Nov 22, 2016, 03:09 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
I've flown 20+ flights since my last post and it's flying great. No bad habits, only true and straight.

It's a keeper.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2016, 04:15 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
Now that I've gotten use to flying the F3A, it feels like it was to drop it's wing while banking. I do use the rudder, but not too much(I'm not kicking the ass out). Today it was windy and it just feels weird while banking/turning. Anyone else feel/see this?????
Jan 03, 2017, 08:19 AM
Scott, could you fix the broken link in post 1 (and laters)? Perhaps even attach a picture that is less prone to linkbreak??

Thanks!
Jan 03, 2017, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
done deal, the link or the company must have closed up. pic added to
Jan 18, 2017, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286
I've flown 20+ flights since my last post and it's flying great. No bad habits, only true and straight.

It's a keeper.
Hi,

Can anyone here comment on how well this plane flies advanced pattern maneuvers? Also, how much roll & elevator coupling to rudder does this have in knife edge? I've read good things on RC universe. Also, please comment on power to weight ratio...can it do rolls or a 4 point roll on a vertical upline?

I'd buy this to fly a knife-edge loop. I love knife edge flight but my Eflite Yak has too much coupling so I can't pull out the bottom of the loop...because it rolls on me. I'd really like a sport plane that doesn't have any coupling but has power to weight to do unlimited vertical climbs right out of the box.

Also...I've heard on RCu this will do rolling loops but read somewhere that it was difficult. How is it?

Thanks,

Andy
Feb 12, 2017, 11:55 AM

Rx battery, servos?

Hi,

I've unpacked my Olympus and assembled it and checked the electronics for functionality. I found that the rudder servo was shaking a bit sometimes after a throw of more than 25-50%. Then it would keep shaking on its own.

Have you guys had trouble with the FMS servos? Is everybody just replacing them?

Also...are most of you running an Rx back? I don't see much cooling for the ESC. I also have no experience with the FMS ESC's...this is my first FMS.
I'm inclined to run an Rx pack because of past bad experiences (Eflite 60 A ESC in a Carbon Yak...caused 2 crashes...didn't like me flying 2-3 consecutive flights with only 1 min cool down to switch in a new Lipo).

I'll look in here regarding the throws etc...I've heard the manual is not very useful for proper throws.

Thanks for any feedback,

Andy
Feb 12, 2017, 12:21 PM

Rx battery, servos?

Hi,

I've unpacked my Olympus and assembled it and checked the electronics for functionality. I found that the rudder servo was shaking a bit sometimes after a throw of more than 25-50%. Then it would keep shaking on its own.

Have you guys had trouble with the FMS servos? Is everybody just replacing them?

Also...are most of you running an Rx back? I don't see much cooling for the ESC. I also have no experience with the FMS ESC's...this is my first FMS.
I'm inclined to run an Rx pack because of past bad experiences (Eflite 60 A ESC in a Carbon Yak...caused 2 crashes...didn't like me flying 2-3 consecutive flights with only 1 min cool down to switch in a new Lipo).

Can the FMS servos handle 6.6v (2s Life)?

I'll look in here regarding the throws etc...I've heard the manual is not very useful for proper throws.

Thanks for any feedback,

Andy
Feb 12, 2017, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
I fly mine with no rx pack and I am not having any issues with the tail servo, I thought some one else had trouble with a servo but not sure what one
Feb 12, 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39
I fly mine with no rx pack and I am not having any issues with the tail servo, I thought some one else had trouble with a servo but not sure what one
Thanks for the feed back. Where's your cg? I have the battery, a 4000 6S, all the way in the back of the tray and the tray as far back as it goes and still I get about 170mm. I don't see how they achieve 185mm without tail weight if using a 6S 4000 lipo. I'd have to go down and see how the battery loc compares to the cg...32006S might be worse.

Set up the throw just now...also need help there. Are you guys using the radio to radically increase servo travel? With the aileron and rudder control rods in the outer hole of the arm, for max travel, I only get around 35mm up/down or left/right. The manual says I should get almost double this...I don't see how. Unless they are measuring the full throw from up to down!! I'm measuring from centered control surface to max throw. I used the thickest part of the ailron (root) and rudder (bottom edge).

