paul
Jun 10, 2004, 12:38 AM
The 3 position switch for start and speed offsets are on the top left on the heli version and on the top right for the aircraft version. Just makes it a bit more convienant when flying a full house glider with all your camber controls on the same side of the xmitter. The smooth left stick makes for a better crow control IMHO. As to who would service the radio,,, contact the importer for Australia and they should be able to get that info to you. Or try the futaba website.
Last edited by talonxracer; Jun 10, 2004 at 12:41 AM.
Jun 11, 2004, 06:37 AM
de-registered abuser
Thread OP
Thanks talon. I haven't bought it yet and still doing my homework first. From reading threads here, it's a damn fine radio. If anyone has opinions of it please feel free to post your thoughts on it.

Cheers
Paul
Jun 11, 2004, 07:44 AM
I am left handed. Naturally, I started using my Futaba 7CAP in the standard manner, aileron/elevator on the right.

After receiving my flight simulation program, I decided to try reversing the controls thanks to the computers (PC) ability to facilitate this test.

The differences, for me, is like night & day. I think common sense would dictate, I would find more comfort & control having the two most used controls under my most used hand. I don't understand why radio's can't be ordered, pre-configured left or right.

Because of the spring loaded right stick & the rachet on the left stick for throttle, I started turning the radio over (right side up, but, upside down). This puts the aileron/elevator under my left hand, with the controls reversed (throttle up/down, etc.) Although, it is awkward due to the antenna pointing towards my body, I would be very reluctant to return to the standard configuration. I have discovered more natural control & response & it just feels 100% better.

I e-mailed Futaba about the conversion, but, they haven't responded yet.

Futaba has a Q&A on their web site that indicates, the conversion has to be performed by Futaba. There is an alignment involved.

There has to be a lot of lefties out there. What are you guys doing & what are the opinions of the right handed experts?
Last edited by NewOldFlyer; Jun 11, 2004 at 07:56 AM.
Jun 11, 2004, 09:29 PM
Well the electronic portion of the mode switch can be done very easily on the 9c, press mode and end then turn on the xmittr, this brings up the stck mode menu. You can then switch between mode 1 and 2. The manual says the stick conversion,ie ratchet throttle and respring the left stick has to be done at the service center. I see no reason why this cannot be done by someone competent with tools. From what I have seen at most service centers the tech's are no rocket scientist's.
Jun 15, 2004, 12:09 PM
If you are flying mode 1 with gliders than perhaps the 9CA would be better for you than the 9CH. The 9CA has the 3-position camber switch on the right side of the TX, and it might be easier to reach that switch with your right hand if you are controlling elevator/rudder with your left hand.

Also beware of buying a pre-owned 9C - some of the very early ones had bugs in the glider menus that might prevent you from using some functions on v-tail gliders.

YMMV,

Buzz
Jun 16, 2004, 04:13 AM
Hold on there - almost anyone can change modes on a Futaba tranny. They only tell you to send it in so you dont void your warranty, not applicable here if its already second hand.
I have done it myself on an 7UAP and an 8UAP, and others in my club have done 9C radios. Takes about 10 minutes.
Remove the battery and the back of the transmitter, identify using your manual the screws that adjust the stick tensions. Simply swap over the ratchet plate and srping between the 2 sticks and close it back up, change the mode electronically as detailed a couple of posts up and thats all.
Jul 06, 2004, 07:50 AM
I'm the lefty & not sure if this one was response to my post or another.

I know the ratcheting & spring effects are mechanical & I have no doubts I can make those changes. I hesitate because of the Futaba warning which I am not so sure, is not a valid warning.

Can programming reassign the throttle/rudder functions to the right stick & the aileron/elevator functions to the left stick?

I'm new to most of this & I had the "email notification" turned off... it's turned on now & I do appreciate all advice, suggestions, etc., thank you.

bob
Jul 06, 2004, 08:11 AM
The stick assignments you mention, thr/rud on left and ail/elev right sounds like Mode 3, unusual but do-able, in a 9C hold down the Mode and End button while turning the transmitter on, it will say Stk Mode # where # is the mode selected, turn the dial until you have the mode you desire and then turn off the TX. When you turn it back on the change should have been saved.
Les.
Jul 06, 2004, 10:23 PM
I have the 7C. I'm still trying to get a grip on the programming capabiities of this radio, so, even when I read the programming text, it is still not 100% clear, to me.

If I can, effectively, switch the functions of stick 1 (left) with stick 2 (right), via the radio's programming capabiities, then, I would make the mechanical changes myself. I am not concerned about voiding the warranty. I just want to enjoy my radio without the handicap of yet another real world restriction or penalty for being right brain dominate

I will check the programming process for my radio to see if the same sequence works on the 7CAP.

Thanks again.

bob

Quick Reply