I also re-checked the rudder servo and what it's doing is vibrating/chatter if I give it throw and then suddenly let go of the stick (back to neutral). It takes 3-4 oscillations to get back to center. Not what you want in a precision aerobatic airframe.

Andy
Last edited by sothpaw; Feb 12, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Feb 13, 2017, 05:05 AM
Thread OP
I am not sure how far back my is, I start out with a good balance and then fly move the pack until I get a good CG inverted with no nose down.
for my thos I just set things in the middle and put in 50% dual rates and this works for me.
Feb 13, 2017, 11:52 AM
Just putting mine together, and I've done a bit of forum reseach.
Consensus is the CG of 185 is too far aft. 160 is now the norm.That is what I shall use.
I am going to use a 5 cell Nimh receiver battery. Don't trust stoc set up.
I found the FMS servos on line and they say 4.8 - 6 v. so OK there.

My query needs someone who has been flying the Olympus for some while.
I cannot transport it in one piece, the wings have to be put on each trip at the field.
Do they stay firm when bolted or does some play start to come in?

If so, has anyone come up with a solution?

Looks a lovely plane. Thanks in anticipation
Feb 13, 2017, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas141
Just putting mine together, and I've done a bit of forum reseach.
Consensus is the CG of 185 is too far aft. 160 is now the norm.That is what I shall use.
I am going to use a 5 cell Nimh receiver battery. Don't trust stoc set up.
I found the FMS servos on line and they say 4.8 - 6 v. so OK there.

My query needs someone who has been flying the Olympus for some while.
I cannot transport it in one piece, the wings have to be put on each trip at the field.
Do they stay firm when bolted or does some play start to come in?

If so, has anyone come up with a solution?

Looks a lovely plane. Thanks in anticipation
When I put mine together, the wings seem very firm....good tight fit for a foamy.
I trial fitted it and it just fits in my chevy suv with the wings on. I won't be able to fit
anything else large though.

My 2S Life runs 6.6V. Do you think that's ok? I tried it on the ground and it didn't blow anything up.

a
Feb 13, 2017, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothpaw
When I put mine together, the wings seem very firm....good tight fit for a foamy.
I trial fitted it and it just fits in my chevy suv with the wings on. I won't be able to fit
anything else large though.

My 2S Life runs 6.6V. Do you think that's ok? I tried it on the ground and it didn't blow anything up.

a
There is really no need to run a rx pack. Your past experience was probably caused by the ESC going bad. I had a Splendor and it had that same combo. It kept cutting out. So on the ground we put an amp meter on it and it was pulling 67 amps at full throttle.

As far as your servo it might be because its a digital servo. They tend to twitch.
Feb 14, 2017, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu
There is really no need to run a rx pack. Your past experience was probably caused by the ESC going bad. I had a Splendor and it had that same combo. It kept cutting out. So on the ground we put an amp meter on it and it was pulling 67 amps at full throttle.

As far as your servo it might be because its a digital servo. They tend to twitch.
Agree about the servo twitch.Digitals do that. But to say there is no need to run a Rx pack?.
Without one, ( or a übec), If the esc shuts down for one brief moment you will crash. End of.
I won,t risk it just for the sake of a rx pack. It,s not a cheap foamie .

Re the wing. Mine screws firm - at the moment- but Friends have expressed fears about what effect repeated wing mounting may do to the firmness.
Would be nice for someone who takes wings off after each visit to the field to confirm or otherwise the firmness.
Feb 16, 2017, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu

No, my Eflite ESC wasn't that old, maybe 50 flights. I don't think the cooling in the Yak 54 was good and it was pulling 50A on a 60A controller. But what I think hurt the controller was that I was putting 2-3 consecutive flights on it with just quick battery changes. So figure 12 min of almost continuous use. But this was not in the desert sun...it was at the end of the day as the sun was going down (crowds at my club leave and I can fly more at this time).

It worked fine before and after; I could not find what was wrong so replaced everything and now run an Rx pack.

You can't be too careful...one time when it acted up, I was doing a low knife-edge pass over the field and it came in at me and I just got control back as it barely went over the 3 ft fence demarking the pit area (yes it flew into the pits where spectators would be if this was a crowded time). It's just not safe.

I will maiden tomorrow. If nobody's around, I may try without the Rx pack but in the long run, I want to use something to back up the ESC.

Quick Reply